2v2 replays archive

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lorbi

Re: 2v2 replays archive

Post by Lorbi »

Here is an interesting game i just played that had some nice entertaining things in it.
( and the outcome really was not clear till the very end )

ps: it was a drakes allied with loyalists versus the same on the clash
pps: first 2v2 replay with 1.4 ?
Attachments
Clash-drake-loy-mirror.gz
A drake+loy mirror match on clash with some entertainment value
(28.72 KiB) Downloaded 576 times
-- ^ --
hagger

Post by hagger »

Thats a nice replay. The lone drake player did pretty well, and there were some very lucky scrapes. Makes it a fun game to watch, although I bet it was frustrating for the Loyalist player who died!
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Hehe, another game for your pleasure, a 2v2 on Morituri :) .

Lessons from my horrible memory:
1) Always think again and again when doing your initial recruit; slight error on my part. Should've gotten another archer to compensate for non-quick fighter.
2) Remember your ToD, even when using comparatively "stronger" units (HI vs elves).
3) A wose or shaman is a HI's worst "friend".
4) Any loyalist force should have at least 1 mage, especially when going against any non-Drake faction.

EDIT: Forgot - This is a R+R vs L+U matchup.
Attachments
4p_-_Morituri-Auto-Save7.gz
On 1.4.
(31.18 KiB) Downloaded 582 times
Take a breath.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Isar's, K+R vs R+R.

One thing with 2v2's with timers (120 sec base) is that it's very difficult to optimally plan your moves with your partner. Everything's rushed, with us actually having quite different approaches at major time-stones. Added with my Knalgan weakness... :P

The game was almost lost, as our incoordinated plans led to some noob moments, especially by me (side 2) who's not too fond of timers. We won the game when we finally got to push our opponents off the center when by attrition we won the battle, especially with the deaths of their mages/woses. Once all 4 center villages (including the 2 water villages) were taken, the game turned its tide dramatically as we were able to keep on pushing to both leaders. It's been a while since I recruited a gryphon on Isar's :D .

*Don't be surprised if during some turns some units didn't move at all when they should've. Blame me for unable to adapt to the timer.
Attachments
4p_-_Isar's_Cross-Auto-Save16.gz
On 1.4
(38.46 KiB) Downloaded 533 times
Take a breath.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Here are 2 games. Sorry for the triple post, I'm too lazy to rearrange and rename the filesaves in the other previous posts to make sure that there's no mix-ups. I'll edit this post if there's any other replays before another replay by other forum members (I'll detail each filesave properly from the start).

The first is an Isar, Drakes vs Knal+Loy (I was side 1).
Here there were a few mistakes on our side, that didn't cost us the game there and then (it lasted 22 turns), but cost us the initial money advantage that led to long-term loss despite killing one of the leaders (the Knalgan). The biggest was at turn 5, where village-steal impulsiveness and over-aggressiveness led to a loss of 39 gold...I think had I did not do that mistake, there was a good chance of winning the game. I would have been better off just withdrawing and recruiting. :? From then on it was just a gradual downhill; not good initial drake play by me. :x However, it's nice to see a literally pierce vs pierce-resistant units (Saurian+Clasher) match, well, until the mages came over. :)

The second is a 2v2 Clash, Loy+Nor vs Knal+Reb (I was side 2). I was initially a spectator, replacing another player.
Here the game was won quickly. 1 mistake by side 1 was having a stranded cav getting quickly pepper-sprayed by elves, making the game very difficult after that.
The other mistake (in my opinion, not sure in others' opinions) was side 3 trying to assassin-poison my thunderer and footpad, leading to some (for one of it) nasty retaliation damage. That led to 1 getting killed, while the other turned to red. With 3 other of the Northern units in yellow health and a gobbo killed by gryphon at the SW village with other units far away, the game was won.

Another main lesson that I learned from both games is that % def is just that, a %; depend on them (with plan B/C's ready) during offense, but don't ever rely on them for your defense. Unless it is mandatory, you shouldn't place a unit in a hex where it has a chance to be killed, even with 70% defense.

All on 1.4.0

P.S. Considering that I consider myself better with drakes than dwarves, I find it ironic that this post is about me losing with the former and winning with the latter. :P
Attachments
4p_-_Isar's_Cross-Auto-Save22.gz
Isar's Cross.
Drakes vs Knalgans + Loyalists. I as side 1
(48.29 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
4p_-_Clash-Auto-Save8.gz
Clash.
Loyalists + Northeners vs Knalgans + Rebels. I as side 2.
(37.74 KiB) Downloaded 510 times
Take a breath.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

It seems that the forum allows only 3 attachments per post, so here are 3 new games which I think can used as lessons.

