Map Pack!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Tomsik

Map Pack!

Post by Tomsik »

I uploaded new thing on campaign server: Map Pack.
Now its small, only 5 maps(with scenario files),
if you want to have your favorite map in, place attach it here or give link.(not all will be added, but i think most will be).

Hellrider

Post by Hellrider »

I guess this is nice idea, but... there are way too many maps around to be included in your pack. If everybody would add their maps (i myself have made more than 15) your pack would soon be overcrowded with too many maps making it too big to download and with many worthless maps. Instead you could make a poll to vote the most favourite maps (at most 10) by mp players, which are not in default map list..
This way developers could check the best maps and eventually update the default ones with the new ones (if balanced and so on)..
Your pack could be a sort of temporary map list which collects the best maps around so everybody can download from campaign server and test them (maybe also rate them?).. If developers (expecially Doc :P ) notice some good map they may decide to add it in default map list..
Maybe map designers will try to make better quality maps in order to see them listed in your pack :wink: :D

scott

Post by scott »

You could post map packs for 2 weeks and have people send you votes on their favorites. After 4 or 5 of these, put the best ones in a hall of fame pack.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.

Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

I really wish we could download map packs or maybe even individual maps in game like we can with user created campaigns.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag

Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Hellrider wrote: Instead you could make a poll to vote the most favourite maps (at most 10) by mp players, which are not in default map list..
This way developers could check the best maps and eventually update the default ones with the new ones (if balanced and so on)..
It's just me, the map dictator, doing map balancing, cutting, adding, etc.... :P And, as you may have noticed, these updates and changes are pretty common. (Do you remember the old map pack, with all of those giant, unbalanced maps?)
Hellrider wrote: If developers (expecially Doc :P ) notice some good map they may decide to add it in default map list..
It's very very difficult for a map to make it into that pack, as I want to keep it small and solid. I'm almost constantly spying on the server though (as many of you know) :D , so if there's a map out there, there's a good chance that I've seen it and formed some sort of opinion on it. That being said, I think that this is a very good, very fun idea (the posting and judging of maps). I just don't want to get anyone's hopes up, in regards to any favorites making it into a release. One of the things that I look for in a map is not just balance (difficult as this is), but distinctiveness and fun factor.

By the way, some coming attractions (not for this next release, but the one after that).....In the next episode of WESNOTH MAP PACK....Two ancient maps will be forever altered! One will be assassinated (CUT :o ), and another will receive a new face! :shock: A never-before seen map will show itself, and will recall the days of yore! :idea: Stay tuned. 8)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme

Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

Ill try to have max 10-12 Maps in pack(nice ones), but i need proposals now.