Wesnoth Units database - how frequently it regenerates?

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eagle_11

Re: Wesnoth Units database - how frequently it regenerates?

Post by Eagle_11 »

None of my addons ever got displayed their unit-trees over there, seems to be broken for a long while.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Ravana wrote:This is the same error, as in new version has not been tested. Anyways 1.10 is irrelevant, I dont think this is going to get updates on that site. Notice last updated times. November for 1.10.
So I vote for another update! Who of Admins or GMs should care of it? Is there really no possibility to make it fully automated?
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

It looks like it is "fully automated", its just that there is a bug. You can't automatically fix the bugs unfortunately.

It might be that someone stopped it from running when the creator did not come to fix it, or something like this.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

iceiceice wrote:It looks like it is "fully automated", its just that there is a bug. You can't automatically fix the bugs unfortunately.

It might be that someone stopped it from running when the creator did not come to fix it, or something like this.
Its turned off, or it works only when someone click button "BOOOOM go go go", I tested it by uploading MWCtest on server and I've found no info here about it:
http://units.wesnoth.org/1.10/overview.html
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

It would be incredibly inefficient to have it update realtime. But as I said, testing with 1.10 is useless.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Ravana wrote:But as I said, testing with 1.10 is useless.
For you its useless because your doing already addons at 1.12, some players are still on 1.10 so they may have different opinions in this situation.
This does not change the fact its required to activate this testing addons & generating eras/campaigns websites.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I am not saying that people do not use 1.10, just that it will not be included in official updates. Whole point of calling release stable it to drop support of previous one. So what is there now about 1.10 might remain up for some years, but not much more.

When I happen to backport something to 1.10 then only as thanks to the one who reported problem. However for this case maintaining old version might be unneeded.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

units.wesnoth.org is rebuilt weekly and only for (current) stable and master.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Generous

Post by Generous »

shadowm wrote:units.wesnoth.org is rebuilt weekly and only for (current) stable and master.
Excuse me, but a date in a bottom of 1.12 (Stable) unit tree page - Sat Feb 7 - indicates that there are no weekly rebuilds (and also I dont see any changes that happened after Feb 7) . Something is broken, that's why rebuild schedules are not working. Please check the rebuild process
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

So when exactly we (some addons developers) can expect next update/rebuild of Wesnoth eras trees - I'm just curious?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

At 23:40 UTC on Thursdays for master (1.13.x) and 23:40 UTC on Fridays for 1.12.x. So, in 22 minutes as of this writing.

This schedule is subject to change at any later time without notice, so please don’t quote me on this.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Sooooo, only I see "PLACE ERAS HERE" when you press "Era" on left side of screen and "PLACE CAMPAIGNS HERE" when you press "Campaign" with no list of them?
http://units.wesnoth.org/1.12/mainline/ ... nline.html
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Ravana:

You shouldn't expect the website tool to be able read every addon correctly I think. If understand correctly, it's written in Python, and likely has minor differences with the parser code (very complicated and in C++) in the actual game. For most addons that probably wouldn't matter. But for some it probably will, if they use any unusual indentation / formatting conventions.

The solution is to replace our C++ parser with a parser generated according to a grammar, and use that exact same grammar in Python. Or alternatively, don't write the second tool in Python, just write it in C++ and copy paste the parser code.

But the first suggested change is likely to break some add-ons and therefore too controversial among the devs to commit it. The second one requires rewriting the website tool, and seems unlikely to happen since who wrote it probably doesn't like C++ if they chose to use Python.

This also might not fix the issue you reported, I'm just saying, I would expect typical bugs along the lines "the website tool doesn't work perfectly" not to be really fixable.
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

You shouldn't expect the website tool to be able read every addon correctly I think. If understand correctly, it's written in Python, and likely has minor differences with the parser code
Such a difference would be a bug though and should be fixed. I think WML follows a rather simple grammar anyway - the very complicated part is the C++ preprocessor - but that is re-used by units.wesnoth.org and other tools (through wesnoth --preprocess).

Most problems with units.wesnoth.org right now are with interpreting the WML after it has been parsed, and there you are right, some things just can't be done. E.g. if an addon dynamically creates units with Lua (I don't know if that's possible) then units.wesnoth.org could never find those.

And then some addons like Ageless Era just are too huge for the hardware it all runs on :P Although right now it seems to work again... just with an @ symbol in the name, i.e. "@Ageless Era" instead of "Ageless Era". And I have no idea where that @ comes from.