saved games repository for testing

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GbDorn

saved games repository for testing

Post by GbDorn »

Is there a place somewhere on the website where one can upload/download saved games for mainline campaigns? I'm looking for a repository of saved games for all scenarios and all campaigns. The idea is saving some time when debugging a specific scenario and not having to play through all the campaign.

If there isn't such a place, what do you think of creating one?
gfgtdf
Developer

Re: saved games repository for testing

Post by gfgtdf »

you can try to use debug commands to jump to scenario.

ps: why do you want to debug mainline scenarios ?
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Yes, if you find bugs in mainline scenarios, those should be reported to their maintainers. (There shouldn't be any such bugs at the moment? What version are you on?)

One issue with the repository idea is that in campaigns, units and WML variables are carried over from one scenario to the next, so it is generally not sound to debug each scenario individually.
GbDorn

Post by GbDorn »

I think I've spotted a typo in THOT 07 (dialogs not fitting for all difficulty levels) and I want to verify it in game first. I would like to test some stuff in UTBS too. So it's not really "debugging" in this case.

Yet one can probably find other use cases for the repository: studying an interesting macro in a scenario, testing compatibility between game versions, scenario balancing, ...
iceiceice wrote:One issue with the repository idea is that in campaigns, units and WML variables are carried over from one scenario to the next, so it is generally not sound to debug each scenario individually.
A single save for any scenario (and difficulty level) would be sufficient (at least initially). The idea is just to have variables in a correct state.
One doesn't have to play all the campaign though: someone else can get the last savefile and continue from it (this could make for an interesting minigame).
Then with more saves we would need a mechanism to label and/or identify savefiles from the same "lineage".

Otherwise I'm running 1.10.6 (with some custom backports) and 1.11.12.

PS: Is there a documentation on savefiles? This wiki page is lacking info I think. The related page linked on this other one does not exist.