Wiki URLs

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including support requests and new ideas.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Post Reply
NeoPhile
Posts: 155
Joined: July 22nd, 2004, 4:33 am
Location: Halifax, NS, Canada
Contact:

Wiki URLs

Post by NeoPhile »

Is it possible to make URLs like http://wiki.wesnoth.org/ReferenceWML work the way you'd expect them to?
VS
Translator
Posts: 187
Joined: November 27th, 2005, 10:07 am

Post by VS »

It's http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReferenceWML ... domain is www, not wiki, and you must add a directory wiki before the page title.
User avatar
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus
Posts: 3692
Joined: August 15th, 2005, 7:57 am
Location: I'm all around you.

Post by irrevenant »

Yeh, I believe Neophile was requesting if the URL format could be changed.

We have a units.wesnoth.org, so it theoretically should be possible...
Last edited by irrevenant on February 24th, 2007, 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
NeoPhile
Posts: 155
Joined: July 22nd, 2004, 4:33 am
Location: Halifax, NS, Canada
Contact:

Post by NeoPhile »

Yes, irrevenant is correct. The URL http://wiki.wesnoth.org does actually work, so it makes sense to take it to it's natural conclusion. It also makes auto-complete easier when typing in a URL, because www tends to be dominated by forum posts.
User avatar
Jetrel
Art Director
Posts: 7242
Joined: February 23rd, 2004, 3:36 am
Location: Midwest US

Post by Jetrel »

The internet would make a lot more sense with regards to its actual structure if URLs came out like:

http://org.wesnoth/www/


So far as I can tell, that's how they're really structured, hierarchically - I believe /www/ is often a folder on the webserver, and if it isn't, it'd be aliased by the software to wherever the index folder actually is.

I remember Tim Berners-Lee muttering about this as one of his regrets.
NeoPhile
Posts: 155
Joined: July 22nd, 2004, 4:33 am
Location: Halifax, NS, Canada
Contact:

Post by NeoPhile »

Jetryl wrote:The internet would make a lot more sense with regards to its actual structure if URLs came out like:

http://org.wesnoth/www/


So far as I can tell, that's how they're really structured, hierarchically - I believe /www/ is often a folder on the webserver, and if it isn't, it'd be aliased by the software to wherever the index folder actually is.

I remember Tim Berners-Lee muttering about this as one of his regrets.
Yep, that would make more sense. Though it would still be org.wesnoth.www, not /www. Y'know, org.wesnoth.irc shouldn't point to a directory, and neither should www. It's just because www is used for serving files that it's often linked to a directory of the same name.
ettin
Lord of Glamdrol
Posts: 369
Joined: August 17th, 2003, 2:05 pm
Contact:

Re: Wiki URLs

Post by ettin »

NeoPhile wrote:Is it possible to make URLs like http://wiki.wesnoth.org/ReferenceWML work the way you'd expect them to?
I have set up a redirection from wiki.w.o to www.w.o/wiki. I'm not so sure about moving everything to wiki.w.o, but I'll probably give it a try the next time we upgrade the wiki engine.
NeoPhile
Posts: 155
Joined: July 22nd, 2004, 4:33 am
Location: Halifax, NS, Canada
Contact:

Re: Wiki URLs

Post by NeoPhile »

ettin wrote:I have set up a redirection from wiki.w.o to www.w.o/wiki. I'm not so sure about moving everything to wiki.w.o, but I'll probably give it a try the next time we upgrade the wiki engine.
Thank you!
User avatar
Jetrel
Art Director
Posts: 7242
Joined: February 23rd, 2004, 3:36 am
Location: Midwest US

Post by Jetrel »

NeoPhile wrote:Yep, that would make more sense. Though it would still be org.wesnoth.www, not /www. Y'know, org.wesnoth.irc shouldn't point to a directory, and neither should www. It's just because www is used for serving files that it's often linked to a directory of the same name.
It's a question between:

http://org.wesnoth/

or

org.wesnoth.www

In terms of uniquely identifying the service type being used, across multiple applications. I'd personally prefer the former, perhaps with a single character instead of a ://
NeoPhile
Posts: 155
Joined: July 22nd, 2004, 4:33 am
Location: Halifax, NS, Canada
Contact:

Post by NeoPhile »

Jetryl wrote:It's a question between:

http://org.wesnoth/

or

org.wesnoth.www

In terms of uniquely identifying the service type being used, across multiple applications. I'd personally prefer the former, perhaps with a single character instead of a ://
It's a nice idea. The problem is when you have multiple servers of the same type. Take wesnoth, for example, where www, forum and wiki all use http://. Heck, I've seen some places where they have www1 to www4.
Post Reply