The most unbalanced unit in Age of Heroes. And it's level 1.

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

The most unbalanced unit in Age of Heroes. And it's level 1.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

The Soulless.

For 15 gold, you get a unit which is almost as weak as a Walking Corpse. Let's compare it with the Orcish Grunt.

Code: Select all

Item...Soulless...Grunt...Better
Cost:    15        12     Grunt
Attack:  6-2      9.4-2   Grunt
HP:      26       37.44   Grunt
Resist.: Undead   Orcish  Soulless
Moves:   4         5.4    Grunt
Movement:Undead   Orcish  Grunt
As the chart shows, the Grunt is much better, in almost every way, than the Soulless, just in case it wasn't already completly obvious that the Soulless was too weak to cost 15 gold.

Also, it's an incredibly minimal upgrade. It only gains 8 HP, less than the usual undead 10, and its attack does TWO more damage.

Suggested stats:
28 HP
7-2 attack
11 gold cost.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Attila

meh

Post by Attila »

I had always thought that the point of the soulless wasn't really to be recruited, but to be the four slightly better leveled up walking corpses that you get after you send a large mob of them to attack something.
Elvish_Pillager

Re: meh

Attila wrote:I had always thought that the point of the soulless wasn't really to be recruited
Well, it could always be just removed from Age of Heroes instead...
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Attila

Post by Attila »

I'd be up for that. I don't see any reason to recruit them any ways
Elvish_Pillager

Re: ...

Attila wrote:I'd be up for that. I don't see any reason to recruit them any ways
What? That's like saying you don't see any reason you should be able to recruit Revenants! And ditto for every other level 2 unit! Now wait... why was this called Age of Heroes again...?
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Soulless have always been too weak. The solution is not to remove them from multiplayer games, but to buff them a bit instead. I like's EP's suggestion.
Elvish_Pillager

So, is something going to happen, or is this just something that's wrong that we're going to let stay wrong?
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

Elvish Pillager wrote:So, is something going to happen, or is this just something that's wrong that we're going to let stay wrong?
There are currently 117 bugs, 118 feature requests, and 11 patches open on Savannah. You could always submit a patch, this would increase the chance of it being applied by the devs -- who all seem rather busy right now.
Elvish_Pillager

As usual, I fail to see how the time cannot be found to change three characters in one file!
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

I will canvass some support for this on IRC. For clarity, since the unit already does 7-2 damage, this would just mean changing HP from 26 to 28 and cost from 15 to 11?
Elvish_Pillager

ott wrote:I will canvass some support for this on IRC. For clarity, since the unit already does 7-2 damage, this would just mean changing HP from 26 to 28 and cost from 15 to 11?
Yes.
entropomorphic

Post by entropomorphic »

IMHO, having WCs advance at all based on experience is both counterintuitive and goes against the nature of WCs as expendable spearfodder. They're mindless zombies, they shouldn't "become strong from long experience fighting the living". Here is what I would propose...
  • Bring back certain traits for WCs. This makes sense but would require some tweaking wrt their status as "not_living". Some corpses would have more leg muscle intact (quick), body mass (resilient or strong), etc. None would be "intelligent".
  • Implement "advanceto=NULL" or something similar. After too much fighting, zombies should basically fall apart, not get stronger.
  • Maybe (not sure about this one) give their attack Drain as well as Plague, to simulate zombies feeding on the flesh of their victims. Its not like a whole lot of HP separates a healthy WC from a dead one.
/me laughs in advance for all the Europeans who think I'm talking about zombie toilets.
Breeblebox

Post by Breeblebox »

EP, you forgot;

Item...Souless...Grunt...Better
Special...Plague...None...Souless
Bear, as in Fozzy,Bare, as in Arms,Beer, as in Free.
Distro | Browser
Shade

EP

Post by Shade »

Elvish Pillager wrote:As usual, I fail to see how the time cannot be found to change three characters in one file!
Any change to a unit MUST go before the developer mailing list first. That means that a developer must care enough to actually go ahead and submit it. Of late Dave has been doing a lot of these chages, and I try to keep up with requests, but I've been gone a lot of late (I have your revised unit cost list, and will submit that tomorrow).

I just sent an email to myself, when I get back (tomorrow) I'll review this thread and see if I can submit something.
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages