Ideas board for Add–ons or not?

Discussion of all aspects of the website, wiki, and forums, including assistance requests and new ideas for them.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Can-ned_Food

Ideas board for Add–ons or not?

Post by Can-ned_Food »

Apparently there is some confusion — at least for me.

Per the “MUST-READ”:
This forum is a place where people can post ideas they have had for the game. It could be anything related to Wesnoth. From a cool new type of add-on, to a small improvement to the help menu, to a new Wesnoth-related Web application. When you have an idea, but no work (yet), this is the place.
I bolded the text. Anyways, it seems that this means something different than how I read it. Quoting from another thread,
Pentarctagon wrote: March 6th, 2018, 8:27 am
Can-ned_Food wrote: March 6th, 2018, 1:56 am I'm confused, though. Doesn't it allow for a [UMC] tag?

If, by “additions to the game” it means additions or changes to a certain fork of the project and not to anything else, then might I recommend you guys change that Read This post to make it more clear?

(snip)
The [MUST-READ] thread says:
This category is for “User Made Content”. These topics would be used for suggesting things for add-on creators.
ie: suggestions for improving Wesnoth for UMC authors. Not to post ideas for your particular add-on.
I can see how there is room for ambiguity. So, it seems to me that either
  • that document is inconsistent
    it needs revised
  • the phrasing is foggy
    should be revised or augmented
  • both are permissible
    could be revised to clarify that
It would make sense that permitting ideas for any sundry add–ons would very much clutter it, so the middle possibility is most likely.

Anyway, cheers and good night from my side of the planet.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Re: Ideas board for Add–ons or not?

Post by Pentarctagon »

I'm honestly still not sure what you're finding ambiguous. What, specifically, are you thinking it says is allowed in Ideas that I'm saying belongs in one of the other forums?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

I agree with Can-ned_Food interpretation. "suggestions for improving Wesnoth for UMC authors" go under [engine], or sometimes [interface].
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

The description of the UMC tag for threads hinges on how you read that line in the preamble. The one which says
a cool new type of add-on,
See, the troublesome word there is “type”. Does this mean a technical class — à la the difference between [campaign] and [modification], — or does it mean a genre?

Of course, the topic which prompted me to wonder this wasn't even an add–on, but a new name for my own forthcoming fork of the source — which is, understandably, too far from the criteria of the Ideas board and was more–or–less rightfully moved to another board.

Pardon me for making such a fuss about it. Probably there are very few new topics which do occur as a result of similar interpretation — even from those who read the rules as I did.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Can-ned_Food
I've changed
From a cool new type of add-on
to
From new features for UMC authors
which should clarify what it means.

Ravana wrote: March 10th, 2018, 10:50 am I agree with Can-ned_Food interpretation. "suggestions for improving Wesnoth for UMC authors" go under [engine], or sometimes [interface].
In which case, what would [UMC] cover? It sounds a bit redundant.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food »

As for that, maybe we could allow posting of rough outlines or plots, with no work yet done or planned, to the suitable __ Development board. Of course, maybe there are some there now: I did not search the boards to see if there are any already. I did see one or two LFW–ish threads.

Probably should require that any such thread
  • begin with at least a modicum of detail more than simply
    “Wouldn't it be fun to have a faction of pacifists?”
    or the like.
  • be tagged a label like CONCEPT or something.