New Webpage look

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Filin

Post by Filin »

And one more issue - now home page have no "shortcut icon" (little human farm which you can see in address line and in tabs in many browsers).
It's no good when some pages of the site have icon and some haven't...

BTW: Wesnoth forum pages have no icon either.
Arcamis

Post by Arcamis »

The only trouble with Li'sar's picture is that the sword is being weilded in her left hand (because she's facing us) which doesn't really make sense because almost nobody and certainly not royalty would learn to weild a sword left-handed due to the satan issue. Then again, WINR so she could be a lefty. Her right arm is behind her back, as you can vagely see on her right hip (although that might be a riding glove, I can't really tell)
bruno
Inactive Developer

Post by bruno »

Arcamis wrote:The only trouble with Li'sar's picture is that the sword is being weilded in her left hand (because she's facing us) which doesn't really make sense because almost nobody and certainly not royalty would learn to weild a sword left-handed due to the satan issue. Then again, WINR so she could be a lefty. Her right arm is behind her back, as you can vagely see on her right hip (although that might be a riding glove, I can't really tell)
Flipping the image is a quick way to solve the handedness issue.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Arcamis wrote:The only trouble with Li'sar's picture is that the sword is being weilded in her left hand (because she's facing us) which doesn't really make sense because almost nobody and certainly not royalty would learn to weild a sword left-handed due to the satan issue. Then again, WINR so she could be a lefty.
Oh boy. I would think that a princess going around fighting with swords would be a far bigger issue in the real-life middle ages than her daring to do it with her left hand.

It's a light-hearted fantasy game; not a history lesson.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Actually Jetryl's original is flipped. So she's right handed in the original, and it probably will be that way in the game. They just flipped it on the webpage to make it fit better on the masthead.

But we really are making on mountain out of a molehill. Wesnoth is a fantasy world.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

The new page looks great! I almost did not notice, because I directly come to the forums, and not to the main page... well, after a while I would probably notice missing "wiki" link in main menu. ;-)

Now when almost everything is wikified, and the "international" links are gone, could it be a good idea to re-create the international pages in wiki?

BTW: Is there a reason why the main page is not in wiki? IMHO there is no technical problem with this. And to prevent vandalism, the page could be locked...
scott

Post by scott »

Viliam wrote: BTW: Is there a reason why the main page is not in wiki? IMHO there is no technical problem with this. And to prevent vandalism, the page could be locked...
What's the benefit of putting the home page in the wiki?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Viliam
Translator

Post by Viliam »

scott wrote:What's the benefit of putting the home page in the wiki?
Err... easier editing, maybe? What's the benefit of putting pages "About" or "Support" to wiki?

It just... when all pages except one are in wiki... and the one does not seem special (except that it is the starting page)... I was curious.

If there will be also wiki pages for other languages, I suppose the starting pages for other languages will be in wiki?

Personally I do not care whether all pages are in wiki, and one is static HTML, I am just curious why. I think the reason may be that it is the most often visited page, so keeping it static makes it faster. (But for example I do more often visit the forum main page, also because all changes on main page are announced in forums too. It could be interesting to measure whether the main page gets more hits than the forum main page... maybe the speed improvement is not so big.)
scott

Post by scott »

If you put every page in the wiki except for one it's a clear sign that it's the one page you don't want edited. The home page is probably the most prone to vandalism, and if vandalism occurs on the home page it's worse than an internal page, don't you think? If risk = probability x severity, then the homepage comes in at #1.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

scott wrote:If you put every page in the wiki except for one it's a clear sign that it's the one page you don't want edited. The home page is probably the most prone to vandalism, and if vandalism occurs on the home page it's worse than an internal page, don't you think? If risk = probability x severity, then the homepage comes in at #1.
It can't be edited by anyone but the admins. It's possible to set access rights on a page basis, so this is no argument against using wiki for everything.
appleide

Post by appleide »

could be just me, but I like the old website better...
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
ILikeProgramming

Post by ILikeProgramming »

appleide wrote:could be just me, but I like the old website better...
I do too.
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

Viliam wrote:Now when almost everything is wikified, and the "international" links are gone, could it be a good idea to re-create the international pages in wiki?
Even though it might seem like a good idea at first, I don't think making internationalized wikis is a good idea at all. It is almost impossible to keep translations of wiki pages up to date.

In this case I think it makes more sense to have separate wikis, but I don't think we can handle more on w.w.o. We already had to disable some of the features of mediawiki to make it faster on our current server.
Viliam wrote:BTW: Is there a reason why the main page is not in wiki? IMHO there is no technical problem with this. And to prevent vandalism, the page could be locked...
Yes, there is more than one reason actually. In no particular order:
1. I didn't have time to "convert" it.
2. Static pages are faster.
3. Related to (2): We have not released 1.0 yet. What if we get slashdotted? Again, our resources are limited... and we don't want to bring this server down ;)
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol

Post by ettin »

ettin wrote:
Viliam wrote:Now when almost everything is wikified, and the "international" links are gone, could it be a good idea to re-create the international pages in wiki?
Even though it might seem like a good idea at first, I don't think making internationalized wikis is a good idea at all. It is almost impossible to keep translations of wiki pages up to date.

In this case I think it makes more sense to have separate wikis, but I don't think we can handle more on w.w.o. We already had to disable some of the features of mediawiki to make it faster on our current server.
Btw, I forgot to mention that it would be good to have something like http://gnome.org/start/2.12/ for wesnoth 1.0. I already have the "engine" to make it work... now we only need the real content. It would be really appreciated if there was someone willing to help.