Online Competitions!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

StRiDaH

Online Competitions!

Post by StRiDaH »

Not sure if this has been touched on before, so here goes.

How bout we create a league and/or ladder for Wesnoth?

This is both a question to us and the developers. The developers could implement some kind of option to play 'ranked' games for an in-game official ladder, while we the players could create unofficial ladders and leagues, as well as tournaments.

Everyones thoughts please, I know that games are more fun in my opinion when they are able to cater to the people who enjoy competition.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Yes, this has been discussed before:
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7644

There is one more issue that prevents ranking systems at the moment: User names on the mp server are not registered. So you never know who you really play with.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
StRiDaH

Post by StRiDaH »

That thread more or less covers an in-game ladder. Seems like the first move, and the best, would be to have users register their names so they alone can use it.
Mordred

Post by Mordred »

I would also like a tournament or league or else for Wesnoth, but maybe its better to leave it to everyones choice whether to play in that or not (that means, not entering a league or so by just playing on the Mp-server). So I can avoid the questions like "have you ever wona game" when asking two enemies to ally against me...
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Mordred wrote:So I can avoid the questions like "have you ever wona game" when asking two enemies to ally against me...
I don't understand.....This is an example of you requesting some sort of in-game 2 vs 1?
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Mordred

Post by Mordred »

uh...er, yes.
Wasnt there a tournament one year ago, why cant there be another one ?
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Mordred wrote:Wasnt there a tournament one year ago, why cant there be another one ?
Now there are much, much more players.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Mordred wrote:uh...er, yes.
Fell free to make one.

1. Set up good rules ( maps/factions/which version of wesnoth to use/bad or good luck case/1v1 or 2v2/much much more)
2. Coordinate everything (like who will play, where to sign on, when to play, you have to consider timezones, etc..)

Time and will is needed to organize tournament. There were plany of proposals, but in fact noone decided to make 2nd wesnoth tournament, I think mostly because of lack of time or because there is really a lot of work to do with it.

Ah I forgot to add: most likely also some kind of authority is needed - not that someone completly new come and organize official tournament...
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Mordred

Post by Mordred »

;-) Thats the point why i'm asking for one...
But maybe the only way playing a tournament is to make one...we'll see whether i got much to do in the semester holidays...
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Mordred wrote:uh...er, yes.
Just make a thread announcing a date and a time, and whoever has time will show up. Then, do something simple, like pair people off and eliminate the losers, etc. Maybe have a loser's bracket once you get past that first round.

At the very least, you ought to be able to get some good matches in.
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
StRiDaH

Post by StRiDaH »

I'm personally more interested in a ladder style league which would show who the best players are, and then have tournaments through that ladder. Ive ran many leagues before for games like warcraft II and BFME, the only thing in that is sort of stopping me is that no one is required to register their name on the wesnoth server, so a ladder setting could be abused by someone smurfing as someone else, unfortunatley.

It's easier to organize tournaments through ladder, and tournaments are whats really fun, so I guess my question is, when will we be able to register names so only we can use them? Is that being looked into?