Cannot upload screenshots to Wiki

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

greeneyelink

Cannot upload screenshots to Wiki

Post by greeneyelink »

Hi Everyone!

I started editing a wiki page (WML for Complete Beginners: Chapter 4). Editing the text goes without any problems. However, when I try to upload some screenshots, using the Embedded file icon, it fails. The pop-up appears, I can select my file for upload, click on the Upload button, and then I receive this error message.

Unknown error: "{"xhr":{"readyState":4,"responseText":"MediaWiki API is not enabled for this site. Add the following line to your LocalSettings.php<pre><b>$wgEnableAPI=true;</b></pre>","status":500,"statusText":"MediaWiki configuration Error"},"textStatus":"error","exception":"MediaWiki configuration Error"}".

I also tried the default upload page, there I was met with a permission error.

You do not have permission to upload this file, for the following reason:
The action you have requested is limited to users in one of the groups: Administrators, Uploaders.

I use Firefox 59.0.2 (64 bit) on Fedora 28 beta.

Should I apply for Uploaders membership, or is the solution somewhere else?
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Cannot upload screenshots to Wiki

Post by Iris »

Long story short, I was asked for a long time to add the option to allow admins to upload files to the wiki, then nobody ever made use of it or even mentioned the matter again after I enabled it. At some point last year I was going to propose uploading all existing hotlinked images to the wiki to sort out certain issues that may arise from using those, so I created an Uploaders group to not require every upload to go through the admins, but then I got sidetracked and forgot completely about it.

I can add you to Uploaders but you need to give me your account name. Also note that I don’t know much about how image embedding normally works in MediaWiki when using files uploaded to the wiki, and the stylesheet might or might not have some issues with those. I can quickly fix any styling bugs you uncover though.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.