[WIP] So, I made this map...

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Do you want to see more maps like this one?

Yes, sure.
No votes
No, no thanks.
No votes

Total votes: 0

Poison

[WIP] So, I made this map...

Post by Poison »

Hello guys, please if you have the spare time tell me what do you think of this map, please be kind as it is only my first attempt, I've tried it to keep it as interesting as possible (needs work in the middle I think - also the name is under discussion). If anyone wants to playtest it with me, just contact me via pm or at discord username Poison at the wesnoth channel, TIA!

Screenshot:

https://imgur.com/FYnwzwv
Attachments
elvish plains.map
(5.94 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
Hejnewar

Re: [WIP] So, I made this map...

Post by Hejnewar »

Let's start with bad things:
Lack of embellishments especially on sides but rug hurts my eyes. ;)
Some villages seem very easy to conquer.
Villages and far apart from each other that might result in problems for slower factions especially because faster factions can quickly switch sides and there is not much stopping you from doing that.

And now to good things:
It's not that often seen map type without much terrain that is obstructing you movement in the middle it might be something interesting and worth playing with.
Map looks nice in the middle.
Its fun to play at least vs ai, I cant say that its balanced but its fun.

Ps. I dont know if it was intentional but it isn't entirely symmetrical in the middle. Just letting you know.
Poison

Post by Poison »

Yeah the rug was a bad idea, thanks for your observations! About the embellishments, that will be easy to implement,np there. About the villages, I'm still working on the exact placement of them. The truth is I wanted some villages to be risky, that will make a fun game I think. The keeps in the map should allow you recruitment to counter remote pillaging. I'm still working the map against slower factions. I do consider adding some more obstructions but it needs further playtesting. About symmetry, the map is not entirely symmetrical in general, that's not a particular problem.
Vilebeggar

Post by Vilebeggar »

I don't really care about the gameplay when it comes to maps. All i want is the aesthetic and well build realistic terrain. I guest this is a PvP map so i wont get into it that much, but a bunch of sandy turf surrounded by swamp next to a water castle is terrific, also too much plain grass tiles which is sign of laziness. The rugs i actually like a little but thats about it, this map was a mash of different terrain.
Competitive Wesnoth. For the fans by the fans.
Poison

Post by Poison »

Vilebeggar wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 8:12 pm I don't really care about the gameplay when it comes to maps. All i want is the aesthetic and well build realistic terrain. I guest this is a PvP map so i wont get into it that much, but a bunch of sandy turf surrounded by swamp next to a water castle is terrific, also too much plain grass tiles which is sign of laziness. The rugs i actually like a little but thats about it, this map was a mash of different terrain.
Hi, thanks for sharing your opinion! Would you prefer water instead of swamp? And if i put the other type of castle, sorry that's not what's intended to be there, as I've typed it's a WIP. Regarding the flat, the map tries to resemble elesenfar courtyard with more flat, it's called plains, I wanna focus on battle on flat with a little bonus here and there :) i've put the terrain types which aren't grass near villages for extra pressure. Which terrain type do you think it's missing the most?
Vilebeggar

Post by Vilebeggar »

There are no deserts or sand dunes in Elensfar thats what i was saying, the sand is the problem. Also use the embellishments more often, things like farmlands and fences, and mountain tiles should be surrounded by hill tiles and by forests or him forests (place hill + shift). Its fine to leave empty green patches of grass in the middle but not in the sides of the map. Cover the edges of the map with forests,hills,mountains ect.
Competitive Wesnoth. For the fans by the fans.
Poison

Post by Poison »

Vilebeggar wrote: September 23rd, 2019, 9:19 pm There are no deserts or sand dunes in Elensfar thats what i was saying, the sand is the problem. Also use the embellishments more often, things like farmlands and fences, and mountain tiles should be surrounded by hill tiles and by forests or him forests (place hill + shift). Its fine to leave empty green patches of grass in the middle but not in the sides of the map. Cover the edges of the map with forests,hills,mountains ect.
Ok noted. I'll post one version with fixes soon. Ty!