Some maps by FeXoR

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

FeXoR

Some maps by FeXoR

Post by FeXoR »

Hi Battle for Wesnoth community :Awesome:

First I'd like to thank everyone involved in developing this wonderful piece of open source software both in terms of well designed game mechanics and lovely artistic content.

After playing BfW for a while I noticed that I happen to like smaller maps with small patches of the same terrain type much more (and it seams to me that it's because of the game mechanics and maybe because I become to attached to the units I produced ;) )

So I started to create maps and some of them actually to my liking ... so here I am to share them in hope of someone enjoying them as well or give me tips what to look out for and what to avoid.

River Duel
Tiny 2 player map I find beautiful. It's also quite interesting to play for most of the fighting happens around the center bridge and the two Merfolk cities nearby don't provide good shelter for most units.
River Duel overview
River Duel overview
FeXoR - 2 River Duel.map
River Duel map file
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 457 times
4 Halls of Fire
Small 4 player map ... that became my favorite map to play. I'm not quite sure what details to add to the halls that look quite empty. But gameplay wise I'm very satisfied with the outcome. Prone to many level 2 units with default settings.
4 Halls of Fire overview
4 Halls of Fire overview
FeXoR - 4 Halls of Fire.map
4 Halls of Fire map file
(2.65 KiB) Downloaded 486 times
Volcano
Quite nice to play 4 player map. I'm not quite enjoying the design yet, especially the border but also the recurring patterns of tiles in the center. Tips welcome.
(No preview due to restricted number of file uploads)
FeXoR - 4 Volcano.map
Volcano map file
(5.37 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
Since I am not allowed to add more files I'll stop for now.
Input about designing maps is very welcome.

Feel free to use, rename, edit or do whatever you like with the files.
Note that these are just map files and I only used the content available in the map editor yet (though I'd like to add some static ships to Volcano's "harbors").
I didn't dive into the scenario file editing yet (Documentation link?).

I'm a random map developer from the 0 A.D. team BTW. BfW map design is quite different though due to the extreme limitation of tiles (at least for map sizes I enjoy playing the most ;D ).

May many open source projects prosper ;)

[EDIT: Fixed typo and messed up sentence]
Last edited by FeXoR on October 5th, 2017, 11:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Some maps by FeXoR

Post by Iris »

Moved to Multiplayer Development since these aren’t for single-player mode.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

They look pretty nice. :D
FeXoR

Post by FeXoR »

First the missing screenshot of the Volcano map of my last post:
Volcano.jpg

...and some more...

Mountain Rivers
A 4 players map with unpassable center for everyone against everyone else or 2 teams of two players.
Mountain Rivers.png
FeXoR - 4 Mountain Rivers.map
(3.04 KiB) Downloaded 365 times

Small Kings
A 40x20 2 player map in an underground dwarven kingdom with mines and water caves.
Small Kings.png
FeXoR - 2 Small Kings.map
(4.56 KiB) Downloaded 448 times

Skoal :!:
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

@FeXoR These maps look nice :) Do consider packaging them as an add-on and uploading them to the add-on server so players who don't visit the forum can find them too!

Also, belated welcome. I think terrain has less of an effect on gameplay in 0ad than in wesnoth, doesn't it? In wesnoth movement and defense vary by terrain and unit, I don't know of anything like that in 0ad.
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

Maps are great but in "Small Kings" there should be more rough terrain. You see, the terrain is flat with 40% defense, and everyone would try to avoid combat there.
FeXoR

Post by FeXoR »

@josteph: Well, in 0 A.D. there's a limit of inclination units can pass, placing trees so smaller units can pass through but siege engines can't (though hell for the pathfinder) and elevation grants a bonus to range attacks. But, yes, it's a very different game and The Battle for Wesnoth's terrain influences gameplay a lot.
I'll consider adding some maps as an add-on. Thanks for the invitation to do so ;)

@EarthCake: Yea, I don't really considered that map ready as seen here. Maybe I shouldn't have uploaded it x)
FeXoR

Post by FeXoR »

And the next two maps ;)

Meander
A deep elegantly curled river leads to an interesting gameplay with different preferable routes by unit types.
2 Meander Hex13.png
FeXoR - 2 Meander Hex13.map
(5.07 KiB) Downloaded 344 times

2 Webs
A road net interlinked with a river net lead to this map - a bit crammed for my taste.
2 Webs Hex11.png
FeXoR - 2 Webs Hex11.map
(4.05 KiB) Downloaded 357 times

Now starting to play around with 1.14.

P.S.: I hope this double post is acceptable :o
PapaSmurfReloaded

Post by PapaSmurfReloaded »

Meander is really pretty. :mrgreen:
EarthCake

Post by EarthCake »

I would recommend more villages for both last two maps.
Gwledig

Post by Gwledig »

Some of your maps remind me of games like Might and Magic and Age of Wonders... very neat and beautifully designed.
I might if it's OK put a few of these on some of my mods like Chaoz battle of the wizards, which is pretty easy to use normal maps in theese MP mods, just takes a few lines of WML to load the macros etc, for my mods into the MP scenario... I have also re-added my mods back onto 114 today, so adding some of your maps might be my next big move :/

Code: Select all

https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=50203
Maintainer of Conquest (Original Gameplay), Conquest+, Conquest+ Space/Ranged, Chaoz Battle of the Wizards, Lazersquad (squad game), WesCraft (building MP game)
FeXoR

Post by FeXoR »

I'd be honoured if some of my maps would be used Gwledig ;)