The first shows the interaction between the teams in 2v2. You have to consider the ToD of both opponents' faction. Here my ally (both were rebels) accidentally attacked a unit at dawn with his mage with my direct opponents (Loy) waiting to pounce at the next turn, leaving me to either leave the mage alone and definitely die, or try to protect it for the next turn. In the end, my forces were also killed handily trying to protect my ally's mage. This replay is only up to turn 7, as that's the important point of the game anyway which I'd like to show (it went downhill from there). On Morituri, Reb vs Knal+Loy; I played as side 1.

The second shows the advantage of playing as random. When playing against random players, you have to use a "balanced" recruit. However, when playing against non-random players, you can make tweaks to your recruit, based on your assumptions of the non-random faction. Here, I recruited a HI in advance knowing that most of the loy recruits are blade/pierce. Granted, the way he reacted was quite suicidal, but I hope this game will promote other players to learn to play non-random (It took me 4 months before I decided to take the random plunge). On Morituri, Loy+Reb vs Nor+Loy; I played as side 1.

The third is a Clash (Dra+Reb vs Reb+Ud) in which our opponents tried to swap keeps and use a mixed force against both of us. Quite an interesting concept as they deliberately chose to mix troops. We won the game after a leader mistake led to a leader kill on the north side, while the south side was also won when the Rebbie+ Ud pushed too deep, and thus countered handily. I made a lot of mistakes and was nervous playing the Rebels (side 3); heed FreeAsABeer's advice to me as seen in chat. One important one which was discussed after the game was my archer should have switched sides with my fighter in the southern forest triangle. Another was my decision to put leader near the front, delaying my further recruits. I made this with the assumption that my line would hold nicely till then, as I was going against neutral + chaotic at day. Do not do, or even consider this if your opponent will be at a favorable ToD.

All on 1.4.0.
Attachments
4p_-_Morituri-Auto-Save7.gz
(26.24 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
4p-Morituri-Power of knowing nonrandom.gz
(26.9 KiB) Downloaded 549 times
Clash End Game.gz
(36.2 KiB) Downloaded 519 times
Take a breath.
c2p

Post by c2p »

Northerners and Drakes (SW) vs Northerners and Knalgans (NE) on Isars.
Very long match - strategic, and pretty much non-stop and bloody, rather than defensive.

It's fair to say that the Northerners of either side were very prominent, and that the battle came to be centered on the frontline of trolls - IMO, these become extremely important whenever you're Northerner versus an enemy that's chaotic or neutral. High HP, regeneration irrespective of TOD, good def on hills and forests, and even occasional fearlessness, means you can actually hold the line during the day, mostly.

I think that the factor that decided the (very close!) fight was the overweight in trolls on the winning side. It was an interesting fight, it happened several times that one or the other side was almost completely routed, only to comeback.
Attachments
4p_-_Isar's_Cross_replay_N&D_vs_N&K.gz
(34.88 KiB) Downloaded 555 times
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

Nothing better than a casual BfW MP game to keep you awake when sleepy in the middle of the night (well, except maybe coffee).

This is an interesting 2v2 (R+N vs R+N, with me originally as side 3) on Isar, in which I won by simple virtue of my opponents literally surrendering the SE side of the central area without a whimper. When that happened, with S leader also moving too far into the central area, I was able to take the southern keep area as well. This led to my victory by sheer numbers, which is quite easy with Northeners.

Note: My partner (side 2) disconnected at turn 1 after his recruit, and so I controlled both sides till the end.

EDIT: Here's a bonus 5 hr Hexcake, R+D+N vs D+N+L; I played as side 4 (drakes). In the beginning, our side was struggling a bit, especially the flank battles (our opponents were both lawful at day). In general, both central battles were fought passively at first, as I kept my Drakes out of Northern reach, making it a positional battle. However, mistakes by the team 2 drake allowed our eastern battle to sway to the other side, with a leader kill almost successful. At the same time, half of my drakes were then used to help shore up the western battle, which was being pushed back towards our keeps. Once that was settled, my drakes were able to push back the central Northern force during the next day. The eastern battle was eventually regained by the eastern Drakes as they were able to retreat and regroup, pushing back our Northern force hard. The game ended with the western battle in a general stalemate at evening, my drakes overruning the Northeners (0 losses at end of game, ending with 2 lvls 2's too), and the eastern battle about to become interesting, as I was bringing a newly-recruited group of anti-drake units + leader to help our Northern force. As there was no real answer to our overpowering Drake force, the game was more or less won by our team. Thanks very much to all who played.
Attachments
Very Fine Game.gz
Hexcake.

R+D+N vs D+N+L, I played as side 4
(95.62 KiB) Downloaded 533 times
Hehe casual game.gz
R+N vs R+N.

I played side 2+3.
(36 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
Take a breath.
grrr

2v2 Clash - Pillagers vs. Gladiator

Post by grrr »

This clash game featured Vasquez (red Drakes) and SirEbrum (green Rebbies) vs Nebiros (purple Drakes) and me (blue Northies).

