Changes & Rebalancing

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Changes & Rebalancing

Post by Dragonking »

Hi
I think that there should be place, where players could be able to express opinions about units: why they need rebalancing and what can be done to improve them.

Iwill start:
Orkish Archer: I like Idea about adding alternative attack - fire arrow. Idea was proposed here. Why this unit should have fire attack? Because I think that Northeners needs fire attack on first lvl - I'ts not very hard to lvl Wolf Rider to Pillager, but it takes some time and it is meele fire attack so units like Infantryman, Woses, od Skeleton Warriors can counterattac and kill it.
Now my proposal: alternative 4-2 fire (ranged) attack. one pt. dmg less than normal attack cause fire arrow is less sharp and one attack less - like said Turin: "it takes time to light the arrow".

Lieutenant: This unit need serious upgrade - just look at it and on Elvish Captain. 6-3 meele and 5-3 ranged is definitly too less - ulf can kill Lieutenant at day at grassland with neutral luck. I think 6-4 meele would be good improvement.

I think there is possibility to add lvl3 to Tribalist tree, because even at second lvl saurans are easy to kill with 25hp.

Deathblade: at picture we can see axe, but in description is writen: sword. That's rather strange for me.

One thing more - but not about units. It's about centering screen on leader when turn starts - screen centers even on hidden units! It can reveal (and it revealed few times) ambushed Ranger leader in forest.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
Ankka

Re: Changes & Rebalancing

Post by Ankka »

Dragonking wrote:Hi
I think that there should be place, where players could be able to express opinions about units: why they need rebalancing and what can be done to improve them.

Iwill start:
Orkish Archer: I like Idea about adding alternative attack - fire arrow. Idea was proposed here. Why this unit should have fire attack? Because I think that Northeners needs fire attack on first lvl - I'ts not very hard to lvl Wolf Rider to Pillager, but it takes some time and it is meele fire attack so units like Infantryman, Woses, od Skeleton Warriors can counterattac and kill it.
Now my proposal: alternative 4-2 fire (ranged) attack. one pt. dmg less than normal attack cause fire arrow is less sharp and one attack less - like said Turin: "it takes time to light the arrow".
I support this. Ghosts or woses for instance can be a tough nut for the northerners with their resistances...most factions have a fire-attack on level one, but northerners and knalgans don't...
Dragonking wrote:Lieutenant: This unit need serious upgrade - just look at it and on Elvish Captain. 6-3 meele and 5-3 ranged is definitly too less - ulf can kill Lieutenant at day at grassland with neutral luck. I think 6-4 meele would be good improvement.
This too is very reasonable: the liutenant actually does less melee damage than a level lower spearman... and spearmen have firststrike.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I'm in general agreement.

The fire arrow, though, is way too minpy at 4-2. I suggest 6-2 or even 7-2. Also, increase the cost by 1 gold to make up for its new powers.
The Lieutenant, in my opinion, should have 8-3 rather than 6-4 melee.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Elvish Pillager wrote:I'm in general agreement.

The fire arrow, though, is way too minpy at 4-2. I suggest 6-2 or even 7-2. Also, increase the cost by 1 gold to make up for its new powers.
The Lieutenant, in my opinion, should have 8-3 rather than 6-4 melee.
Can be
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit
ShrinK

Post by ShrinK »

I like these suggestions, but I was wondering if by chance the undead archer could get a boost in attack?? I rarely see him used, and when he is used it usually isn't very affective.

**Note: Only time I see him used is undead vs undead mostly. Or is there some skill I am missing with the undead archer?
Elvish_Pillager

ShrinK wrote:I like these suggestions, but I was wondering if by chance the undead archer could get a boost in attack?? I rarely see him used, and when he is used it usually isn't very affective.

**Note: Only time I see him used is undead vs undead mostly. Or is there some skill I am missing with the undead archer?
I used to use the Skeleton Archer, and I did fairly well with it, but it's just wimpy.

I wouldn't suggest an attack increase, since I like how it's wimpy, but then again the Necromancer has already taken the 'tough archer' position, so HP isn't a valid thing to help it out with. Thus, I suggest that its cost be reduced to 13.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Orkish Archer is cheaper, and has better attack than skeleton archer. I'm aware that skeleton has some resistances, but it has some handicaps too. I agree that cost should be reduced
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

Dragonking wrote: I think that there should be place, where players could be able to express opinions about units
There is a place, and this forum is it. :)
Dragonking wrote: Orkish Archer: I like Idea about adding alternative attack - fire arrow. Idea was proposed here. Why this unit should have fire attack? Because I think that Northeners needs fire attack on first lvl - I'ts not very hard to lvl Wolf Rider to Pillager, but it takes some time and it is meele fire attack so units like Infantryman, Woses, od Skeleton Warriors can counterattac and kill it.
Now my proposal: alternative 4-2 fire (ranged) attack
Perhaps we should set it to 5-2, with no cost increase to the Orcish Archer.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

Dave wrote:
Perhaps we should set it to 5-2, with no cost increase to the Orcish Archer.

David
I think it will not overpower archer - it's rather averghe unit, that just will be able now to fight equaly with some other units, which untill now was rather lvl above him (and whole northeners too)
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Elvish Pillager wrote: The Lieutenant, in my opinion, should have 8-3 rather than 6-4 melee.
That is the same as a strong spearman... but he does have a little better ranged attack.
Elvish_Pillager

Dave: Yes, 5-2 is OK... although it's a bit weak, it's only slightly weaker for its cost than other fire units.

Ankka: Yeah, twice as powerful, and he moves faster and has Leadership too.
Ankka

Post by Ankka »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Ankka: Yeah, twice as powerful, and he moves faster and has Leadership too.
On the other hand, you can compare it to the Elvish Captain, who has more power and leadership... but is slightly slower.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

I would suggest to give the Saurian Icecaster an advancment to something which is really stronger then the Saurian Soothsayer. As it is now, there's nearly no use at all in it. It does a little more damage but I think heal vs. cure is a much greater difference.
Dragonking
Inactive Developer

Post by Dragonking »

torangan wrote:I would suggest to give the Saurian Icecaster an advancment to something which is really stronger then the Saurian Soothsayer. As it is now, there's nearly no use at all in it. It does a little more damage but I think heal vs. cure is a much greater difference.
I would propose adding lvl3 to Sauran Triblaist line, and reneame Sauran Ambusher - this unit doesn't have ambush
Elvish_Pillager

I suggest that the Saurian Tribalist be given level 3's! What's wrong with that?