Leader Magic Mod v1.1.3(SP/MP Modification for 1.12/1.13)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Xara

Re: Leader Magic Mod v1.1.0(SP/MP Modification for 1.12/1.13

Post by Xara »

Hey ForestDragon. I made an update of v1.1.1 on Wesnoth 1.13, based on some of your ideas and codes. Seems that some of the codes don't work on 1.12, so I'm not porting yet. Thanks a lot for the help.

Need to work on the real life issues from now on, next updates should be slower.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Xara wrote:Hey ForestDragon. I made an update of v1.1.1 on Wesnoth 1.13, based on some of your ideas and codes.
nice!
Xara wrote:Seems that some of the codes don't work on 1.12, so I'm not porting yet.
Hmmm... that's weird. I tested them on 1.12 :hmm: which exact parts don't work?
Xara wrote:Thanks a lot for the help.
you're welcome! I have a habit of contributing code to add-ons I like, and not just feedback.
Xara wrote:Need to work on the real life issues from now on, next updates should be slower.
ok.
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
My inactive add-ons (1.12): Tale of Alan, The Golden Age
Co-creator of Era of Magic
Xara

Post by Xara »

Just [message][option]image don't work.

Edit: Just disabled them for 1.12 version.
Last edited by Xara on January 8th, 2018, 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Xara wrote:Just [message][option]image don't work.
you can use something like this (works on 1.12):

Code: Select all

[option]

message=  {MENU_IMG_TXT "attacks/iceball.png" _"message"}
			[command]
#contents                         
                         [/command]
		[/option]
[option]
My active add-ons: The Great Steppe Era,XP Bank,Alliances Mod,Pestilence,GSE+EoMa,Ogre Crusaders,Battle Royale,EoMaifier,Steppeifier,Hardcoreifier
Shiki
Developer

Post by Shiki »

Though MENU_IMG_TXT is deprecated in 1.13, one uses label, image & description attributes instead (which don't work in 1.12)
Try out the dark board theme.
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Shiki wrote:Though MENU_IMG_TXT is deprecated in 1.13, one uses label, image & description attributes instead (which don't work in 1.12)
actually, from my experience, image= inside [option] works perfectly fine in 1.12.6
ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

more spell ideas/feedback:
-cursing spell: bleeding curse: enemies in vision lose 3 hp every turn. this effect can't kill (like poison), and doesn't apply to units in villages, or next to units with healing abilities.
-cursing spell: select an enemy side, they lose a random amount from 15 to 40 gold. mana cost: maybe 6
-blessing spell: (not fully sure what to call it): the caster's units recieve <2 multiplied by killed unit's level> extra experience when killing enemies
-I think the random summons ability's mana cost should be reduced to 4
-slightly tweaked a part of the seal of phoenix event:

[sound]
                name="flame-big.ogg"
            [/sound]		
            [sound]
                name={SOUND_LIST:HOLY}
            [/sound]
			[heal_unit]
				[filter]
					x,y=$x1,$y1
				[/filter]
				amount="$($xmm_reborn.max_hitpoints / 2)"
			[/heal_unit]			

[chat]
				speaker="L-magic Mod"
				message="$xmm_reborn.name is reborn thanks to the Seal of Phoenix."
			[/chat]				

[message]
				x,y=$x1,$y1
				message="I'm alive! Phew, that was close..."
			[/message]		
-it would be nice if you added sounds to each damaging spell (not just explosion.ogg), using edited versions of the [sound] tag before [harm_unit]. sound suggestions:
fire beam: fire.wav
ice beam: magic-dark.ogg
poison nova: poison.ogg
twisting forcefield: magic-dark-big-miss.ogg
arcane blast: {SOUND_LIST:HOLY}
fire blast: fire.wav
cold blast: magic-dark.ogg
air blast: magic-faeriefire.ogg
mind blast: lich-die.ogg
Xara

Post by Xara »

ForestDragon wrote: I think the random summons ability's mana cost should be reduced to 4
Generally I think summon spells should cost higher. Scenario designers don't like them in their maps. I randomized [epic] trait for random level 1 units, and I feel the combo of Epic Summons and Random Summons is more fun than other options. I think it's fine if a user want one or two [epic] random unit during a campaign, but I hope them don't spam.

ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Xara wrote:Generally I think summon spells should cost higher. Scenario designers don't like them in their maps. I randomized [epic] trait for random level 1 units, and I feel the combo of Epic Summons and Random Summons is more fun than other options. I think it's fine if a user want one or two [epic] random unit during a campaign, but I hope them don't spam.
maybe make some spells have different costs in multiplayer/campaigns? (this will make you no longer require balancing the mana costs for both multiplayer/campaigns at once, giving you more freedom with spell cost) it's possible using the following:

#for MP:
#ifdef MULTIPLAYER

#contents

#endif
#for SP:
#ifndef MULTIPLAYER

#contents

#endif
EDIT: oh, and also, the epic trait's hitpoint increase should have "increase=" alongside "increase_total=". btw, edited the alchemy events so that players can see the amount of gold they get:

[event]		
	name="xmm_alchemy_atv"
	first_time_only=no
	{RANDOM 12..22}
    [store_unit]
        [filter]
            side=$side_number
	    canrecruit=yes
        [/filter]
        variable=lmagic_side_leader
        mode=append
    [/store_unit]
	[sound]
	   name=gold.ogg
	[/sound]
	[unstore_unit]
		text="<span color='#cccc33'>" + _ "$random| gold" + "</span>"
	[/unstore_unit]
	[gold]
		amount=$random
		side=$side_number
	[/gold]	
[/event]

[event]		
	name="xmm_alchemy2_atv"
	first_time_only=no
	{RANDOM 17..83}
    [store_unit]
        [filter]
            side=$side_number
	    canrecruit=yes
        [/filter]
        mode=append
    [/store_unit]
	[sound]
	   name=gold.ogg
	[/sound]
	[unstore_unit]
		text="<span color='#cccc33'>" + _ "$random| gold" + "</span>"
	[/unstore_unit]
	[gold]
		amount=$random
		side=$side_number
	[/gold]	
[/event]
also, it would probably be a good idea to give loyal summons the loyal overlay, like this:

[modify_unit]
				[filter]
					role="new_summon"			
				[/filter]
				{TRAIT_LOYAL}
				{IS_LOYAL}
			[/modify_unit]
btw, more feedback:
-spell idea: mind control: select an enemy unit in a 1-tile radius of the caster, that unit's side changes to the caster's until the end of the scenario. doesn't work on loyal units/leaders/units whose level is above that of the caster. mana cost is proportionate to the target unit's level.
-spell idea: select a nearby enemy unit (in a 3 tile radius), and summon 2 tentacles of the deep next to that unit (with the tentacles being given 20% defense on non-water terrain via [object])
-I think there should be more cursing spells (similarly to the amount of blessing spells)
-I think mass darkness/mass illumination should have their cost increased to 8 mana (illuminate/darkness for the caster cost 4 mana, while applying those abilities to up to 6 units costs only 6). same for mass teleport, but to 10 mana EDIT: now I don't, after realizing that they only last 1 turn. I think increasing their effect duration would make viable.
Xara

Post by Xara »

-SP vs MP: I think it's more about various type of games within multiplayer. Things are vastly different from Isar, to World Conquest, and to Scrolling Survival. I feel to define balance per spell in each of these types of the game is too much work, I would give player options for their total mana amount in stead. Seems that the old colds I used for 1.12 ceased to work in 1.13, so I'm postponing this work till the next stable Wesnoth version.

-Added a chat message for Alchemy.

-Added loyal overlay.

-Somehow increase current HP in the same [effect] tag don't work. I suspect the [unit] variable haven't correctly registered somewhere for it to function. So I just left it there.

-Many of the spell effects last one turn because I failed to make multi-turn modification work in 1.12.

-summon 2 tentacles spell: I'm pretty afraid that spells like this would introduce bugs that crowd the unit into impassable terrains.

-mind control: would afraid that it introduce bugs in some campaigns

-added a curse spell that let enemy lose 2 hp per turn. I suspect 3 can be too strong, considering that some maps don't have fog.

ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Xara wrote:-SP vs MP: I think it's more about various type of games within multiplayer. Things are vastly different from Isar, to World Conquest, and to Scrolling Survival. I feel to define balance per spell in each of these types of the game is too much work, I would give player options for their total mana amount in stead. Seems that the old colds I used for 1.12 ceased to work in 1.13, so I'm postponing this work till the next stable Wesnoth version.
well, you don't need to balance ALL spells for multiple mp types. though I think spells like enchanted blade/arcane missiles/poison blade/other spells that buff the leader for the scenario might need to be more costly for RPG maps like Colosseum, Creep War, etc.
Xara wrote:-Somehow increase current HP in the same [effect] tag don't work. I suspect the [unit] variable haven't correctly registered somewhere for it to function. So I just left it there.
I think you could use [heal_unit] then.
Xara wrote:-Many of the spell effects last one turn because I failed to make multi-turn modification work in 1.12.
ok.
Xara wrote:-summon 2 tentacles spell: I'm pretty afraid that spells like this would introduce bugs that crowd the unit into impassable terrains.
understood.
Xara wrote:-mind control: would afraid that it introduce bugs in some campaigns
how about making it MP-only?
Xara wrote:-added a curse spell that let enemy lose 2 hp per turn. I suspect 3 can be too strong, considering that some maps don't have fog.
ok. btw, more feedback:
-petrify: select an enemy unit in a 2-tile range of the caster. that unit is petrified for 2 turns (you can copy some of the code from Era of Magic's "sculpts" special for the timer)
-summon animated statue: summons a melee lvl1 unit with "~GS()" applied by "apply_to=image_mod" in [effect] with "image_mod=", -1 mp, +15% pierce/blade/cold/fire resistance, but -10% impact resistance. on last breath event, the unit heals some hp, becomes petrified for 2 turns (acts as a barricade of sorts), and then dies. costs maybe 5 mana.
-summon templar: summon a lvl2 swordsman, whose melee damage type is changed to arcane, and +10% arcane resistance, but -1 melee damage and perhaps a 5% max hp reduction. costs 8 mana. the changed attack can be done like this:

[effect]
            apply_to=attack
  	   name=sword,greatsword
           set_icon=attacks/sword-holy.png
           set_type=arcane
           increase_damage=-1
        [/effect]
-cursing spell: curse of clumsiness: apply -5% defense on all terrain for enemies in vision
-cursing spell: curse of slowness: -1 mp to all enemies in vision
-cursing spell: (not fully sure what to call it): select an enemy unit in a 3-tile radius of the caster, that unit has -1 mp, -20% max hp, and -20% damage on all attacks until the end of the scenario.
-cursing spell: select an enemy in a 3-tile radius. at the start of his side's turn, he moves to/attacks a random nearby unit of his side (you can borrow the code for that from the "The Curse of Satan Claus" add-on on 1.12). mana cost is proportionate to the target unit's level. doesn't work on loyal/leader units
-healing spell: select a unit in a 1-tile radius of the caster, and recover his hp to full (or do that for the leader, but at a slightly higher mana cost).
-I think that the weapons given by the enchantment spells to adjacent units should have slightly reduced initial damage, but have something like this (like for the stimulate mind spell):

