Ghost level 2 options:

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

What do you think of this idea?

Good idea - RIPLB
36%
Bad idea - Wraith is already overpowered.
15%
Interesting idea.
37%
No opinion.
12%

Total votes: 59

Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

I want to hear a balancing comment, guess it will be from EP, about cold backstab.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Against 80% of the units cold back -1 will be less powerful than current backstab. Against drakes, well drakes have very effetive anti-ghost units, so its really their own fault if shadows are running around.
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
appleide

Post by appleide »

but.... shadow doesnt have a ranged attack...

Here's my take on the Banshee

Banshee
HP

7 moves

attacks
Touch 5-4 cold drain
Wail 6-3 cold, ranged

It is rather weak, but still has a cold melee. 8)
Good enough for what it is designed against. (Most drakes, armoured things), yet not overpowering. The Wraith would almost certainly be a more attractive option, yet this 'Banshee' would be worth it if your opponent is going mass HI.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
drachefly

Post by drachefly »

If you want to really distinguish it from Wraith, then give its ranged attack Slow. That would work, from a sensibility point of view.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it. -- You-know-who
The Kingdom Of Loathing Era
JW

Post by JW »

drachefly wrote:If you want to really distinguish it from Wraith, then give its ranged attack Slow. That would work, from a sensibility point of view.
I can't imagine a set of stats where that wouldn't be insanely overpowered...
Spam

Post by Spam »

I think giving the Shadow (and by extension the Nightgaunt) cold makes sense since it is so rarely used. The only question is whether cold + backstab would totally imbalance some things.
appleide

Post by appleide »

Also, the shadow doesnt have ranged so it doesnt really solve any problems unless you give it wail too.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Thinking about that, i think add ing a new unit is not necessary and doesn't add much to the faction ...
Why not simply give a touch attack to the wraith and spectre ?
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Noyga - an excellent suggestion.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Sly

Post by Sly »

Noyga wrote:Thinking about that, i think add ing a new unit is not necessary and doesn't add much to the faction ...
Why not simply give a touch attack to the wraith and spectre ?
Is that still in discution ?

I think either giving the Shadow a Touch (Cold) attack or making it current backstab attack Cold would be a doos option :wink:
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Well, shadows now have Skirmisher (in 1.3)...
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Jew unit

Post by Jew unit »

Noyga wrote:Well, shadows now have Skirmisher (in 1.3)...
Eek sounds scary. But then again it makes the shadow a more viable alterative... still then its almost always going to be able to get back stab...
8-3
*2 backstab
*1.25 at night
20-3 O.o
2^x-1 mod x
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I remember arguing against skirmisher because the shadow has so much movement you can usually circle around if you need to-- although doing so is pretty risky and I'd rather have the shadow on the near side in most cases.

When you consider it has 50% defense, some glaring weaknesses, and far higher potential damage in offense than defense, the Shadow is far too expensive to be taking hits on the front line. Another thing, skirmishing backstab is too similar to the rogue line.

Still, I guess it's worth a try... ;)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
appleide

Post by appleide »

So what happened to the touch attack?
Jew unit

Post by Jew unit »

Sapient wrote:
When you consider it has 50% defense, some glaring weaknesses, and far higher potential damage in offense than defense, the Shadow is far too expensive to be taking hits on the front line. Another thing, skirmishing backstab is too similar to the rogue line.

Still, I guess it's worth a try... ;)
I dunno 50 is pretty good in say planes. another thing, i wouldnt use it as a front line beacuse a potental 60 dmg could easily break a line...
2^x-1 mod x