Can I suggest a handy change?

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dtw

Can I suggest a handy change?

Post by dtw »

If someone takes the time to look at the search.php file they will find a line similar to this:
<td class="row2" colspan="2" valign="top"><span class="genmed"><input style="width: 300px;" class="post" name="search_keywords" size="30" type="text"><br><input name="search_terms" value="any" checked="checked" type="radio"> Search for any terms or use query as entered<br><input name="search_terms" value="all" type="radio"> Search for all terms</span></td>
If you change:

Code: Select all

value="any" checked="checked" type="radio"
to

value="any" type="radio"
and

value="all" type="radio"
to

value="all" checked="checked" type="radio"
Then all searchs will be AND by default - which is a good thing cos we all know the OR setting provides 100 of useless results :)
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

A very good suggestion.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
dtw

Post by dtw »

Blimey that was quick ;)

I do try to be constructive when possible :D
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

So... who is it that has the power to do this? Ettin does, I know, but who else?...

Maybe, if it doesn't get fixed quickly enough, we should hack the server and fix it ourselves. :twisted:
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
dtw

Post by dtw »

With shell access it would take approx 15 seconds :roll:
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

Other changes to default search I would suggest:
-display results as posts. Usually the only way I can get a search to yield results is when I search for some words in a post I remember seeing earlier. In this case searching for topics is useless...
-display entire post. Otherwise the post syntax breaks.

I have to change both of these practically every time I do a search, which is annoying.
However, there are probably people who would disagree... is there a way to make it modifiable on a per-user basis :?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I would strongly disagree. You may not be aware of it, but the "view posts since last visit" uses the search function, so your changes would make it display most recent posts as posts - a Very Bad Thing, IMHO. ;)
The World of Orbivm
dtw

Post by dtw »

Turin is dead right there ;)
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

turin wrote:You may not be aware of it, but the "view posts since last visit" uses the search function
Maybe you could make it use non-default settings?
Anyway, the second change wouldn't affect that.
Also, sometimes I do want to search posts since last visit by post instead of by topic. Is there a way to do that?