The Cage of the Fury (2 player map)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JuanM89

The Cage of the Fury (2 player map)

Post by JuanM89 »

Only a mountain wall keeps this island safe from its own heart.
Attachments
2p - The Cage of the Fury.map
(5.52 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
Screenshot.jpeg
Quetzalcoatl

Re: The Cage of the Fury (2 player map)

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

13,11 can be taken by p1 before p2 will be able to reach it. Village stealing is considered to be serious (potentially game stealing) issue.
I'm also not sure about amount of forests, maybe rebels would be a bit OP.

Other than that I think the map is very good. Good job.
Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
JuanM89

Post by JuanM89 »

Quetzalcoatl wrote:13,11 can be taken by p1 before p2 will be able to reach it. Village stealing is considered to be serious (potentially game stealing) issue.
I'm also not sure about amount of forests, maybe rebels would be a bit OP.
Hi.
Following Quetzalcoatl's advices, I've done a pair of changes:
First, this scenario has a new distribution for the villages; now p1 is safer from village stealing and has one village for him or for her at the beginning of the game.
Second, I've remade some areas in order to reduce the amount of forests, which actually used to give an advantage to elves.
I hope that this version is more balanced. Thanks because of your comments, they have been a great help.
Attachments
2p - The Cage of the Fury.cfg
(8.23 KiB) Downloaded 269 times
Screenshot.jpeg
Quetzalcoatl

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Hello,

I made replay to demonstrate village steal. It gives few free rounds for P1 and even later on scout can get lucky and buy some extra time. Furthermore it disrupts P2 game plan/strategy forcing him to take that scout down in first place. As P2 has to send few units to kill scout P1 does not only have better income but can also prepare attack while P2 tries go get his villa back.

There are few ways to deal with most straightforward would be to put village 19 (2 X 9 (for quick scouts) + 1) hexes away from P1 castle. Some maps are asymmetrical because of that reason. Alternatively there can be some WML event that would do the trick (like on Athermaw or Serpent Ford for example), although from my experience people do not like getting to fancy with WML.

Hope this helps :) . Forest changes look good to me.

EDIT: Maybe moving that village to opposite flank would be also option.

Cheers
Q
Attachments
Auto-Save.gz
(20.21 KiB) Downloaded 260 times
Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
JuanM89

Post by JuanM89 »

Hi.
In order to prevent village stealing I've added a walking corpse to protect the vulnerable village. It's a weak and slow unit, so I guess that it wouldn't give a big advantage to player 2.
I hope that it doesn't look like a lazy solution, but at this point I wouldn't risk to add another change, which could bring another disorder to the map.

Special thanks to Quetzalcoatl, your attention was more than what I would have expected for my little contribution. :D
See you.
Attachments
(8.37 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
screenshot.jpeg
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Great map, like all the other maps you make! :D
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Hor wrote:Hi.
In order to prevent village stealing I've added a walking corpse to protect the vulnerable village. It's a weak and slow unit, so I guess that it wouldn't give a big advantage to player 2.
I hope that it doesn't look like a lazy solution, but at this point I wouldn't risk to add another change, which could bring another disorder to the map.

Special thanks to Quetzalcoatl, your attention was more than what I would have expected for my little contribution. :D
See you.
That's an interesting fix. But if you're going to give a free WC to P2, shouldn't you give one to P1 as well? Also it's worth considering that undead usually don't have access to the leadership ability which could make that WC (and any gotten via plague) more deadly.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yes Sapient has a good point, you should put a Walking Corpse on the nearest village to P1 so that it is even for both.
JuanM89

Post by JuanM89 »

First of all, I'd like to thank The Gnat. I've seen how he has always offer his support to people who try to do their first contribution to the Wesnoth community.

In this version of the map, I've replaced the walking corpse with a giant rat. This considering Sapient's observation about the power that a walking corpse could get if player 2 uses leadership. Also, I've added a rat for player 1.

Thanks for commenting. See you.
Attachments
(8.48 KiB) Downloaded 251 times
Screenshot.jpeg
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Saurian heaven.