1v1 Replays! (THE ARCHIVE)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Rigor

Re: 1v1 Replays! (THE ARCHIVE)

Post by Rigor »

first, thanks a lot for saying something. so many ppl DL the game, watch it, and dont give me any feedback. a "nice" or "interesting game" or even a "u only beat noobs" would really feel nice once in a while.

secondly,

about the drakes vs elves game:

there was a reason why i moved my froces to the right. the reason was to keep units far away from the battle. in the case of success they would occupy a village or two and stress elves to recruit more units on the right side. in case of bad luck they would be fighting for 3 turns, ex equo for the whole day while i was trying to overwhelm the exactely opposite side.

so in other words, they were pawns which served the overall tactics to cut off supplies to join the battle unexpectedly. (when the leader is out i consider such units as unexpected).

thirdly,

about the bluff:

in simple words, i had nothing to back up those units, but he invested heavily into units (because he thought i was going to send more units after the first ones = bluff), pushing his upkeep to his limits. i instead kept my costs low at 0.

of course he could have NOT countered but that would have meant a devastating upkeep cost for another 3-4 turns while i would have been sitting on my convenient 0 for another 6 turns because of the subsequent night cycle where i would of c not attack at all.

in fact it didnt matter if he wanted to attack or not, he was committed already or he would have lost the game because of upkeep.

best regards R
siowy

Post by siowy »

about the drakes vs elves game:

there was a reason why i moved my froces to the right. the reason was to keep units far away from the battle. in the case of success they would occupy a village or two and stress elves to recruit more units on the right side. in case of bad luck they would be fighting for 3 turns, ex equo for the whole day while i was trying to overwhelm the exactely opposite side.
ah, that makes sense now that you explained it to me. although it's still not something i would do :) i'd just sit some units at one turn's distance to make sure they defend their villages on the right. different preferences.

about the bluff:

in simple words, i had nothing to back up those units, but he invested heavily into units (because he thought i was going to send more units after the first ones = bluff), pushing his upkeep to his limits. i instead kept my costs low at 0.

of course he could have NOT countered but that would have meant a devastating upkeep cost for another 3-4 turns while i would have been sitting on my convenient 0 for another 6 turns because of the subsequent night cycle where i would of c not attack at all.

in fact it didnt matter if he wanted to attack or not, he was committed already or he would have lost the game because of upkeep.
i see. to trick him into upkeep. interesting idea. he did lose after he committed on the left side, but that was mainly a tactical mistake i would say. he could have advanced more cautiously i feel, and still force you to get into upkeep quickly yourself.

for myself i don't withhold recruiting for upkeep usually, i'll just keep level 0s before level 1s, if anything. if it's a narrow map, i need to constantly hold up the line to keep up with my opponent, or else get steamrolled. if it's a wider map, i need to recruit fast to get my troops in position before my opponent. sun tzu said, he who gets to the battlefield first is prepared, he who gets to the battlefield late is tired. true in wesnoth i find.
i play as foreverfighter on official server and ladder
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

i once played a ladder game against gonssal where i stockpiled cash. it is a very convincing tactics if u ask me.

turn 16 and i had GAINED more gold than some1 has at the beginning !!!!!!

just look at the other guys cost per turn !

for more than 15 turns i had more than 70 gold to waste
here is the replay of part 1 and part 2.

i gues it counts as a BURS too, i wonder why i never posted it.

maybe because of the error messages which occur after turn 32 at the beginning of each turn.

i got heavily slaughtered at turn 33 right after the save was made and thats why the game went on for 46 turns.
Attachments
2p_-_Den_of_Onis_Turn_46_(7016).gz
stockpiling cash II with some error messages but np if u always click them away
(126.1 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
2p_-_Den_of_Onis_Turn_33_(6629).gz
part 1 stockpling cash UD vs DW
(24.96 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
chaoticwanderer

Post by chaoticwanderer »

I played against someone earlier today, in a ladder match, Random Orcs(me) vs Loyals on HGB. After winning, I found out the person I just beat wasn't even part of the ladder. :annoyed:

The person himself was a bit annoying, but his initial recruit of three fencers I thought was interesting. While not having the raw offensive power of a spearman, their incredible mobility can make them tricky. Those slipery devils can be hard to nail. Aside from that, another reason I feel compelled to post this is because since I had played this thinking it was a ladder match I was expecting a chance to post the replay on the ladder, but since that's not happening, this place is fine too.

Enjoy.
Attachments
2p_-_Howling_Ghost_Badlan..._replay.gz
(18.91 KiB) Downloaded 322 times
The RNG helps those who help themselves.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

but nice game it seems. usually those duellists are NOT so lucky :)
chaoticwanderer

Rigor wrote:but nice game it seems. usually those duellists are NOT so lucky :)
Indeed. But they are definetely more useful on maps like HGB, as opposed to maps like Freelands or Weldyn channel, where the different fronts of battle are divided, the villages are further back, and your leader is at your keep, in the back, reducing the potential damage of a fencer running loose.

On HGB and also Sullas Ruins for that matter, the battle is largely unseperated, and because your leader is going to be at one of the forward keeps, your rear will be largely unguarded, making a skirmishing unit behind your line devastating. And on HGB, your villages are closer to the center, and in general are fairly close together, letting them "village hop".

In my battle, his fencers were fairly lucky, and he was pushing his attack to much, which is largely why he lost, but it still is an interesting strategy to consider.
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

in this game i lost against orcs,

but it was so awesome that i had to post it !
Attachments
2p_-_Den_of_Onis_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
kr vs rigor orcs vs elves
(24.42 KiB) Downloaded 304 times
leocrotta

Post by leocrotta »

Finally the working replay of this match versus Dauntless.
Nobun's replay fixer and myself couldn't fix it (we both moved the corruption onward 6 turns :wink:),
so the mission has been sent to the Replay-Master himself who voluntary did the job.
Thus
Dauntless wrote://replay corrupted, so u wont see me owned :P //
is no longer true, we can see you getting owned now. :P

best regards and thx again to Yogibear!
Attachments
20091005194538_leocrotta_vs_Dauntless_wesnoth-ladder.gz
for BfW1.6.x
(21.89 KiB) Downloaded 302 times
chaoticwanderer

Rigor wrote:in this game i lost against orcs,

but it was so awesome that i had to post it !

Nice match! You were definetely destroying him till he got your leader at the end there. A couple points-

Interesting initial recruit; I might try recruiting more mermen on that map

The best part of the match was when he sent his archer and a few goblins to attack your woses. woses crushing goblins, the archer torching the woses... good stuff. :D
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

ill do that right away, just watch the losses flowing :)
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

aw my god big % difference XD this doesnt count...anyways as i promised, here goes the RP
Attachments
2S_–_Die_Höhle_von_Onis-Autospeichern8.gz
(17.46 KiB) Downloaded 298 times
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Elves vs Drakes on Weldyn's Channel.

Now that is a pretty clear thing, isn't it? Elves will hide in the forest until the big drakes come and ask for trouble. Not this time. This game features pressing elves, defending drakes and a level 3 (and no, it wasn't one of the leaders). A nice game, that wasn't decided for a long time.
Attachments
Ladder_tbal_(Elves)_vs_yogi_(Drakes).gz
Elves (tbal) vs Drakes (yogi)
(45.97 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
nani

Post by nani »

Rampifax Tour 2009 :twisted:
Spoiler:
Attachments
rampifax.rar
The Package
(72.98 KiB) Downloaded 293 times
grrr

Post by grrr »

Hahahaha, great stuff! Hopefully I don't miss the 2010 tour!
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

sorry to stop ur euphory, but this is so unsportsmanlike and childish: attacking melee with mages and ranged leaders when it looks tense. is he always like that?