Easy access to useful campaign information

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Spirit_of_Currents

Easy access to useful campaign information

Post by Spirit_of_Currents »

It would be nice to have a place just for those spoilers that make campaigns easier. (For example, how to get every loyal unit in HttT.) Why is my idea good? Because it may be boring to read walkthroughs or scenario code just looking for secrets.
There are very much electrical currents in my brain.
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Easy access to useful campaign information

Post by beetlenaut »

Spirit_of_Currents wrote: June 24th, 2018, 2:53 pm It would be nice to have a place just for those spoilers that make campaigns easier. (For example, how to get every loyal unit in HttT.) Why is my idea good? Because it may be boring to read walkthroughs or scenario code just looking for secrets.
In order to make this list, someone is going to have to read through the walkthroughs or scenario code looking for secrets, which, like you say, would be boring. That may be why nobody has jumped on this idea. To get this done, you might have to do it.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

For what it's worth, there's a list for HttT in the final scenario's WML. Whether that's up to date is a different question, getting all the secrets might require reading all of the scenarios' code, and updating the walkthrough as you go.
Tad_Carlucci
Inactive Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci »

I updated that list last year during the build-up to 1.14

To be honest, I considered deleting it but I decided that it doesn't matter because the walk-through threads don't just tell you about must (if not all) of them but tell you specifically what to do for each.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.
shevegen

Post by shevegen »

I was about to create a new thread when I just found this one here.

My proposal is not the same as the threadstarter, but I would like to have a single overview page listing all
campaigns with a short description (I don't need spoilers but you could use a button with a javascript
even or something like that, to reveal information if you'd like to, similar to the forum here).

I remember that the wiki has had something similar, even if it may not have included all campaigns.

I also suggested somewhere else to add more information to campaigns, including things such as
"last update", date of creation etc... current maintainer. This information is already available
somewhere, here and there, but what I would prefer is some kind of one website that would have
all these things bundled neatly together.

It would help immensely finding out the names of some older campaigns people may have played
in the past. Actually that is also the reason why I suggested this - I can not remember the name
of a certain campaign, and while I could surely ask, I think it may be easier if I could just search
until I may find it (if campaigns are described somewhere in a central manner). This could
also happen within the in-game help, but this is probably harder to create than a webpage
or a wiki.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

shevegen wrote: September 1st, 2018, 10:31 pm I would like to have a single overview page listing all
campaigns with a short description
http://add-ons.wesnoth.org/
The different versions of BfW are on separate pages, but otherwise it is pretty much what you asked for. In the list view, hover over the icon to see the author's description.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide