Are more than 9 sides supported?

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LordAwsomeness

Are more than 9 sides supported?

Post by LordAwsomeness »

Just curious: are more than 9 sides supported for online multiplayer on Wesnoth 1.14?
- Been playing Wesnoth since 2004 and the 1.0.x versions.
- Creator of Undead Invasion MP Scenario Pack.
- Creator of Valeria MP Adventure
- Creator of LA_RPG ERA
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Re: Are more than 9 sides supported?

Post by octalot »

Not sure if more than 9 human sides are supported. I've successfully tested with 5 human + 7 AI sides (on an SXC map). Notes:

* The map editor will only let you add player starts 1-9, you have to hand-edit the map file to add more
* The stats area on the right-hand side of the normal UI only has space for a single-digit side number, for sides 10-12 it displayed an ellipsis
* This was SXC, so all AI sides use the same color flags (black)
enclave

Post by enclave »

interesting... thanks
LordAwsomeness

Post by LordAwsomeness »

Those are issues that do not bother me as much. And if you are making maps for online, you have to use some wml anyways. I have made maps to play locally as a lan party with friends before with 12 sides, and we did not have any issues. And there are color add-ons you can use for the ai sides to have different colors. The primary issue I am curious about is whether having more than 9 sides will cause major (or any) out of sync errors over online play.
- Creator of LA_RPG ERA
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

The map editor will only let you add player starts 1-9, you have to hand-edit the map file to add more
This is no longer true in 1.14
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
LordAwsomeness

Post by LordAwsomeness »

The question at hand though, is: will using more than 9 sides create an OOS error?
- Creator of LA_RPG ERA
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

No it won't, the two UI issues octalot mentioned are the only problems with more than 9 sides
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
LordAwsomeness

Post by LordAwsomeness »

Awesome! Thanks!
- Creator of LA_RPG ERA
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

I haven't tried it on the official multiplayer server (don't want to risk finding a bug when the server is full of players) but here's 20p_Castle_Hopping_Isle, and it works fine with 20 AI players. (Whether it could be an enjoyable game for 20 human players is a different question...)
Attachments
Castle_Hopping_FFA.zip
(8.93 KiB) Downloaded 411 times
enclave

Post by enclave »

That's quite very cool!!! :)

I saved a game for anyone who wants to see without complicated installation of add-on.
Just use save file to try play it or to watch replay.
20p — Castle Hopping Isle Turn 2.gz
(54.51 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
Now the bad parts, the hosting menu was lagging soooooo much when trying to put controller for each side, I literarily could not, honestly, it was impossible to set each side as computer player (despite the scenario.cfg looks perfectly fine), I tried, but I couldn't do it.. And it's another bad thing to mention for 1.14, the players setup for host lags a lot... when you scroll some fields just disappear or blink etc.. Oh btw I will even show it here:
w1.jpg
w2.jpg
w3.jpg
So I had to just use :droid 2 - :droid 20 inside the game to make sure all sides are AI

Now for the good parts.
The colors are so cool :) I found at least 5 colors which have their right to live in games!! Some of them are not good, too similar to existing ones, but some of them so nice and colorful.. I'm making my q civ era support these other colors... and will soon make the maps supporting larger amount of players... This is cool feature! ;)
Also now it's possible to add ai for when there is 9 players in game already.. and even 1 ai for each player if needed...

So could somebody tell me, what is the limit now? Can it be 30 players? Can they all be human controlled or they must be ai?
enclave

Post by enclave »

I found a strange problem with map editor for more than 9 sides...

I added starting positions.. named them Player 10, Player 11, Player 12 (just like what octalot did)
but for some reason it modified my .map file with unknown terrains of more than 4 symbols or whatever like "Player 12 Kh" etc...
In octalot savefile is just "12 Kh"
I guess I should name the things with just a number.. not text (but it looked exactly the same as normal "Player 1" in map editor..
So these bugs to be kept in mind...

If you do same mistake as me you will have to open the .map file with notepad editor and change "Player 11" into "11" etc
Otherwise your wesnoth will be crashing on scenario list.

I tested 12p map in single player, seems to work well :)
Most usable colors are "frozen", "brightgreen" and "sand" and/or "gold"
"forest" might be suitable.. its quite unique color
"lighblue" might be suitable (its not like blue and not too much like teal)
"darkred" might be suitable but it's a bit too similar to brown. but still difference can be seen.
lightred is too similar to orange..
Gold, sand and bright orange are too similar... gold and sand may be different and could be discerned, but bright orange also too similar to orange..
reef is too much like teal or light blue..
deep water is just like blue..
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

WML is not allowed to crash wesnoth. If map string can cause crash, this needs to be reported.
octalot
General Code Maintainer

Post by octalot »

The crash is probably now reported as #3149, I say "probably" because that's for an unknown terrain code, rather than an unknown prefix.

Discussion about map colors is continued in https://r.wesnoth.org/t48082.

The colors with names that sound like terrains are defined in core's team-colors.cfg. If using the map above as a reference, please also note the documentation in team-colors.cfg:
# The following team colors are an extended palette meant specifically to recolor the background of terrain type icons
# Each color range is named after the terrain type it corresponds to.