Is Wesnoth multiplayer broken?

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pg

Is Wesnoth multiplayer broken?

Post by pg »

I finally got around to reading this thread. I am not sure changing or eliminating the randomness of the game will fix the problem for competitive players. It would probably help but I think the real flaw is Wesnoth gameplay in multiplayer.

I think it's broken, and needs to be fixed. I know many argue for players to play bigger maps but IMO that's a much bigger problem than playing small maps. Bigger maps frankly are too time consuming and in the end they share a lot of the problems of smaller maps. Not to mention they have their own balance issues for factions.

The problems I see rests on a few things -

1. First turn advantage
2. Villages are too important
3. Randomness

First lets look at first turn advantage. Going first means you get basically to claim villages faster than your opponent, and have intiative. This means a fairly designed map needs a deadzone implemented inbetween players so that villages can be takely evenly. If this is not done then the first player gets more villages and generally has a decisive advantage.

Second, I feel villages are much too powerful. Maps that are played most are fairly small, and villages are usually split near evenly on a well designed map. So, after players claim their villages, as intended, the real gameplay starts - fighting. Most maps players have, I'd guess, 5-15 villages. Once you lose a village you have lost a lot even if it's only one. You lose income, healing power, tactical position, and a strong defensive position. Losing a few villages basically means the game is over even if it takes longer to "finish" the game than it did to get the turning point.

Thirdly, randomness will always be an issue as long as it is there. Yet, I think Wesnoth gameplay enhances how much power randomness has. There are usually a key points in a multiplayer battle, such as seizing the first villages from your opponent, or leveling up a unit. Anytime you get a bad result you can blame randomness, because even though statistically things even out only certain parts of the game are very important. Generally randomness is only an issue in the beginning of a game where the game momentum is decided many turns before the game is actually over.

I like Wesnoth multiplayer but I think it could be much better...