Design of the new web site

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LAZA

Design of the new web site

Post by LAZA »

Hai @all,

i like the new and fresh design in the web site. :!:

But it causes two minor problems (at least on my end :whistle: ):

1. RSS feed is broken again

2. System requirements of the development version have no explanation about the foot notes:
"1024x768 or larger screen²" <--- we are talking about the "2" here, just to be sure

On the table of the stable versions there is the explation, on dev it is missing.

Thanks in advance
LAZA
Dell Precision T3500
-
* Manjaro Xfce 64 Bit - Testing *
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Design of the new web site

Post by Iris »

LAZA wrote:1. RSS feed is broken again
I’m not sure which feed you mean. The only (Atom, not RSS) feed for general news we have had for the past 4 years or so is the one associated to the News forum section: feed.php?f=62.
LAZA wrote:2. System requirements of the development version have no explanation about the foot notes:
"1024x768 or larger screen²" <--- we are talking about the "2" here, just to be sure

On the table of the stable versions there is the explation, on dev it is missing.
My mistake, the dev version doesn’t have any footnotes. It’s fixed now.

Thanks for the feedback!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
SFault

Post by SFault »

The wesnoth style (traditional?) is missing from the forum settings. It's kinda sad since it really helped to show that I'm not just on some random forum but the mighty wesnoth site :cry:
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

SFault wrote:The wesnoth style (traditional?) is missing from the forum settings. It's kinda sad since it really helped to show that I'm not just on some random forum but the mighty wesnoth site :cry:
It was dropped now, since the forum software is eventually going to be upgraded from phpBB 3.0 to phpBB 3.2, at which point it would have had to have been dropped anyways.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
LAZA

Post by LAZA »

shadowm wrote:
LAZA wrote:1. RSS feed is broken again
I’m not sure which feed you mean. The only (Atom, not RSS) feed for general news we have had for the past 4 years or so is the one associated to the News forum section: feed.php?f=62.

I had the one from the website "wesnoth.org".
Was broken last year and now the address has changes.
Thanks.
LAZA wrote:2. System requirements of the development version have no explanation about the foot notes:

My mistake, the dev version doesn’t have any footnotes. It’s fixed now.

Thanks for the feedback!
:thumpsup:
Dell Precision T3500
-
* Manjaro Xfce 64 Bit - Testing *
lea

Post by lea »

In old design of https://addons.wesnoth.org/1.12/ page I could hover mouse cursor over add-on's icon image to see its description in tooltip.
It does not work with new design - is it by design? Can anybody please confirm this loss of functionality to make sure it is not because of peculiarities of my PC?

Also there is a typo on https://addons.wesnoth.org/1.10/ page: its headers state that it is "Wesnoth 1.9 Add-ons List" - someone forgot to change the number when Wesnoth 1.10 lost its "beta" status?
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

lea wrote:In old design of https://addons.wesnoth.org/1.12/ page I could hover mouse cursor over add-on's icon image to see its description in tooltip.
It does not work with new design - is it by design? Can anybody please confirm this loss of functionality to make sure it is not because of peculiarities of my PC?

Also there is a typo on https://addons.wesnoth.org/1.10/ page: its headers state that it is "Wesnoth 1.9 Add-ons List" - someone forgot to change the number when Wesnoth 1.10 lost its "beta" status?
What OS/browser are you using? It works for me:
Screenshot from 2017-07-25 01-13-11.png
The text right above the list of add-ons also says:
"Tip: Hover over the type field to see an explanation of the add-on type and over an icon to see a description for the add-on."
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

lea wrote:In old design of https://addons.wesnoth.org/1.12/ page I could hover mouse cursor over add-on's icon image to see its description in tooltip.
You may need to force-refresh the cache using Ctrl+F5 if you’ve been there before.
lea wrote:Also there is a typo on https://addons.wesnoth.org/1.10/ page: its headers state that it is "Wesnoth 1.9 Add-ons List" - someone forgot to change the number when Wesnoth 1.10 lost its "beta" status?
Not a typo. The problem is that the script that generates that index is told to read the 1.9 add-ons server, which ended up becoming the 1.10 instance as well. I could add a special case to make it pretend 1.9 is 1.10 buuuut... EDIT: Okay, there you go.

And before anyone asks, nope, regenerating the listings for 1.8 and earlier is not practical because none of those add-ons server instances are running anymore, and the script needs an active connection to them. Several of them wouldn’t even compile on the server anymore.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
lea

Post by lea »

Pentarctagon wrote:What OS/browser are you using? It works for me:
your implicit assumption is confirmed: it works in newer version of my browser. false alarm )
shadowm wrote:You may need to force-refresh the cache using Ctrl+F5 if you’ve been there before.
it did not work for me, so I'll have to use newer browser for this feature or live without it
shadowm wrote:I could add a special case to make it pretend 1.9 is 1.10 buuuut... EDIT: Okay, there you go.
what about "buuuut..."? did you expect issues to arise from such a special case?
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
lea

Post by lea »

SFault wrote:The wesnoth style (traditional?) is missing from the forum settings. It's kinda sad since it really helped to show that I'm not just on some random forum but the mighty wesnoth site :cry:
I agree...