Dunefolk Rework - Changes In Unit Lines & Base Units

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Caladbolg

Re: Dunefolk Rework - Changes In Unit Lines & Base Units

Post by Caladbolg »

I'd be ok with the Spearguard line losing their ranged attack. Visually, and from their resistances, they seem more like palace guards or tanky melee fighters, as opposed to loyalist Spearmen/Javelineers. Not a unit I'd expect to be throwing spears. But I don't have much of an issue with keeping the ranged either.
Giving the Raider line a fire attack, whether on melee or ranged, could also be interesting and fit the theme.

I don't have complaints about Herbalist's RIPLIB. It's just a rule of thumb anyways, and it's broken by Spearman -> Swordsman and Shaman -> Sorceress at the very least. You could argue that in those cases there's at least one advancement that doesn't lose any abilities, but then again, they only have one ability to lose.

The whole point of splitting the line was to keep Herbalist as the best lvl1 healer while stopping him from becoming too OP. With two good abilities to begin with, an advancement that keeps them both and even gets better at one of them would probably be OP.

Though I guess holius's proposal doesn't seem too bad. It might also be interesting in that cure is split from heal, whereas usually the unit with heal +8 also gets cure. So I wouldn't mind that, but I also don't think it's necessary. (Keep in mind though, that in that case Poisoner loses BOTH of his lvl 1 abilities, which would make it the most severe RIPLIB case in mainline, if your standard for RIPLIB-ness is the loss of abilities.)
sergey

Post by sergey »

It sounds cool to split healer and poisoner advancements, but splitting heals and cures abilities is a bad idea in my opinion.

1) heals+8 and cures usually go together. Splitting them will confuse players. It will definitely confuse novice players.

2) What about regeneration (self-heal)? Currently regeneration removes poison. If you will try to split healer and poisoner, then healer must not be able to remove the poison from itself. And poisoner must be able to remove the poison from itself. It results in even more separated abilities and even more confusion.

My proposal:
- Herbalist lvl 1 heals+4
- Apothecary lvl 2 heals+8, cures
- Apothecary lvl 3 heals+8, cures, regen+8
- Alchemist lvl 2 regen+8, poison

That doesn't require new abilities. Apothecary is specialized in removing poison, while Alchemist is specialized in damaging with poison. Alchemist doesn't heal friendly units anymore and focused on healing itself. Apothecary needs more time (3 levels) to be skilled enough to heal friendly units and to heal itself as well.

UPDATE.
Since healing is so important ability, I think it would be even more interesting to have only 2 levels for healer and 3 levels for poisoner. For example:
- Alchemist lvl 3 regen+8, poison, increased stats, possibly marksman for poison
Last edited by sergey on March 28th, 2019, 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
sergey

Post by sergey »

ghype wrote: All Rider advancements have different alignments. Sunderer lawful, Raider chaotic, Swiftrider liminal.
1) that is not clear why all 3 have different alignments
2) that is harder to remember
3) that is harder to play

I think it is better to have melee oriented and ranged oriented to be liminal. And mixed fighter to be chaotic.
Author of SP scenario Dragon Fight and SP campaign Captured by a Nightmare.
Created The Rise of Wesnoth (alternative mechanics) version of the mainline campaign.
ghype

Post by ghype »

sergey wrote: March 28th, 2019, 5:39 pm My proposal:
- Apothecary lvl 3 heals+8, cures, regen+8

UPDATE.
Since healing is so important ability, I think it would be even more interesting to have only 2 levels for healer and 3 levels for poisoner. For example:
- Alchemist lvl 3 regen+8, poison, increased stats, possibly marksman for poison
We appreciate your thoughts on that but there are fundamental reasons why a herbalist heals+4 won't cut it.
There would be two ways we could have handled this:
make it weak healer like the other two healers
make it a battle healer (not battle mage)
If we go with the first option then we would have to create a unit that is either useless in dealing damage or is dying in one turn in combat against most default units. Dunefolk and mp Wesnoth doesn't need another unit such as that. Now we could make it a battle healer, a unit that is capable of fighting in the front rows. For that it has to deal some sort of damage, be resilient enough to not deal in its first combat and of course to heal it's allies. If that herbalist would have an ability like ... let's say
"self-heal" (or regenrate +4) then it could be considered somewhat resilient.
The shaman can slow enemy units and disrupt enemy rushes and retreat. The augur has strong magic special and attack type which becomes more then useful in it's faction. Both of these healers have also really good defences. Both have something special to it. "Self-heal" is what the herbalist could stand out. And that's also what we are using in our published version.
If it stays heals+4 only it would have to get some buffs and then it would take on the places of other units in DF. with heals+4 and regen+4 it will be weaker but special enough to support combats - just like shammy and augurs.

At the moment, we don't see how a heal+4 only can work. But you are welcome to expand the ideas regarding the herbalist with heals+4 and regen+4

sergey wrote: March 28th, 2019, 6:29 pm 1) that is not clear why all 3 have different alignments
2) that is harder to remember
3) that is harder to play

I think it is better to have melee oriented and ranged oriented to be liminal. And mixed fighter to be chaotic.

many actually supported this new concept for the riders so far. it makes sense lore-wise and neither is hard to remember nor is harder to play. If anythign it gives you more option and opens up new strategies. The reason why it could be hard to remember is because they are all variants of a blade/bow combination. That will change once we add back the old concept for the sunderer/CTP

About the alignments... swiftrider always has been liminal and sunderer always has been lawful. the reason why raider could be chaotic have been elaborated already.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

Caladbolg wrote: March 28th, 2019, 3:58 pm I don't have complaints about Herbalist's RIPLIB. It's just a rule of thumb anyways, and it's broken by Spearman -> Swordsman and Shaman -> Sorceress at the very least. You could argue that in those cases there's at least one advancement that doesn't lose any abilities, but then again, they only have one ability to lose.
Those are not RIPLIB violations, entirely because of the presence of the other advancement. Reduction in power leveling is bad when you have no choice in the matter. If you have a choice and intentionally choose the reduced-power advancement for its special characteristics, that's not a RIPLIB violation.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
ghype

Post by ghype »

Since we deal with a herbalist with heals+4 and regen+4, the only lv up set-ups i can think of are the following:

- Herbaslit: heals+4 and regen+4
- Apthecary: heals+8 and regen+4
- Lv3 Healer: heals+8, cure and regen+4
- Alchemist: poison, regen+8

would there still be any RIPLIB ?
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

(sorry for the really long post)
ABOUT THE RIDER LINE
Spoiler:
ABOUT MARKSMAN
Spoiler:

ABOUT THE HERBALIST LINE
Spoiler:
ABOUT THE ROVER
Spoiler:
Last edited by The_Gnat on March 29th, 2019, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
ghype

Post by ghype »

The_Gnat wrote: March 29th, 2019, 6:07 am Of course if the Dune Captain is changed to 11-3 then it should have 11-4 on lvl 3. That would make more sense compared to the 9-4 , 7-3 ranged loyalist general and the 10-4, 8-3 ranged elvish marshal.
Just to remind all of you, the current "Dune Captain" as you might want to call him, he is not supposed to deal super much dmg. If you choose that path, the synergy with soldiers and other units is emphasised. Yes, it was capable of dealing dmg but it should be limited at some point as the "Dune Captain" maintains the resistance of the the Soldier. So technically it still act like an tank. The old 7-4 were the most best balanced, but only a single extra strikes seems more appropriate then two extra strike.

Point being, with a max dmg output of 7-4 = 28 dmg , the closes we can get is either with 9-3 or 10-3. So 11-3 is too much for this unit.
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

All these talks of adding abilities/specials/weapons to level 3s made me curious to see how it works in mainline units.

Generally, new abilities and specials (with "new" I mean not already present in level 1s) are gained on level 2 and mantained through all the advancements. No new abilities/specials on level 3, only things that improve are attacks, hps, sometimes resistances, rarely movetype (someone could argue that gaining the ability to fly is like gaining an ability but technically it is not).
Exceptions:
boring list:
So, not few exceptions, and most are motivated by lore tempered by the necessity for balance. The question then is: do we want marksman on melee or fire arrows in multiplayer?
If we want the new abilities/specials/weapons to be really usable in multiplayer, we need to introduce them on level 2; if they are intended only for campaigns it's ok to put them on level 3.

