Question: Why no thug line for Knalga in MP?

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kraus

Question: Why no thug line for Knalga in MP?

Post by Kraus »

Hello!

I used to play Wesnoth campaigns (way too much) back in the days, and we decided to give multiplayer a go for good ol' times' sake with our friends. Mainly 2v2 'cause reasons. :)

I don't mind it much, but I just found it weird that there was no thug + bandit + highwayman line in Knalga. It does boast dwarves and outlaws, and I never figured thugs were campaign only units. Why is it not in the faction? No need for another crushing damage type since dwarves already have hammers?

We're using the latest Steam version, and default eras.

Disclaimer! This is in no way a complaint. :) I am just curious.

ps. It's so lovely to see this game still kicking.
"Oh, to the hades with the manners - he's a complete [censored], and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De'Arnise
holius

Re: Question: Why no thug line for Knalga in MP?

Post by holius »

Short answer : for balance reasons.

Long answer : archeology in this forum shows that the factions were in contention around 2004 : https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2937 .
The question pops semi regularly on the forum. See 2007, 2010 .
More recently, you get an explanation in 2015 about what happened 10 years before.
What you get from those threads is simple: Thug added to Knalga would render the Knalga vs Undead completely unbalanced, due to the Undead vulnerability to impact.
Kraus

Re: Question: Why no thug line for Knalga in MP?

Post by Kraus »

I thought it would be the reason, but wanted to asked anyways. Thank you for the answer. :)

I'll dive into the links. Cheers.
"Oh, to the hades with the manners - he's a complete [censored], and calling him that insults bastards everywhere!"
-Nalia De'Arnise