Tonepoet's Maps

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tonepoet

Tonepoet's Maps

Post by Tonepoet »

Hello all. A lot of you probably don't know me 'cause I don't post here at the forums a lot but that probably doesn't matter for now. Right now I'm here to post the maps I've designed. Mostly because I've gotten mostly good feedback for some of 'em but also because I'd like some input on the others. I'm not saying which are which though and for now, I'm only posting a single zip so you'll have to find out which ones you like for yourselves =P. The only hint I'm giving on that front is I got very mixed reactions and a lot of disconnects with the one entitled 'christmasbonus'. It's just there as a bonus map (obviously).

Anyway, now for technical specs. All of them are symmetrical terrain wise so there's probably a player one advantage of some sort in most of them that I'd fix if I knew of a reasonable way to do so. The turn order for blast is 1221 and the turn order for flutter is 121212. Also, incase you're wondering, almost all maps were tested using the traditional 100 gold, 70% exp and default era settings. The map entitled christmasbonus however, is too small for a full 100 gold so I suggest that everybody starts with an even 50.

Okay, so that's just about it for now and there are seven maps in all. I'll just take screenshots and post the individual file later on if the need arises. For now though I'm off to do other things with my free time. Have fun and I'll see you guys later perhaps. Bye.
Attachments
tpmaps.zip
(3.77 KiB) Downloaded 206 times
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Tumble is a great map, and I see you added a cave border to thwart those pesky griffons. 8)

Blast was probably my favorite, but (unfortunatly) the most guilty of the P1 advantage.
Tonepoet

Post by Tonepoet »

Very sorry for the late reply but I suppose even with all the free time I have that even I'm busy, busy, busy during this time of year. I haven't gone to many forums recently and this topic almost slipped my mind because of it. I was hoping that maybe I could get the individual files posted with screenshots before I got back into this topic but I think just a reply and some comments on the mentioned maps would be fine for now.

Anyway, thanks for the compliment Sapient. Tumble was one of my first maps and as greatly modified as it has become since the first playtest, I still like it best. The most recent version included into the map pack it hasn't quite been tested yet but it's so similar to the previous one that I feel that at worse it'd be the same balance wise. (The problem with that being that fliers might a huge advantage that I can't quite figure how to fix. >_<)

As for Blast I hear that the first player has an advantage a lot actually but I don't quite see it. Mainly I hear because of the middle village on the Player 1/2 side of the battle being grabbed first. However this is balanced out by the turn order (1221) and the fact that player three can also grab their middle village first. That combined with the fact that the center row water village is only in dispute amongst teammates and not enemies means that it's very possible to play three villages per person consistently, giving nobody an income edge. The terrain also seems to be fine since player 1/2's side of the map is basicly the same as player 3/4's just flipped the other way around with a few, purely cosmetic changes. So if there's any strong first person advantage, could somebody please point out what player one can do that player three can't? It'd be a really helpful tip.

Just to finish up here for now, I see that there've been quite a few downloads. 14 at the current moment in time. That's great. I'll be happy to field questions about the maps and you guys can expect updates and the individual files with screenshots sometime soon. . .ish. I'm a bit busy so I don't know exactly when. >_< Also any tips to improve map performance on any of them would be nice. (Just note that I've already been told Flutter should have holes in the cavewall and I'm going to get on that. =P) See you guys 'round.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Tonepoet wrote:However this is balanced out by the turn order (1221) and the fact that player three can also grab their middle village first.
Ah, alternating side turn order... didn't notice that. Ok, that changes everythin'. I take back my earlier unjust criticism. Maybe you should post recommended map settings as well.