Searching the forum

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Chris NS

Searching the forum

Post by Chris NS »

What's happened to the search forum option? I used it the other day, but now it's gone.
Lizard

Re: Searching the forum

Post by Lizard »

It's disabled.
when I wanted to search it wrote:Sorry but you are not permitted to use the search system.
:(
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

For the moment we had to deactivate searching due to database overload (our search table is just too big to work for the database server...) but Mist (aka cycholka) is working on improving the situation. In the mean time you can eg use google[*] for searching the forums, just go to google and enter this in the searchbar

Code: Select all

searchterm site:http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/
Since google is rather fast with indexing our forums, it should be a usable interims solution. If you want to search in the wiki just replace 'forum' by 'wiki', if you want to search everything, just use site:http://www.wesnoth.org/.

[*] Of course you are free to use any other search service, too. Eg yahoo does update the entries for the wesnoth forums stuff about as regulary as google does.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Maybe add a button that automatically searches the site with Google so that people actually still use search?
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
db0

Post by db0 »

Ah, so this is where the "New Posts" option went and this is why the database was b0rking all the time recently,

Nice to know the status. An announcement would be a good idea so that people don't have to ask