Melee,ranged units stats and levelling

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yuzir

Melee,ranged units stats and levelling

Post by Yuzir »

I tought that melee units had more hp than ranged ones, at least if in the same race and not considering traits,I'm talking about base hp,how is then that the level 2 javelineer has fewer hp than the longbowman and gets only one extra damage point ?
His level 1 counterpart has more hp than the bowman, so what happens here ?
He can not even advance to level 3, so why I should upgrade him to javelineer instead of pikeman or swordsman ?
Oh and 35 Hp for a level 2 unit is ridicolous and I'm refering to the white mage, but at least this makes more sense considering that this unit is a healer.
But the javelineer ?
Elder2

Re: Melee,ranged units stats and levelling

Post by Elder2 »

You are wrong, if you add in the damage both jevelineer and longbowman have exactly the same damage, though that is not a very good way to compare units.

Longbowman doesn't get firststrike and doesnt't have 40% pierce res.
Yuzir

Post by Yuzir »

ElderofZion wrote:You are wrong, if you add in the damage both jevelineer and longbowman have exactly the same damage, though that is not a very good way to compare units.

Longbowman doesn't get firststrike and doesnt't have 40% pierce res.
No you don't understood, or I was not clear, I meant that he increases the melee damage only by one point compared to his level 1 form, while other units have a much drastical increase.
Poison

Post by Poison »

Not sure how you compare damage, javelineer has 3 melee strikes (total 24) and 2 ranged (total 22) while for longbowman it's the opposite (16 melee, 30 ranged -interestingly they both add to 46 as ElderofZion pointed out, not sure if that was intended by devs), they can't be compared really. I think his hp are like this because he can retaliate strongly whether he gets attacked by melee or ranged units, so he might even kill a unit and not receive all of its attacks.
Yuzir wrote:He can not even advance to level 3, so why I should upgrade him to javelineer instead of pikeman or swordsman?
Because

a) As I already have mentioned, he can tank against both melee and ranged opponents, I'm sure you see the tactical usefulness of this. Ranged units melee counter is usually negligible. 11-2 is just better than 8-2 (I'm comparing the weaker attacks).
b) Level 2 cap units cost fewer upkeep and
c) The traits of a unit might not make it desirable to advance it to a lv3 unit, so why not make it a cheaper alternative.
(b and c are for sp mainly).

Edit: About the damage part I believe it is because he has first strike. Obviously whoever developed this unit will answer this better than me. He does have the same dmg per strike as the swordsman, he just has one less strike.
Last edited by Poison on October 25th, 2017, 4:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

"I meant that he increases the melee damage only by one point compared to his level 1 form" then dont pick it
Yuzir

Post by Yuzir »

To poison.
I'm not comparing damages of Javelineer and Longbowman, Elderofzion said that, I was comparing the HP and pointing to the fact that a ranged unit has more Hp than a melee unit, 51 to 48.
But when they are at level 1 the bowman has less hp.
As for the damage I meant that a Javelineer has just 1 point extra close range damage, so a javeluneer just does the same melee damage as a level 1 infantrymen.

To Elderofzion.
"Don't pick him"
Sadly when a unit evolves during defense, you can't choose in what he wil evolve.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Thats why plan your advancements exists.
Yuzir

Post by Yuzir »

Ravana wrote:Thats why plan your advancements exists.
As a era, I don't use addons.
But, thanks for the advice.