Just my 2 cents, go buy a candy. :lol:
ghype

Post by ghype »

Xalzar wrote: March 29th, 2019, 10:21 am If we want the new abilities/specials/weapons to be really usable in multiplayer, we need to introduce them on level 2; if they are intended only for campaigns it's ok to put them on level 3.
Well, i think it should be a healthy mix of both. Our main priority ofc was to make DF work in mp games. But also wanted to improve this faction so it can last long and be the best possible material for future project which involve them - for example a mainline campaign.
Celtic_Minstrel
Developer

Post by Celtic_Minstrel »

The_Gnat wrote: March 29th, 2019, 6:07 am Thanks for the comments. While I agree it can add complexity I don't believe it should be too much of an issue. Currently in the mainline game I don't believe many units switch alignment (i think) but if we are going to have a unit change alignment then it makes equally as much sense for all the units to be different alignments.
I'm not entirely familar with all the factions, but off the top of my head, the only unit I know that changes alignment on levelling up is the mage. That means such units do already exist in mainline, though.
The_Gnat wrote: March 29th, 2019, 6:07 am Actually, along with the many other reasons cited in the first post, the Rover is no longer 'the most mobile infantry' in the faction. He has been reduced to only 5 MP for balance and this further reduces the thematic value in giving it a Skirmishing advancement.

Furthermore, since the DF need the Shield Breaker for balance it doesn't make sense to have the Rover have a skirmishing advancement and have the Shield Breaker as well. Given the options I would choose balancing the default faction, even though I am fond of the Skirmisher and Harrier.[/spoiler]
If the rover isn't very mobile, perhaps the current name no longer fits. The same may apply to the explorer and the ranger; all three names suggest a mobile unit to me. That said, if I read the opening post correctly, the explorer and ranger didn't get reduced MP, right? So maybe we should just find a different name for the rover.

It might actually make sense to use "rover" as the name for the L1 shieldbreaker, so the line would be rover -> ??? -> harrier? Not sure if that works though; rover doesn't particularly imply a skirmishing type unit to me.
Responses to Xalzar's boring list:
Xalzar wrote: March 29th, 2019, 10:21 am So, not few exceptions, and most are motivated by lore tempered by the necessity for balance. The question then is: do we want marksman on melee or fire arrows in multiplayer?
If we want the new abilities/specials/weapons to be really usable in multiplayer, we need to introduce them on level 2; if they are intended only for campaigns it's ok to put them on level 3.
My understanding was that marksman was unbalancing, so they didn't want it to show up much in MP. Thus, adding it only to L3, since you rarely get a unit to L3 in an MP game. Not sure on the fire arrows.
Author of The Black Cross of Aleron campaign and Default++ era.
Former maintainer of Steelhive.
Hejnewar

Post by Hejnewar »

Celtic_Minstrel wrote: March 29th, 2019, 12:34 pm
Xalzar wrote: March 29th, 2019, 10:21 am So, not few exceptions, and most are motivated by lore tempered by the necessity for balance. The question then is: do we want marksman on melee or fire arrows in multiplayer?
My understanding was that marksman was unbalancing, so they didn't want it to show up much in MP. Thus, adding it only to L3, since you rarely get a unit to L3 in an MP game. Not sure on the fire arrows.
My suggestion would be to not worry about attack types or resistances too much while creating or changing concept of lvl up. Lvl up is a reward and rare at that so why wouldnt we want to give players choice and allow them to pick what they think is the best for them (outside of lore reasons)? If balance were to be a problem then there's a lot of lvl ups that cover weaknesses of their predecessors in certain matchups (Spearman -> Swordsman and more).
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

ghype wrote: March 29th, 2019, 4:36 am - Herbaslit: heals+4 and regen+4
- Apthecary: heals+8 and regen+4
- Lv3 Healer: heals+8, cure and regen+4
- Alchemist: poison, regen+8
Aye, I can get behind that.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Is the Shock special taken into account by damage calculations?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

Caladbolg wrote: March 26th, 2019, 7:39 pm Visually, the Swordsman line gave the faction a dose of that arabian nights feel, more adventurous; the new sprites are more bulky, with a military feel, and maybe some of the flavor was lost there. This is not purely art-related - it's also due to the new swordsman line having a more prominent shield attack while losing the marksman usually associated with finesse of some sort.

There is another problem with melee marksman that perhaps wasn't mentioned before. Giving any of the DF units from the soldier line marksman makes little sense in lore. DF units are just humans, and if they get melee marksman, why no other unit from default gets a similiar ability? Shouldn't say Royal Guards be just as skilled, or more skilled with a sword than DF swordsmen? But even if we accepted that say level 3 DF swordsman is more skilled with sword than a Royal Guard, elves are supposed to have the most skilled swordsmen in lore (albeit maybe not the strongest physically). Then why would a mere human be more skilled with a sword than an elf? It makes no sense in lore.
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister