Outdated Pages

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

obnoxiousman

Outdated Pages

Post by obnoxiousman »

Every time I click the "Create" it brings me to a a page that has all kinds of helpful information on stuff like making Campaigns and Scenarios. The problem is, 50% of them (at least) are outdated. Is there any way I can help? Or is there anybody that can update it?
"Oh, Hamlet, thou hast cleft my heart in twain!" --William (Bill) Shakespeare, Hamlet
I made The Brotherhood of Wesnoth, a super fun (and incomplete) Campaign!
AI
Developer

Re: Outdated Pages

Post by AI »

It's a wiki. Anyone can update it. (though you have to create a wiki-account first)
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

But then again, does everyone have the ability to update it? I'll bet persons (such as myself) are eager to help update, but none of us can really try to update it alone or because of our lack of ability.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Well yes everyone has the ability. You find something out of date, and then it's like writing a school paper. You research the topic, and you write about it. Except it's even easier because you don't have to cite sources, you can do it in paragraphs at a time, and you can move to a new topic if that one bores you. Lastly, rather than getting an F and getting grounded, if something is wrong someone else can just undo that particular edit.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Fixing typos, misspellings, poor phrasing, broken links, vandalism, merely trying whatever material is currently there and confirming whether it works, is all useful. And if you start on something trivial - such as a typo hunt - you'll start seeing more advanced areas where you can also help. You will also notice a constant stream of signups on the Recent Changes page, many of which are just bots. They don't generally do anything for some time, then after a few days or weeks they put in a bit of link spam. Monitoring changes by such users catches such stuff promptly, before it accumulates to annoying levels. The more eyes watching, the better; just having extra people monitoring the Wiki is helpful.

ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

obnoxiousman: If you'd like to help, what I would do is focus on one area of the wiki. Maybe you want to focus on particular guides or tutorials that interest you, or articles that you feel knowledgeable enough to write/edit/update.

Sadly, yes, the wiki does need more attention. I know Aethaeryn was putting some good work into it (among others), but yeah, it could use some more lovin'. Maybe I'll consider lending a hand once I finish Bestiary.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

I'm a little concerned about using the info in the Wiki, especially when it says "Outdated: Don't use as a guide". This phrasing implies that all the info in the section is outdated and invalid. Is that true? It doesn't seem like it, but I am loath to waste my time writing WML that is wrong.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Actually, the WML reference pages are probably the most up-to-date.

If you're unsure about something you've found or the wiki doesn't explain it well and you have questions, I suggest hopping on IRC and asking in #wesnoth or #wesnoth-dev.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Crendgrim
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Crendgrim »

So .. what is exactly *really* outdated in the Wiki? Shouldn't we just delete all these "outdated!" marks from it? I'd guess that's one of the most important reasons why new WML programmers get stuck.
If I knew where all that outdated stuff is - I didn't find anything so far, except for some references to 1.4 or 1.6 - I would help emerging it. However, I don't see what's wrong at all :?

Crend
UMC Story Images — Story images for your campaign!
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Here are the pages that say they're especially outdated:

http://wiki.wesnoth.org/BuildingFactions
http://wiki.wesnoth.org/BuildingMultiplayer

Additionally, the Scenarios, Campaigns, Multiplayer Campaigns, and Units are marked as outdated.
PeterPorty
Translator

Post by PeterPorty »

It's barely outdated, you can use pretty much all of it.
"The real world is for people who can't imagine anything better."
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

That's great and it is what I assumed, but that's not what the sign says.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

BuildingFactions:
-Using {@campaigns....}, both the directory and the include style are obsolete.
-Modifying multiplayer.cfg. You should never do this unless you're writing a patch for mainline wesnoth, rather than UMC.
BuildingMultiplayer:
-Uses the 'campaigns' path for UMC, which is, again, obsolete.
-Advocates directly including map data into your scenario. This is a bad idea.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

Thanks for the pointers, AI. Do you think I should remove the bits where it talks about inputing map data into your multiplayer file? I think I'm going to take a crack at changing/updating those guides. Something I'm finding a little difficult and wordy to describe is the two seperate paths you can use for UMC. One is /data/multiplayer but the other is My Games/Wesnoth/data/add-ons. Hopefully someone will double-check my work.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

data/add-ons is the better choice. You cannot distribute your work from data/multiplayer/ AFAIK
Putting things there would work, but it's not the right way to do it.