Loyalists, alas...

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Noy wrote:On the other hand, maybe the human was expecting another faction
Even with Fog, Shroud and random factions in place, most players still get to know the factions of the others.

HIs aren't 'very good' against Undead, because the Undead player is pretty sure to have a Dark Adept or two.
Noy wrote:If you are saying that the HI is only limited to attacking Undead, well thats not true. Its very good as what I call a blocking unit, especially against the dwarves with their limited weapons (I include Woses in this classification.) Its excellent for protecting secondaries.
I've found that blocking isn't all that effective when the purpose is to go out and grab villages. In a pitched battle, they can be good, though...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
cobretti

Post by cobretti »

Even if it can be a bit off-topic here, I would say that the problem is not specifically that Loyalists are underpowered, but rather recent balancing of other factions have made them overpowered, and so 'classic' factions, which have seen little to no balancing recently, are having problems to stay on par.

Examples:

Drakes: All of them share good mobility (no huge terrain penalties), with almost evey unit having both melee and ranged, like elves, but a huge difference: There are two groups, one with the tank units (lots of HP that compensates their flaws in resistances or defense, and a ranged attack few units have resistance to) and other with skirmisher, good defense almost everywhere and cheap, as Noy already pointed out. Add healing and magic and it just makes a clear picture, IMHO: If gold is not a huge problem for you (that is, you can recruit at least one unit every turn) or you have not much less income, none of the classic factions have a chance.

Knalgans: Really strong front line units, their mage-usage-like unit is cheaper than their main ranged unit, while keepeing stats of a front fighter (high HP, good resistances, great mobility, decent defense), guarantees a free hex (either he or his opponent is dead). Their anti-mounted unit is the best of the game, since halves damage from enemies (the only one in game), and all of them have overall great resistances. Add the cheap, valuable outlaws and you have a faction with a lot of strenghs and little weaknesses (speed, but only if the map is almost flat. Unlikely).

I think some of the proposed changes for Loyalists make sense, but I would prefer if a 'big picture' overview was made before, or soon we will be facing some 'Northerners suxx' or 'Elves are wimpy' threads, and that would mean only that the whole wheel has turned and just have to start balancing again.