[Complete] PYRA Mettle, Insecurity, Despair - III. PYRAMID Tournament

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Horus2

[Complete] PYRA Mettle, Insecurity, Despair - III. PYRAMID Tournament

Post by Horus2 »

This tournament-related article is a stub... but i wanted to announce the fact that it is going to happen, so everyone can prepare and get on the board when the time comes. If you have any ideas or remark, now is the time to share those.

1. General

PYRAMID is a 1v1 tournament in the PYRA era and this year, we are going to use Extended settings. There is however a twist, because you are obliged to pick the leaders (i will elaborate why is it necessary a bit later).

Pick Your Recruits Armageddon is the era of meaningful decisions, endless small talk about unit compositions, and entertaining mess. If you played zookeeper's original PYR, or maybe more recently played a patchworks isar, you know what is it about. If not, here is a brief introduction:
New to PYRA? It doesn't really matter. Learn all the rules in literally 2 minutes!:
Changes done to standard and advanced units' attributes:

2. Time of the event

The tournament will begin in 19th May (Friday) and ends approximately 8 weeks later.
Nomination starts on the 1st of May and closed when the deadline is over AND the rooster has a player count divisible by 4.

3. Tournament system

Upon registration, the players have to pick 3 leaders that are accessible in PYRA Extended. This can be done publically, or if you do not want to let the opponents counter-pick your leader, you can send them to me in a private message (recommended). Once registration is over, i will publish everyone's leader choices.
In first round, players are paired randomly. For each game you have to choose one of your picked leaders. Upon opening the host must confirm in whisper that he decided the leader, then the other player is allowed to join. Once you have seen each others' leaders, you cannot change your mind.
The victorious player is happy. The defeated player loses the assigned leader and it cannot be chosen anymore. Rest in pepperoni.
In the next rounds, players are paired according how many leaders they still have. If the number of players with 3 leaders is odd, one of them will be paired someone with 2 leaders remaining, and so on. Players without leaders are eliminated from the tournament. Again, rest in pepperoni.
If someone has only 1 leader left and has no opponent for the round, he will be attacked by an angry spirit (randomly chosen by a raffle in hell). The eliminated player gains control of a Shadow leader with slow trait, which is temporarily implemented for the sake of the tournament and is not allowed to be picked otherwise. If the spirit wins, he can suck the lifeforce our of the victim, and the player can revive one of his/her leaders. If the spirit loses, the player cannot participate in the upcoming raffles anymore.

4. Settings

Timer: No timer on this tournament! - The reason is that picking for the recruit list, all this according to a random starting time and the enemy's leader takes a lot of time.
Use Map Settings: On! - This also means Time of Day has to be random (except on Tombs Of Kesorak).
Shuffle Sides: Off! The era does not go on well with shuffle sides. If turned on, there is 50% chance for one of the leader shapeshifting to the opponent's leader. It's a very silly glitch and unfortunately it makes side randomizing more difficult. You either have to set up a game previously just to decide that and start a new one according to the result, or have to reach agreement on who goes where.

Turns: Unlimited
Village gold: 2
Experience modifier: 70%
Observers: On

The rest is defined by map settings.

5. Map rotation

Because map randomising conflicts with PYRA and there were many problems with choosing a valid map in the previous tournaments, this year everyone will play the map designated for that round.
The list of maps in order:
  1. Rice Terraces
  2. Mining Colony
  3. Swamp of Dread
  4. Karphiol Valley
  5. Serpent Ford
  6. Sulla's Ruins
  7. Wellington
  8. Fallenstar Lake
  9. Clearing Gushes
  10. Weldyn Channel
  11. Silverhead Crossing
Note: At 16 players, there will be only 9 rounds top and therefore Clearing Gushes will be the last one to be played.

6. Game validation

To validate the game, someone has to upload them or give a link to the file on the replay server.
Even though it is usually the winner who uploads the replays, the loser or even the observers are allowed to do it.
It is a good practice to hide the name of the winner in spoiler tags.

7. Scheduling matches

The time for the round is one week. The organiser can alter this in both directions according to the performance of the participants.
You have to arrange the match with your opponent by yourself. It can be done in lobby, PM, IRC etc... but the preferred method is to challenge him/her in this thread and inform us when you are available. This way you can prove that you actively tried to reach out for the opponent, which gives you the upper hand if the organiser has to judge the outcome.
When only one day left from the round and there are unscheduled matches, the organiser will seek out the players and take part in arranging it for themselves.
If a player is missing and did not give a valid reason in advance for his/her absence, and 24 hours passed since the end of the round, the missing player is disqualified and the opponent progresses without a fight.

8. Cheats and other abuses

Here is a list of common misdeeds and their consequences:
  • Well-grounded peeking & variants = Ban from here, all future tournaments organised by Horus2, and maybe from the multiplayer server too.
  • Insulting other players (beyond their comfort zone) = Warning --> Losing a round --> Ban from current and future Horus2 tournaments.
  • Flooding the chat = warning --> muting --> Ban from the tournament.
  • Playing wrong map or wrong leader = Match has to be reopened if the faulty player won; if we know the host and its opponent won, it counts as a valid victory, and in case of a wrong leader, the winner can choose which leader is lost.
  • Not responding 24 hours after the deadline is over = Disqualification, subbing if possible.
Just because something is not on the list, it does not mean it is tolerated; creative abuses will result in creative punishments.

