Knalgar and Dragon team

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pansar

Knalgar and Dragon team

Post by pansar »

On the 4 player map Lagoon I found these two teams very overpowered. Are there any repels against this or is the only solution to nerf them?
aelius

Post by aelius »

It may be impossible to balance every faction for every map in multiplayer. For example, Elves will be powerful on a map that is mostly forest, and Dwarves on a map that is mostly mountains. Perhaps the solution is either to modify the map, or just don't play with those factions on that map?

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
pansar

Post by pansar »

Well, that's a possibility we've thought of. But we are ten friends who are setting up an internal league, and some of them have only played with those factions. Guess I'll have to make a whole new set of maps, unless you want to link me some really good 4-player maps. :)
aelius

Post by aelius »

Alas, I only play single player, so I can't help you. If you're playing in an internal league you could always install a second copy of Wesnoth and modify the units you use if you feel they are balanced better and use them when playing with your friends.

- b.
La perfection est atteinte non quand il ne reste rien à ajouter, mais quand il ne reste rien à enlever. - Antoine de Saint Exupery (of course)
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

For a balanced 2v2 map, I liked Becephalus' "4p - Timeout." It should be in his map thread.

And my own personal favorite for 2v2 is "4p - Megaman X," but that one is only balanced for Great War Era. And for a four player co-op mission, try "Light Warriors." Look in my signature for those two.

You should also download Roze's Maps from the campaign server. He has some good ones for four players: Snowflake, Survival, Quattro Stagione, and Whirlwind.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Good God peoples. :P

Take a look in the current (1.1.1) map pack.

Morituri 4p
Loris River
Bluewater Province
Paths of Daggers
Castle Hopping Isle
Clash

If anyone thinks they have solid reasons why any of these might be unbalanced, I'd like to hear them. In advance though, I'd like to say: Please, don't make arguments based on old versions of these maps.

Even Lagoon is not all that unbalanced, but it is in the process of being made less flier friendly. By 1.1.2, that ought to be up to the balance standard of the others.

Pansar, if you and your friends are serious about multiplayer play, you ought to download and use the latest development version- Any instabilities are more than made up for by the massively better factional balance changes that have been implemented. It will also save you the time of finding more current versions of the above 4p maps.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Right, well I was assuming he already had those (since they come with the game)! 8)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Sapient wrote:Right, well I was assuming he already had those (since they come with the game)! 8)
It sounded to me like he was saying "Lagoon is unbalanced, and I can't find any other balanced maps, so I'll have to make a bunch for our league."

Thus my "look within" suggestion. 8)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme