The trouble with BattleWorld

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

The trouble with BattleWorld

Post by Sangel »

Battleworld is hopelessly unbalanced. This has been bugging me since about 0.7.2, but I've never gotten around to doing anything about it. Still, it is one of the "core maps", so to speak, so it would be nice if it were a little more balanced, while keeping its "World" flavour.

Enter Battleworld2, which I seriously believe should replace it.

Changes:
*The keep numbering now proceeds clockwise in an intuitive fashion, allowing alliances to be set up better from the start.
*The player on the Peninsula has been moved to the opposite side of the lake. This means that they can play foil to either the Northwestern player or the Northeastern player.
*More passages across the northern mountains, to facilitate the above.
*The Northwestern forest is no longer as dense, reducing Elven dominance and offering other races more of a chance.
*More forest and hills scattered across the empty "plains" of the map.
*Defensive "borders" in lower portions of the map, to offset the closer player spacing relative to the north.
*Aesthetic changes; desert in south, more snow in north, broken roads.

Download it and have a look. I make no claims that this map is truly balanced, however, it is certainly better balanced than the current BattleWorld, and shows off more of our terrain as well.
Attachments
BattleWorld2.zip
The New Battleworld.
(2.58 KiB) Downloaded 420 times
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry