Custom factions and eras

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Re: images

Post by turin »

mediawatchdog wrote:By the way, if I wanted my Vampire to be able to change its bead bitten and drained victims into vampires, how would that be done? Also has anyone heard of a creature in norse myth called a Draugr? It would be great to include something like that in the game
Because there isn't a third-level advancement of the Skeleton called Draug or anything... :roll:

One thing that would help you a lot in not needing to ask so many questions is to actually look at all the game documentation, stuff on the wiki, etc.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Re: images

Post by Thrawn »

mediawatchdog wrote:Where are the images located? I found Zombies but not Vampire lady-some of the images have long names
undead-vampirelady.png
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
mediawatchdog

Frustrated

Post by mediawatchdog »

I have no idea what manual you are refering to, or where it is located. The directions I'm being given are evidently incomplete since I can't make them work. I'm getting error messages saying the game can't find the unit vampire, I can't find classic era or where all the units and factions are stored and when I do find something and change it it has no effect on the era or faction in question. I knew this would happen which is why I was writing and asking developers to consider my suggestions. I am obviously unable to follow the instructions I've been given properly and I've done something to screw up the game so I can't use it correctly anymore. I think those giving me advice failed to understand that I am an amateur and took to this like a bull in a china shop. I was talking to temichin khan about this and he said he didn't offer any imput because he didn't know what to say and was amused that I was getting such incomplete help. Now I suppose I'm going to have to uninstall the game and start over, assuming I can even figure out how to do that. :cry: :!:
Last edited by mediawatchdog on February 24th, 2006, 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I'm sorry it's not working out, but hey! Don't get so depressed man, it's just a game. My advice is reinstall it, and if you want to try editing your CFG files again (once the frustration wears off), next time you can save a backup copy first.

If you want help with error messages, you should write down the error message details on a scratchpad so you can post it to the forum. Once you start to get the hang of it, these precautions won't be necessary anymore. It's like learning to ride a bike... you gotta fall down a few times, but I think it's worth it in the end.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
mediawatchdog

Code for vampire

Post by mediawatchdog »

This is the code I have for vampire but it comes up as a question mark in the Lost heroes era and generates an error when I try and recruit it. The option for vampire and vampire lady don't seem to show up in any other era. I was trying to make this vampire a level 4 incarnation of the bat (1), blood bat, (2), and vampire Lady (3) and use the image of the Dark Elf Captain for moves and vampire lady for attacks while giving it the abilities of the walking corpse to turn enemies into Vampires.

unit]
id=Vampire
name= _ "Vampire"
gender=male
race=undead
image="de-captain.png"
image_defensive="undead-vampirelady-defend.png"
hitpoints=52
movement_type=undeadfly
movement=8
experience=100
level=4
alignment=chaotic
advanceto=Vampire_bat.cfg
{AMLA_TOUGH 3}
cost=44
usage=mixed fighter
unit_description= _ "<insert desciption here>."
get_hit_sound=female-hit.wav
[attack]
name=undead bite
type=blade
range=short
damage=8
number=4
icon=attacks/fangs.png
special=plague
[animation]
direction=se,sw,ne,nw
[frame]
begin=-200
end=100
image="{BASE_IMAGE}-attack.png"
[/frame]
[/animation]
[animation]
direction=n
[frame]
begin=-200
end=100
image="{BASE_IMAGE}-attack-n.png"
[/frame]
[/animation]
[animation]
direction=s
[frame]
begin=-200
end=100
image="{BASE_IMAGE}-attack-s.png"
[/frame]
[/animation]
[sound]
time=-200
sound=zombie-attack.wav
[/sound]
[attack]
[/attack]
special=drain
[frame]
begin=-100
end=100
image="undead-vampirelady-attack.png"
[/frame]
[/attack]
[attack]
name=curse
type=pierce
range=long
damage=9
number=2
special=drain
[frame]
begin=-400
end=-200
image="undead-vampirelady-range.png"
halo=halo/blood-halo1.png
halo_x,halo_y=10,-35
[/frame]
[frame]
begin=-200
end=50
image="undead-vampirelady-range.png" s
[/frame]
[missile_frame]
begin=-200
end=0
image="projectiles/darkmissile-n.png"
image_diagonal="projectiles/darkmissile-ne.png"
[/missile_frame]
[/attack]
[/unit]

Question: Is there a common place where units are stored for use by all games, or do you have to modify each era to accept them on an individual basis? Also, for some reason in the Loist Heroes Era Cave Wars, when Player #1 tries to recruit troops, no dialogue box appears either by keyboarding recruit or selecting recruit in the menu. However, when the computer plays player #1 it is able to recruit
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

you need to put it in each of the era's in your main Wesnoth file, or in the main file directory.

There is another way, but it requires more WML, which you don't seem to like
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: Code for vampire

Post by Sapient »

Question: Is there a common place where units are stored for use by all games, or do you have to modify each era to accept them on an individual basis?
The core units that come with the game are all stored in "Wesnoth\data\units" If you put a unit there, it will definitely be found. Still, you may need to eliminate errors from the file.
Also, for some reason in the Loist Heroes Era Cave Wars, when Player #1 tries to recruit troops, no dialogue box appears either by keyboarding recruit or selecting recruit in the menu. However, when the computer plays player #1 it is able to recruit
The computer is able to recruit even if some of the units have errors, it recruits ones that aren't erroneous. Human players require the dialog menu to pop up, and this menu fails if even one of the units has an error.

Looking at your code I spotted some trouble:

Code: Select all

unit] 
this should be [unit]

advanceto=Vampire_bat.cfg 
I think you meant to write this

[advancefrom]
unit=Vampire Lady
experience=100
[/advancefrom]
advanceto=null
However, this may mess up Vampire Lady when you encounter her in other campaigns or online in multiplayer. To prevent that from happening you have to use "ifdef" preprocessor instructions.

image="undead-vampirelady-range.png" s 
A stray "s" on the end of your line

[attack] 
[/attack] 
special=drain 
[frame] 
begin=-100 
end=100 
image="undead-vampirelady-attack.png" 
[/frame] 
[/attack] 
Looks like you closed the [/attack] before it was even getting started, and you didn't even give it a name. Hint: try posting your code to the forum inside tags so these errors are easier to spot.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
mediawatchdog

Post by mediawatchdog »

I keep getting mount failed downloads trying to download a clean version of Westnoth in OS X.4 Can anyone help me with this?