[effect]
	        apply_to=attack
	        name=weaponname
		times=per level
		increase_damage=20%
	[/effect]
-Idea: when using an enchanted blade 2/3/arcane missile 2/3 spells over their weaker counterparts, have the old attack removed.
-bugreport: the poison blade spell doesn't apply the special for some reason.
-btw, the bugfix for the kamikaze falcon's event that I posted isn't in the new version for some reason. I think you should put it there. and the hits=yes for the kamikaze animation is on purpose too.
Xara

Post by Xara »

I have been thinking about how the Enchantment spells should be used. The idea is to make the effect duration longer, make some of them last for the whole campaign. In that way the spells can cost higher and still be useful.
-btw, the bugfix for the kamikaze falcon's event that I posted isn't in the new version for some reason. I think you should put it there. and the hits=yes for the kamikaze animation is on purpose too.
I think it's fixed in my local version, I just didn't upload a new version.

ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Xara wrote:I have been thinking about how the Enchantment spells should be used. The idea is to make the effect duration longer, make some of them last for the whole campaign. In that way the spells can cost higher and still be useful.
good idea! btw, what do you think about the spell ideas in my previous post?
Xara wrote:I think it's fixed in my local version, I just didn't upload a new version.
ok.
Xara

Post by Xara »

Haven't decided about summoning spells, I think it's right that there should be more modified units. But not sure about the implementions. I would like to make the description for the unit modification short, so maybe templar should just be a Swordman with a new arcane attack.

I think the curse of clumsiness/slowness can work.

-The single target full healing spell: how much should it cost? I'm not sure how broken it might be to let your leader full heal itself every two or three turns in some cases? I guess I can make an alternative version to let the hero heal someone else. Maybe the spell should cost 15% of the caster's current/max health, and heal double this amount to another selected unit.

-Agreed that many spell effects should scale with level, and enchanting weapon is one of them.

ForestDragon

Post by ForestDragon »

Xara wrote:Haven't decided about summoning spells, I think it's right that there should be more modified units. But not sure about the implementions. I would like to make the description for the unit modification short, so maybe templar should just be a Swordman with a new arcane attack.
"Summon a Swordsman with arcane melee, but -1 melee damage" sounds ok to me (we don't necessarily have to mention the arcane resistance)
Xara wrote:-The single target full healing spell: how much should it cost? I'm not sure how broken it might be to let your leader full heal itself every two or three turns in some cases? I guess I can make an alternative version to let the hero heal someone else. Maybe the spell should cost 15% of the caster's current/max health, and heal double this amount to another selected unit.
good idea! btw, another modified summon idea: summon elite dwarf: summons a dwarvish scout who turns into a dwarvish guardsman when it's not his side's turn (if he levels up as a scout, he'll transform into guardsman's advancement, and vice versa). costs 7 mana (or maybe 8 )
EDIT: more spell ideas:
-cursing spell: (not sure what to call it): each enemy in vision at the start of their turn has a 1/10 chance of getting slowed. costs maybe 12 mana.
-cursing spell: curse of weakness: enemies in vision have a 20% (maybe 15%) damage reduction
-cursing spell: curse of poverty: all enemy sides lose 3 gold each turn
-battle spell: (not sure what to call it): all own units in a 3-tile radius of the caster receive the firststrike special, and a "1.5 damage on defense" special on melee, but -25% melee damage. lasts 1 turn.
-battle spell: lesser temporal wind: apply the temporal wind's effect, but to a single selected unit in a 3-tile radius of the caster. costs 2 (or 3) mana, can't be used on the same unit twice per turn.
-summoning spell: summon giant mudcrawler: summons a giant mudcrawler with the "elemental" trait. costs 4 mana
-summoning spell: summon warship: summon an edited version of the galleon, which is lvl2, has 52 hp, 7 mp, 20% defense/3 movement cost on land (can't move through hills/mountains/forest, though), a 14-2 ballista attack, and a 6-3 sabre melee attack (animation using the fencer melee animation as a projectile). not fully sure about the mana cost
-