[Proposal] Auto-lock old threads

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including support requests and new ideas.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

monochromatic

[Proposal] Auto-lock old threads

Post by monochromatic » May 13th, 2010, 6:48 pm

The Problem:
With the current rate of thread nemocracy (sometimes old threads that we want to stay in there and not come out anymore), there are threads every-so-often that were created like in 2008 and bumped just to make a useless comment. For example. Even with the posting guidelines, many people, especially new members or people who don't understand english very well, still ignore/forget those rules and bring those threads out of the blue. It's not really an issue, it's just annoying sometimes. To "clarify" this I have a proposal for preventing this to happen:

The Solution:
Threads at are (# of months old, let's say 6 months) old are auto-locked. Simply that. After a certain number of months of inactivity in a thread, it will automatically locked, to prevent thread nemocracy. Threads would be able to be un-locked by request through a moderator/administrator. [not_too_sure]And the OP can unlock it himself as well[/not_too_sure]. This way even if you wanted to bring back a topic from 2006, you can't, unless a mod allows you to.

Possible Problems:
I'm not sure if phpBB supports this, though. If this is a good/popular enough feature, I'll ask phpBB if they can include such a system. It may look awkward to have "bombs" on all the threads from like the 5th page on...

Your thoughts please.

(By the way, should this be in Ideas? But it is related to the forums, not the game itself...oh well. Mods, move this if you'd like. :wink: )

norbert

Re: [Proposal] Auto-lock old threads

Post by norbert » May 13th, 2010, 7:41 pm

elvish_sovereign wrote:bumped just to make a useless comment [...] let's say 6 months) old are auto-locked
I'm not sure that's the right solution...

- The last post in the thread with photos of Wesnoth players is from January 16th: about 4 months ago. Since it's not sticky and on page 9, new visitors don't know it exists. If it's auto-locked after 2 more months, adding photos to it will be impossible.
- The last post in the thread about eyerouge's wesParse was from April 2nd, 2008: about 2 years ago. I could add some questions/comments there on May 9th this year, because the thread was not auto-locked, and eyerouge changed the instructions and linked to his code.

Truly useless comments could be removed no matter where people add those. If people comment about a subject and there's a newer thread about the subject than where they posted, the comment could be moved and the old thread locked.

ShikadiQueen

Post by ShikadiQueen » May 14th, 2010, 1:07 am

elvish_sovereign wrote:nemocracy
Oooohh...shiny.
I got better!

ancestral
Developer

Post by ancestral » May 14th, 2010, 3:16 am

If people get upset that threads that are oh-so-long ago get raised, then yes, there should be an auto-lock. You're basically saying don't do what you can do. If you shouldn't do it then don't allow it.

I like the proposal. Maybe confine it to non-workshop threads.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer

shadowm
Site Administrator

Post by shadowm » May 14th, 2010, 7:27 pm

elvish_sovereign wrote:Threads at are (# of months old, let's say 6 months) old are auto-locked. Simply that. After a certain number of months of inactivity in a thread, it will automatically locked, to prevent thread nemocracy. Threads would be able to be un-locked by request through a moderator/administrator. [not_too_sure]And the OP can unlock it himself as well[/not_too_sure]. This way even if you wanted to bring back a topic from 2006, you can't, unless a mod allows you to.
I personally don't like this kind of automoderation practices because there's some occasional use for resurrecting old threads in different forums, i.e. if you have new art to contribute to an old thread, a patch that would implement an idea posted in Ideas, the desire to take over an abandoned campaign or something interesting to add to an old open discussion. Thread necromancy isn't necessarily bad if done under the right circumstances for the right reasons.

If someone wanted to resurrect an old thread they could find the auto-locking system to be a discouragement for working with the community on old ideas or projects. I don't want to discourage new members from joining the Battle for Wesnoth Project and its community by establishing constraints that I'd have found intimidating back when I joined the board. So, I'd prefer to continue with the current system in which we reserve thread locks for cases where the Posting Guidelines are violated or the point in discussion is useless, worthless, etc.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.

monochromatic

Post by monochromatic » May 14th, 2010, 8:49 pm

Makes sense. I guess it's fine as is. I just get pretty annoyed when some ramdom person resurrects a random thread just because. Thanks for your comments everyone!

ancestral
Developer

Post by ancestral » May 14th, 2010, 10:08 pm

If it's imperative to resurrect an old thread then why not contact an admin, or request a merge after the fact? Sounds like an exception to the rule personally.
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper » May 14th, 2010, 10:13 pm

Likewise, if someone resurrects an old thread with a pointless post then why not just delete it or split it and let the thread be?

norbert

regular versus condensed thread rows

Post by norbert » May 26th, 2010, 4:09 pm

elvish_sovereign wrote:With the current rate of thread nemocracy (sometimes old threads that we want to stay in there and not come out anymore), [...]
I was recently thinking about the board lay-out. The "Technical Support" board, for example, contains five announcements and three locked topics. The more of these, the sooner other topics move to pages 2 and further. Also, each thread row has the height of two lines of text because the Last Post column lists the post's date and author on separate rows. Sometimes the Topic column also contains a separate row with "[Go to page: ...]". Since the width of the aforementioned lines is limited, because the forum never lists all page numbers (but uses, for example, "1 ... 8, 9, 10"), I was thinking that if each thread row would only have the height of one line of text, the number of threads listed per page could probably be doubled. Also, I was wondering what this would look like at various resolutions. Anyways, I've created screenshots of what the "Technical Support" board looks like in regular and in condensed format at 1024x768, 1280x768, 1280x800 and 1440x900. These images are attached to this post. At 1024x768 it doesn't look pretty (some rows are two lines, some one), but for the other resolutions I think it's an improvement. Either way, I thought it was fun to see what it looks like.
Attachments
regular and condensed thread rows at: 1024x768
regular and condensed thread rows at: 1024x768
regular and condensed thread rows at: 1280x768
regular and condensed thread rows at: 1280x768
regular and condensed thread rows at: 1280x800
regular and condensed thread rows at: 1280x800
regular and condensed thread rows at: 1440x900
regular and condensed thread rows at: 1440x900

Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn » May 27th, 2010, 5:03 am

The site allows for a need to approve posts, though we don't use it. Would it be possible to set that function so that new posts in threads older than [x units of time] need approval before being actually posted/visable?
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well