Both armies engaged quickly, whereas my initial northie recruits did pretty well vs. SirEbrum's rebbies. Already at this stage the RNG went crazy and so I got my first Pillager.

For Nebiros, the night wasn't too successful. With dawn coming his leader was the only drake left and made a close escape back to the keep.

Meanwhile my gobos arrived at the frontline and made SirEbrum's leader (a marksman, no less!) go mad at the insane dodgy gobos. The climax was - as always if luck is against you - a dead green leader at the end of the 2nd day (some of the remaining rogue forces stayed still the end though!)

At this point the east was probably on its way to a rather easy victory - Vasquez was too cautious to attack when he still hold an advantage.

Then I unleashed my horde and everything in its way got destroyed, no matter the losses. My leader perhaps did not die in honor, but the growing observer crowd surely enjoyed it.

Now my pillager had to only make sure that the Drake leader (a glad) would not make its way back home .... what a fool I was, thinking it would be easy from there on!
Attachments
vas,sirE-neb,grrr-clash.gz
(60.12 KiB) Downloaded 536 times
TheChosenOne

Post by TheChosenOne »

How do you post a replay here and where can you find the replay folder?
Numbers do not win a battle
---Konrad III
(A loyal member of the pro-loyalists)

Would you like to translate the Battle of Wesnoth into Indonesian? Then come and join us at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/IndonesianTranslation
hagger

Post by hagger »

The location of your replay files will depend on your operating system. In Windows, you go to you Wesnoth folder, then into the userdata folder, then the saves folder. The directory on my computer is C:\Program Files\Wesnoth 1.4\userdata\saves

In Linux, it's stored in a hidden folder in your home directory, .wesnoth. You find a folder in there called saves, and you find replays there. Thats for Ubuntu, not sure if its the same for all distros.

Once you've got your replay, to post it you just need click post reply, then go to the area below the box where you type your post. There's a box called "upload attachment". Click browse and find the replay, then write a small description in the comment and click submit. Hope this helps!
NightShade1

Post by NightShade1 »

Here i bring you a funny game heh in which everything start about 2 guys bragging that they were the best players of this game.
As the game progress you will see them cursing us(my ally and i) and telling us that they would kill us with their eyes closed and they would bet 100 bucks that they will win... not to mention they just tell my ally that he was [censored] and he should change game to the sims...

My ally died pretty fast so i did a 2v1 heh at the end at had some wooses level 2 one almost going level3, killed one of their kings... and as soon i did that... the hoster(one of them took contorl of my units because he was angry because he died in a 2v1) actually the game wasnt done yet... i could still win guess i would have won it... cause of the wooses

The sad thing of all this is that i just got like less than one week playing heh i was really laughing hard tho.... as they get even more agrier becasue a newbie was shutting their big mouth

Anyways i post this becasue i really hate ppl like that.... so well here watch and laugh till he at the end gets soo angry because he totally lost agains me that he takes the control of my units so he could win hahahh which was even more sad.

Ah yeah in the middle of the game he tells me treating ppl like newbies just cause it makes me feel better pathetic! i was like OMFG he has no shame! he treats me and my allly like noobs and curse us all the game and then he has **** to tell me that hahhhahah too funny
Attachments
4p_-_Isar's_Cross_repetición.gz
(22.34 KiB) Downloaded 548 times
grrr

Funny drake play on Isar's

Post by grrr »

This game with skirmzors should be funny to watch and perhaps, just perhaps, others will try all-lizards games as well too =) And if only for Isar's ...

Have fun!
Attachments
skirmzors.gz
(26.39 KiB) Downloaded 504 times
TobiasParker

Post by TobiasParker »

i posted this in strategy but i think this game went really well so posting here too.

Northy + Rebels vs Drake + Loyals
Attachments
4p_-_Morituri_replay_O+R_v_D_+_L.zip
(17.55 KiB) Downloaded 507 times
http://www.tm-productions.blogspot.com/ -halo3 Machinima project.
http://www.t-o-m-e.net - Best roguelike ever
Faello

Post by Faello »

2 nice games of me and sidzej on 4p Villages and 4p Path of Daggers - on Villages, our enemy sure of his superiority, attacks our positions unaware that he is entering a cauldron and majority of his army was annihilated quickly.

We lost the second game ( that against Smozes & SirJoe on Path of Daggers ) but SirJoe manouvers that constantly endangered our wing, allowed him to gain financial advantage - they were so good that it's worth to watch it just to show power of drake mobility. Have fun watching !
Attachments
UberDrakes.gz
Drake player evade main loyalists forces and use terrain advantage ( flying through water ) to get superior positions and financial advantage. 20 turns.
(33.88 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
UndeadCranckedup.gz
4p Villages, One of the UD players entered our trap and allowed us to decimate him after some manouver war. 15 turns iirc.
(26.66 KiB) Downloaded 528 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.