Armory Mod - Sp/Mp mod

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Samonella

Re: Armory Mod - Sp/Mp mod

Post by Samonella » June 12th, 2018, 2:52 am

Armory Mod is updated for 1.14! The inventory interface is also improved since my last post here, allowing you to view multiple weapons at once.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG

Trossknecht

Re: Armory Mod - Sp/Mp mod - Black Cross of Aleron

Post by Trossknecht » August 26th, 2018, 8:48 pm

Let me start by saying that the Armory Mod is nothing short of epic. Well done, Samonella!

The mod has worked well with all but one of the 1.14 single-player campaigns that I have played. This is the add-on campaign is "The Black Cross of Aleron."

When I play this campaign with the Armory Mod engaged, I've noticed some interesting effects.

1. When a unit levels up to Level 2, it receives a double allocation of new weapons. This applies to both standard units and units that are peculiar to "The Black Cross of Aleron."

2. When I play the fourth game in the campaign ("Descent into the Orcish Realm"), the time needed for the AI to respond to a turn increases somewhat. This increase, moreover, is progressive. Thus, by the time that I reach the eighth term of the fifth game, the AI requires more than an hour to respond.

I have also reported these things on the thread devoted to the "The Black Cross of Aleron."

For an example of the first phenomenon, see the three level-two units (all elvish sorceresses) at hexes (19,9)(19,8), and (19,7) in the following attachment. One of these (Nëmia) is a generic unit. The other two are "speedy" units peculiar to "The Black Cross of Aleron."
BCoA-Reinforcements from Analandoron-Auto-Save8.gz
(872.92 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
For an example of the second phenomenon, see the second attachment.
BCoA-Tracing the Goblins' Path Turn 14 copy.gz
(205.89 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

Samonella

Re: Armory Mod - Sp/Mp mod - Black Cross of Aleron

Post by Samonella » August 27th, 2018, 1:43 am

Trossknecht wrote:
August 26th, 2018, 8:48 pm
Let me start by saying that the Armory Mod is nothing short of epic. Well done, Samonella!
Wow, thanks! :D

Trossknecht wrote:
1. When a unit levels up to Level 2, it receives a double allocation of new weapons. This applies to both standard units and units that are peculiar to "The Black Cross of Aleron."
Looks like the campaign has some code for whenever units level up that's conflicting with mine. Not much I can do except add a warning for when people try to play that campaign with the mod on. :/

Trossknecht wrote:
2. When I play the fourth game in the campaign ("Descent into the Orcish Realm"), the time needed for the AI to respond to a turn increases somewhat. This increase, moreover, is progressive. Thus, by the time that I reach the eighth term of the fifth game, the AI requires more than an hour to respond.
No idea what's happening here, I didn't mess with the ai at all. I guess that scenario must be doing some kind of calculation based on units' attacks.

Thanks for reporting it.
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Trossknecht

Post by Trossknecht » December 24th, 2018, 2:40 am

While playing three scenarios from user-made (add-on) single-player campaigns, I encountered a dramatic increase in the time that it took to resolve each turn. That is, each time that I hit the "end turn" button, several minutes (in some cases ten or twenty or more) for the computer to make moves for the enemy team and calculate the results of combats.

The campaigns (scenarios) were as follows:

The Black Cross of Aleron (Reinforcements from Analandoron)
Return from the Abyss (Mud and Iron)
Return from the Abyss (Forrest of the Crossing Paths)

The common elements in all three experiences were:

1. In each scenario, the player controls two groups of characters, rather than the usual one.
2. I was playing each campaign with the "armory modification" installed.
3. The slow down in turn resolution begins after the player gains control of the second group of characters.

Some sample saved turns are attached.
Attachments
RftA-Iron and mud Turn 25 copy.gz
(302.48 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
RftA-Iron and mud Turn 38 copy.gz
(299.94 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
RftA-Iron and mud Turn 47 copy.gz
(305.65 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

Samonella

Post by Samonella » December 28th, 2018, 9:01 pm

Thanks for reporting it and providing saves, normally that would be everything I need to figure out the problem. But with this one I really don't know where to start, I didn't mess with the ai at all in this mod and I don't know much about the ai in general. I'll mess around with the saves and look through those scenarios' code but I'm not expecting any success.

Can-ned_Food

Post by Can-ned_Food » December 28th, 2018, 11:39 pm

My first thought, and probably many others' too, would be that so many available combinations of attacks causes the computations to slog through processing which doesn't predict each combination in parallel — but I don't know what I'm talking about there, because I've not looked at how it processes combat or whether multithreading doesn't operate so well in the versions compiled for some OS platforms as it does for others.

I do know that it anticipates level–up healing in the predictions, but I do not know how: does it presume [advancement] healing, or does it actually look at the changes applied with the level–up?
Anyway, that probably doesn't have any pertinence here.

I wonder whether the same slow–down would occur if a [side] controller=ai had more than one [side] as enemy, regardless of who controlled that side.
Does it occur in skirmish, i.e. non–campaign, games?

Samonella

Post by Samonella » December 29th, 2018, 4:52 pm

Can-ned_Food wrote:
December 28th, 2018, 11:39 pm
My first thought, and probably many others' too, would be that so many available combinations of attacks causes the computations to slog through processing
That was my first thought too, but if that was the case then this kind of slow down would happen in all large scenarios. I played through several campaigns and never saw anything like it. I'll have to try it in a really, really big 1v1 too rule this out for sure.
Can-ned_Food wrote:
I've not looked at how it processes combat or whether multithreading doesn't operate so well in the versions compiled for some OS platforms as it does for others.
I was under the impression that wesnoth had no parallelization at all?
Can-ned_Food wrote:
I do know that it anticipates level–up healing in the predictions, but I do not know how: does it presume [advancement] healing, or does it actually look at the changes applied with the level–up?
If it was simulating the advance and all the events that go with it then that could be a lengthy computation, but that seems pretty unlikely. And again that would slow it down in any large match.
Can-ned_Food wrote:
I wonder whether the same slow–down would occur if a [side] controller=ai had more than one [side] as enemy, regardless of who controlled that side.
Does it occur in skirmish, i.e. non–campaign, games?
This is a good idea to test. I did do a fair number of multiplayer games where the ai had multiple enemies, but they were all on very small maps, no more than 20 units per side. Also, I know I've played games with an allied AI against multiple AI enemies (like the first scenario of HttT) without problems.