Forum Upgrade

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Forum Upgrade

Post by anakayub »

The little black dots indicate threads that you've posted in (or locked) as far as I can tell.
Take a breath.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Looks pretty nice. The only criticism i have is about "view new posts". I use it all the time to check for new posts and it used to show the (sub-)forum in a separate column. That way i knew which threads to stay away from :wink: . Now it is much harder to spot.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
db0

Post by db0 »

Looks nice! Still no feeds though :(
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

vicza wrote:
turin wrote::? You mean you didn't notice that the background color on these forums is exactly the same as that on the home page and wiki?...
Well, actually not. :hmm: Except for this header with Lisar the background is white. In wiki, too.
Nope. It's not white. Maybe your monitor settings are wrong or your vision is bad, but the little white boxes you have against the light color show that they are not white (you should be able to see the difference), just a really light shade of brown, like the background (see the margins of the forum page).
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

turin wrote:The forum posts are on a considerably darker color (with the wiki bg color sitting there with no text on it), and IMO it makes the text hard to read. [...]

Anyone else agree with this assessment?
I agree. I made the new theme yesterday, and when I saw it online with more than just a few test posts I immediately felt that way, too.

I think I'll just make the darker post background lighter, and the one that is currently the lighter one can stay on as the darker.
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

i think its outright screaming for desaturation too.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

I'm glad for the upgrade.

One thing I would suggest is to either alter the forum theme so stickies are grouped with announcements, or just make those stickies announcements. Having to look past them to find the first current thread is a little annoying.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

turin wrote:Overall, probably an improvement (though it'll take getting used to).

But - the smilie selection needs to be fixed. I mean, come on - " :P "? Looks idiotic. The old smilie obtained by ":P" was much better.
I second this. Can the administrator change it so that it looks like the old one?

AFAICT, that's the only smilie that's changed and the others are just fine.
DDR

Post by DDR »

I like it. Blue was nice, though, and easier to read. This forum seems a little more... cluttered.

Thanks. :)
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

The transfer seems to have lost a lot (but not all) of the graphics attached (or perhaps linked) to posts. eg. http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19638
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The yellow read link colour is nicer, thanks =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Ravenheart

Post by Ravenheart »

Nice! Couldn't have phpbb2 forever could we? :)
silentoutpost.net • my moosic
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

irrevenant wrote:
turin wrote:Overall, probably an improvement (though it'll take getting used to).

But - the smilie selection needs to be fixed. I mean, come on - " :P "? Looks idiotic. The old smilie obtained by ":P" was much better.
I second this. Can the administrator change it so that it looks like the old one?

AFAICT, that's the only smilie that's changed and the others are just fine.
The "laugh" icon also got lost: Image
It also seems the old "tongue-stick-out" icon had fallen off the forum somewhere, so here's a re-upload of it.
Attachments
icon_razz.gif
icon_razz.gif (175 Bytes) Viewed 3249 times
JW

Post by JW »

The forum style definitely seems like an upgrade, but I have to say that I hate the warm colored background. I'm a fan of cool colors.
mog
Inactive Developer

Post by mog »

Two things I noticed:
1. At several places the stylesheets specifies "font-family: Helvetica, (...), sans-serif". Helvetica looks quite ugly on screen (no anti-aliasing), so I suggest removing it from the stylesheets altogether, or at least move it further back in the list.

2. The colour of the new posting indicators (orange) is quite similar to the new background colour, which makes it difficult to see at one glance which forums/topics have new posts. So we should either tone down the background or change the icons.
Aurë entuluva!