Add mainline campaign threads to Strategies & Tips?

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Inky
Forum Moderator

Add mainline campaign threads to Strategies & Tips?

Post by Inky »

Seeing the content feedback spam the forum (by the way, the thread title for S4 becalmed has a typo) reminded me of my idea a while ago to start (official) threads for mainline campaigns / scenarios in the Strategies and Tips forum, so players can discuss strategy and share replays without spamming the Gameplay Feedback forum or having to fill out an inane survey :P. I know there are already campaign threads in Scenario & Campaign development but that subforum is practically hidden so no one posts there.

But maybe, it's just me that would be interested in this? What do other people think? Making some threads couldn't hurt, right? (Well, besides the time spent making them :P)
Sudipta

Re: Add mainline campaign threads to Strategies & Tips?

Post by Sudipta »

Aside from the SotBE campaign, i am not really interested. Then again i'm tired of replaying the mainline campaigns over and over. It would be helpful for new players to have such threads since its not uncommon to see new players asking for tips about mainline campaigns. But, the big question is who will make these threads ? There are many who can do it, but don't have the time or will.
Anyways, I think its a bad idea to make these for mainline campaigns. Instead, it would be better if similar threads were made for UMC's. It would not only serve to promote said UMC but also it would be more effective because some UMC's have different game mechanisms and most have completely diffrent units and factions. All new players will play the mainline campaigns anyways so this is a good way to promote UMC's to new players.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
Inky
Forum Moderator

Post by Inky »

Sudipta wrote:Then again i'm tired of replaying the mainline campaigns over and over.
Well, can't argue with that :D
It wouldn't be very hard to make a thread for each campaign (not each scenario), but you are probably right - although I actually find it fun to replay the mainline campaigns (I think the most awesome thing about Wesnoth is that the same campaign is different every time!) I can imagine that most players, especially the ones on the forum who have been playing a while, are probably sick of the mainline campaigns by now :whistle: I guess users can just make their own threads for campaigns they find interesting.
And I definitely agree it would be nice to have more discussion (strategy, or just in general) about UMCs because they're awesome (actually that was the whole point of the "let's play" threads), though people already sort of discuss strategy in the campaign development threads.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Inky wrote:I can imagine that most players, especially the ones on the forum who have been playing a while, are probably sick of the mainline campaigns by now :whistle: I guess users can just make their own threads for campaigns they find interesting.
Ten Points to Gryffindor!!
Inky wrote:And I definitely agree it would be nice to have more discussion (strategy, or just in general) about UMCs because they're awesome (actually that was the whole point of the "let's play" threads), though people already sort of discuss strategy in the campaign development threads.
Well you are the pioneer of this field. Never would have thought a lets play could be that entertaining until i came across your IftU LP :D Mainline wesnoth pales in comparison to UMC's. For example TLU 2.0 ended a long wesbreak for me. I doubt any of the mainline campaigns could have a similar effect.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play