Randomized Isar's Cross Map Pack

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Re: Randomized Isar's Cross Map Pack

Postby Choicerer » October 13th, 2017, 6:30 pm

enclave wrote:
Choicerer wrote:Thank you, Bowling Factory ;)! By the way, I've checked your shuffle villages mod out, top-notch! Nice you managed to get it to work with mine :)

did I? I haven't tried if it works with yours, I assume it doesn't! according to what you told me before :) I didn't have time to do anything else, so not tested it for compatibility with yours, need to try it actually.. :)

Enclave has checked it and to correct myself - the shuffle villages mod does not work with mine, for anyone who might be thinking about using them together ;).
Choicerer

Postby Choicerer » November 17th, 2017, 6:05 pm

Version 4.0

Very simple fix ensuring much better balance. (Previously terrain was generated using percentages for each type - now in addition a maximum terrain type count is calculated based on those percentages, which can't be exceeded)

Also features the option to prevent terrain from changing under units. It also decreases the likelihood of the occupied terrain types appearing on the map (so that for instance a player can't fill the map with forests by putting units on forests tiles).

I probably will update the screenshots soon, since the update is major.
Last edited by Choicerer on November 17th, 2017, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Choicerer

Postby _Queen_ » November 17th, 2017, 8:48 pm

I really enjoy this mod. There is something relaxing in playing mini isar with 4-5 units. I guess thats because the game is quiet fast, so you can play many times with diffrent factions and opponents~

I'm wondering if you are planning adding more variations of maps, not only with diffrent aesthetic.

Anyway, merci~
_Queen_

Postby Choicerer » November 17th, 2017, 8:59 pm

_Queen_ wrote:I really enjoy this mod. There is something relaxing in playing mini isar with 4-5 units. I guess thats because the game is quiet fast, so you can play many times with diffrent factions and opponents~

Thanks! I'm glad to hear that!

I was just about to delete my post because I've found out that the terrain count cap isn't working :D .
I don't have the time to fix it now, so stay tuned for the update tomorrow ;) !

_Queen_ wrote:I'm wondering if you are planning adding more variations of maps, not only with diffrent aesthetic.

I might do that in the future, if I have the time (so probably not... :( )
Choicerer

Postby Choicerer » Yesterday, 6:54 pm

Oh dear... I've fixed a ton of bugs today. The improved algorithm is finally working (it wasn't working at all previously). Embellishments are back (oops).
Central tentacle doesn't spawn on sand on the desert setting (poor guy). (And other stuff).

Since the change is major, version has gone up to 4.1.
So, to recap, two major features that have been introduced -

A new, balanced algorithm which always ensures almost the same, balanced amount of various terrain types (just with slight variations).
The old algorithm can still be chosen during setup.

The option to prevent tiles from changing under units. If this is chosen, the chances of various terrain types spawning will be adjusted dynamically depending on what terrains are occupied by troops so that the balance is maintained.

I've uploaded new screenshots featuring the new algorithm and kept some of the old ones so you can compare them. I've also added a detailed description of the options.
Choicerer

Previous

Return to Multiplayer Development