Alien Invasion survival co-op

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Saratos

Alien Invasion survival co-op

Post by Saratos »

Hey guys, so I am rather new to WML but have a bit of a coding background and am having some fun putting together my first map.

I am making a co-op survival map using ageless sprites where two farmers are confronted with a UFO landing in their fields and have to fight off the hordes of aliens. I am about one third of the way done making the waves, but I am trying to work on the balancing, and would love if some of you Wesnoth fans out there might be willing to help me test it and give some advice.

Would love to work out some times to chat and play. Open to ideas as well! Thanks ^.^
ghype

Re: Alien Invasion survival co-op

Post by ghype »

send it me via pm or so and I'll give it a try. I am a fan of good survival maps. if I like it, I might help you with graphics, since I can do sprites and stuff.
ghype

Post by ghype »

ok so i just checked it out.
i find it good that you actually started to do your own survival.
however. here are some notes:

- the starting gold must be adjusted according to how many units you spawn, either spawn more units or give less starting gold
- the map maybe is too big, if it would be smaller, the units would be more compressed and the waves would be more pressing/challenging
- some ai bugs, some units didn moved if no units where in reach to atack, could be fixed with smaller map
- also i liked the idea of playing farmer/loy defending against alien-ish units. but that didn happen. we played default factions and thus it becomes a generic survival where you kill spawned units

it recommend to consider new variants to make this a fresh take on survival, so it doesnt become something generic:
since you said you wanted them to be farmers, you could consider to use the ANL engine (A New Land) where you start as farmers (loy) and via research are able to recruit new units and build keeps and stuff.
Saratos

Post by Saratos »

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to give the map a try and give me some feedback, I really appreciate it!
Do remember this is my first time ever making a map, and it is just in the initial stages.
I know it probably seems really noobish and generic right now, haha.
ghype wrote: June 6th, 2018, 7:36 am - the starting gold must be adjusted according to how many units you spawn, either spawn more units or give less starting gold
You're right there, I had actually just adjusted it from 60 (too little) to 100 (too much), gonna try 80
ghype wrote: June 6th, 2018, 7:36 am - the map maybe is too big, if it would be smaller, the units would be more compressed and the waves would be more pressing/challenging
This is a really good suggestion, I was wondering about that. I get that feel from playing it too. I may try a different angle as well instead of top-down, thoughts?
ghype wrote: June 6th, 2018, 7:36 am - some ai bugs, some units didn moved if no units where in reach to atack, could be fixed with smaller map
Those guys were actually supposed to do that, I had the "Guardian" attribute on them. They guard the uppermost villages, so if you take them to soon, they come for you.
ghype wrote: June 6th, 2018, 7:36 am - also i liked the idea of playing farmer/loy defending against alien-ish units. but that didn happen. we played default factions and thus it becomes a generic survival where you kill spawned units
I was going for a basic survival with a twist (most of my twist stuff is not implemented yet lol). Some things I intend to add:
- A way to board the spaceship for an alternate ending and extra challenging win condition
- Hidden units and items in the map that are difficult to get to
however, I do like your idea. Would I need to create an Era to make those sorts of things happen?
ghype wrote: June 6th, 2018, 7:36 am it recommend to consider new variants to make this a fresh take on survival, so it doesnt become something generic:
since you said you wanted them to be farmers, you could consider to use the ANL engine (A New Land) where you start as farmers (loy) and via research are able to recruit new units and build keeps and stuff.
It would definitely be interesting to try ANL on the map. Is that as easy as copying the code into my scenario file?

Thanks again for the feedback, looking forward to tweaking with some of your suggestions!
Cheers,
Jesse
Saratos

Post by Saratos »

Made some progress and am looking to upload to the add-on server tonight!
Saratos

Post by Saratos »

Anyone know how I can write some AI code to prevent the enemies side from wanting to taking villages?
Saratos

Post by Saratos »

Also, another thing, wondering how to make it so that the second player comes up as "network player" by default when hosting the scenario in multiplayer. Currently, it sets it to "Saratos" ie. myself, and you have to switch to "network player" before anyone can join.
PVS

Post by PVS »

Saratos wrote: June 14th, 2018, 4:25 am Also, another thing, wondering how to make it so that the second player comes up as "network player" by default when hosting the scenario in multiplayer. Currently, it sets it to "Saratos" ie. myself, and you have to switch to "network player" before anyone can join.
Not only do I also have this issue, but when I start a multiplayer game, Side 1 is deleted automatically.