Factions and Eras article

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The_Gnat

Factions and Eras article

Post by The_Gnat »

Hello,

I found this article while searching for user made eras. It has a section about major user made eras but it seems long out-of-date.

Currently the top 15 main eras (by download count) are: (1.12)
-War of Legends (39623)
-Ageless Era (34505)
-18th Century Warfare Era 2.1.1 (19675)
-Archaic Era (17365)
-Era of Magic (13487)
-WarOfTheGods (9571)
-Era of Myths (8688)
-Imperial Era (8415)
-Bob's RPG Era (8218) Though this is not specifically an era - but instead creates a RPG dynamic
-The Era of Chaos (7824)
-Era of Legends (7767)
-Era of Four Moons (7659)
-A New Land Era (7408)
-Era of High Sorcery (6855) Though this is also not specifically an era - but instead gives you (a sorcerer) many options to cast spells
-17th Century Eastern Europe at War (EEaW) (5716)

Factions that are very popular include:

-The Elder Ivrim (8142)
-Chalifa (7108)
-The Elder Elves (5909)
-Age of Tentacles (5921)
Honourable Mentions (mentioned because of their large size)
-The Golden Age
-5 Lords Reign
-Galactic Empires
-Uber Default
If anyone has suggestions for other eras (that are fairly large or popular) I am happy to consider adding them to the honourable mentions category.

I decided to post this so that players looking for eras will have an easier time finding them until this article is updated. I do not suggest that all 19 of these eras & factions should be included in the article but at least it should be updated to include the War of Legends and Ageless Era.

Thank you,
Last edited by The_Gnat on December 2nd, 2016, 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Re: Factions and Eras article

Post by Ravana »

About ageless there is https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Ageless_Era, also not completely up to date, but with 2015 it should be more accurate than 2009 version.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Do you know that this is a Wiki and you can edit it yourself, instead of just waiting for someone else to do it? (You need to log in first before seeing the edit button.)
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Hello,

I had recently a look on that article. All the eras listed there are actually automatically included from the era-specific articles. So, as for this article and as it is now, one would need an article for the different eras.
About faction articles in the wiki, I think they do not really make sense since the most is covered by the units database, but If you know a faction very good, one can explain how to play them or tell more about them in an separate article. This could be helpful for the lesser known factions.

However, there is another article, which is linked more prominently.
In the bar above, Create -> GuideToUserMadeContent.

In the last 10 years many articles did get created, but also many lost their importance. Maybe that is one of them.
If you would like to write articles or tidy up the wiki, you're welcome to.
Because of spambots, you must send a mail to the Wiki Administrators Group with your desired username and email address to sign up for the wiki.
Try out the dark board theme.
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I decided to post this so that players looking for eras will have an easier time finding them until this article is updated. I do not suggest that all 19 of these eras & factions should be included in the article but at least it should be updated to include the War of Legends and Ageless Era.
I had recently a look on that article. All the eras listed there are actually automatically included from the era-specific articles. So, as for this article and as it is now, one would need an article for the different eras.
About faction articles in the wiki, I think they do not really make sense since the most is covered by the units database, but If you know a faction very good, one can explain how to play them or tell more about them in an separate article. This could be helpful for the lesser known factions.
I do not mind making an article for War of Legends, but it will take me a while since I have semester exams around a fortnight away and I have to extract most of the faction lore from https://wiki.wesnoth.org/Timeline_of_An ... -official)

Off-topic:
Spoiler:
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Excuse my ignorance but i was considering creating an article for the Reign of the Lords but the wiki help page on creating articles was not very helpful and i was wondering how to create an article that looks similar to the other 'major user made eras' articles.

Thank you
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

That Wiki is years out of date, and it hasn't been a source of complaints. It's probably not worth the effort. If you can use the forum link field for the add-on manager ([feedback] tag in the server.pbl, I think), that should be more effective. I don't think the forum link feature existed in 2009.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

Right, it was introduced in 1.11.8 which was released 3 years ago.