Reordering the mainsite

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Reordering the mainsite

Post by ivanovic »

Since the announcement of 1.0 is now really long ago and we also do have a release of the first development version post 1.0.x, time has come to reorder some things. I thought about dropping the announcement and moving the generic text upwards a little.
Also I would like to have a line for downloading 1.1 directly on the mainsite. I already tried to accompilsh this by simply moving atoundsome parts and putting a line for downloading 1.1. Be aware that I do NOT know how to work with css and this stuff.
Mock-Up 1:
http://www.wesnoth.org/index-ivanovic.htm
This one has a simple problem: The css does not work for having the downloads in one line like it was in the old version.
Mock-Up 2:
http://www.wesnoth.org/index-ivanovic2.htm
Here is the problem a little different: The space between the two versions is too big and makes the text part look too tiny.

Any suggestions on how to place the download links? Maybe complete versions of the files? I am waiting for your comments / suggestions.
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

I think the first is better.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

I think second one is better, it would be very good if you put some text above 1.1.x download.
ILikeProgramming

I'd write some more "nonsense" text about the races in wesnoth or the fact that it has translations.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Okay, changed the css of the site to allow the parts be placed closer together (thanks to chrber). Have a look at the 2nd version again.
There are now also version 3 and 4:
http://www.wesnoth.org/index-ivanovic3.htm
http://www.wesnoth.org/index-ivanovic4.htm
Remember that in 3 and 4 still some text is missing for the top. This single sentence is not enough.
ILikeProgramming

I can't find the overview on number four. Is it supposed to be there?
I think now number 3 is the best if some more text is added.
Last edited by ILikeProgramming on January 4th, 2006, 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

I think 3rd is best right now.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

On 4 it is meant to have a nice overview above the download links.
ILikeProgramming

I think the best way is to have the downloads and overview visible at the same time, unless a "Dowload" button is added at the top.

Maybe there should be a dowload button.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

ivanovic wrote:On 4 it is meant to have a nice overview above the download links.
That would look best at least to my eye, then. Otherwise (like currently) the news are stupidly low down, so on a 1024x768 screen you have to actually scroll down to see the news, which isn't very intuitive at least to me. New should be something you can easily see, something you don't need to look for.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Tux2B wrote:Am I the only one here to find mock-up 2 is the best?
I thought I said I liked it, but looks like I forgot to.

EDIT: Looks like I forgot which way they went, If I'd get to choose I would prefer 4, then number one. 2 would be the last one I'd take.

Hey cool, this post jumped over two others.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Am I the only one here to find mock-up 2 is the best?
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Anyar

Post by Anyar »

I like 4.
Even as the fingers of the two hands are equal, so are human beings equal to one another. No one has any right, nor any preference to claim over another. You are brothers. - Muhammed
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

Okay, I updated http://www.wesnoth.org/index-ivanovic4.htm. It is now rather close to what I imagine be a final version. If you have a better fitting text, please post it in here.

EDIT: I replaced the old index.htm with the file index-ivanovic4.htm. The old page is still reachable via index-old.htm.