9. Substituting

If someone abandoned the tournament (either for a valid reason or not) before the third round ended, his/her remaining leaders will be transfered to the first active sub on the waiting list, if there is any. After the third round, subbing is not possible.

10. Ethics
  • The first turn is supposed to last for long, as it can determine the outcome alone. You do no have to beg for forgiveness if you take your time!
  • When you are player2, use planning mode to choose the units in the opponent's turn to speed up the game.
  • Make contact with your opponent as soon as possible and take the deadlines seriously. Notify us if you cannot attend to the game.
  • If you accidentally entered the game before the opponent could decide the leader, leave the game and try again.
  • You can play with timer if you both prefer to play with it, but it is not recommended. Since the trick with the planning mode exists, player2 has twice as much time to pick the units.
  • Returning as an angry spirit demands you to stay close to the tournament long after you have been eliminated. If you do not want to live with the opportunity of a resurrection, tell it to us on forum, so the raffle win will not be wasted.

11. Modifications

Plan Your Advancement is allowed.
Corpsemode is discouraged, it is not compatible with PYRA.
The mod which can change your colour to a non-default shade is forbidden for the observers sake.
Horus2

Re: PYRA Mettle, Insecurity, Despair - III. PYRAMID Tourname

Post by Horus2 »

placeholder text:
PYRAMID3_Round8.PNG
Last edited by Horus2 on July 29th, 2017, 12:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Elder2

Post by Elder2 »

I shall be the first one to register!

I have no fear, I will post my leader choices here.

My picks are:

-Spider lich (the most ancient leader in PYRA)

-Infantry lieutanant

-Necrophage

Edit: I have switched one of my leaders from Troll to Necrophage.
Last edited by Elder2 on May 2nd, 2017, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gnidaoL

Post by gnidaoL »

I am the second to register (?) :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

My leader picks:

-Drake Warrior

-Desert Ranger

-Spider Lich
Last edited by gnidaoL on May 7th, 2017, 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
draghen

Post by draghen »

draghen!

secret picks armageddon.
ShadowVeil1

Post by ShadowVeil1 »

Hey everyone!

Great rules Horus2, kudos to you and everyone who assisted for putting the event together! :eng: Hahah, being a Shadow myself I cannot help but thoroughly appreciate the reference in the Tournament system ;D I hope that angry spirit was inspired by my character lols :oops: And also hope the angry spirit comes to me...I would then secretly hide it in my pocket as a 4th leader when bad times come :D Anyways, jokes aside it's a great honor and pleasure to register to this grand event. I have ultimate respect for your contribution to map development and event organization Horus2. May the Force be with you, comrades and competitors. Because you will certainly need it against the likes of me ;)

P.S. I bravely announce my leader choices:

1. Elvish Marksman
2. Loyalist Lieutenant
3. White Mage

As you can see on my Avatar, this is me and the angry spirit puppy awaiting you on the tournament :))
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

Naturally, i'll participate. Btw it's good to see my map in the pool.
But i have to think about my leaders...
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
Danniel_BR
2019 Fast Tournament Champion

Post by Danniel_BR »

Ofc, I'm in

I want

1- Elvish Sorceress
2- Swordsman
3- Desert Captain

Let's Rock!
Oook

Post by Oook »

Sounds fun, count me in.

Leaders:

Ixthala Demon (Mettle)
Desert Ranger (Insecurity)
Spider Lich (Despair)
NanRage

Post by NanRage »

Bon dia & many thanks Horus for organize tournament!

I am in.

My lord picks:

1.- Desert Marksman
2.- Desert ranger
3.- Desert Captain

Salut!
Solymos-HUN

Post by Solymos-HUN »

I would like to apply, I promise to submit to the rules, not to hesitate and to behave well :)

1. Lieutenant PYR
2. Elvish Marksman PYR
3. Dwarvish Runesmith PYR
Krogen

Post by Krogen »

Good to see you Solymos!
I also decided my leaders:
1. Drake Flare
2. Desert Ranger
3. Lieutenant
"A lion doesn't concern himself with the opinions of the sheep." - Tywin Lannister
Mint

Post by Mint »

Unhelpful time zone? No problemo, I'm feeling bold!

With all of those revealed leaders, the honourable thing to do is to post mine too ;)

1) Elvish Marksman
2) Desert Marksman
3) Ixthala Demon (The third marksman is the Masked Thunderguard, but unfortunately is PYRA Ultimate exclusive)
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

Public Service Announcement

Since it was not defined in the rules, i do it here: changing leaders is not allowed after 7th May, Sunday. If you want to edit your leader, either secretly or openly, you can still do it this week. I had two such requests already, probably Mint will be the third when he reads that the third marksman leader is the slayer. :mrgreen:

A new version of PYRA is out. Circle for vampire bat is fixed, and more importantly the bug which made it impossible to play properly on a map with different starting gold than 100. The maplist features only 100g maps; maybe i will rethink it before the launch, but i feel content about the current list so that is not likely.
Ammazzalepri

Post by Ammazzalepri »

I'm in!

With:

1- Dark Sorcerer
2-Dwarwish Runesmith
3-Elder Wose

:evil: