Help for a fellow moderator?

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

podunk

Help for a fellow moderator?

Post by podunk »

Hi!

First of all I finally got around to compiling 1.1.12 and it's beautiful! I really like the new troll whelps! Better landscape tiles - everything is much more polished than it was.

This may be the wrong place to ask this. I'm a moderator for another board using the same software as this one.

We're just getting spamed all to heck. I never see any spam here. What mods or plugins are you using?

Thank you in advance for your time!

podunk
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Well, for mods we rely heavily on our forum sith such as Maeglin Dubh and the developers. To prevent spam we require registration, and I am pretty sure we ban the ip for any spam that actually comes through. As for specific phpBB modules, I can't say for sure, but I think that we run a pretty clean install, although one of the admins would have to comment to be sure.
podunk

Post by podunk »

Thank you Darth!

Obviously we'll just have to have one of our mods feel the dark side of the force! :-)
Maeglin Dubh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Maeglin Dubh »

Any spam that does get through is immediately shunted to a hidden forum, where it is flagged and left for an Admin to ban the IP. If all you're doing as moderators is deleting spam as it appears, you're going to fight a never-ending flood. Software security will help, but so will IP banning of all known spammers.
Cuyo Quiz wrote:I really should push for Temuchin's brainstorming with all my might someday, when the skies are cloudy, the winds dance and the light is free to roam over the soil along the fog.