Add-on Request to Increase Health/Damage

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Stylus

Add-on Request to Increase Health/Damage

Post by Stylus »

Hello, I'm Stylus and I wanted to make a request. I've been experimenting with various add-on's and lately I've been playing a couple that alter the way hits work in the game. For example, the Biased Random Damage Mod allows each attack to hit 100% of the time, but at reduced damage based on the chance to hit. The final damage value is then subject to a damage range, so an attack with a 50% chance to hit for 10 damage without the mod will turn into a chance to hit 100% of the time dealing 4-6 damage with the mod.

This damage range works fine with larger numbers, but when the numbers get smaller, things become more imbalanced. For example, changing damage from 15 to 13-17 isn't as extreme as changing damage from 2 to 1-3. After some thought, I determined a simple way to fix the higher variance at the lower damage ranges, whilst also changing as little as possible. By increasing all health and damage (and things like healing and poison damage of course) by a multiple of ten, the damage ranges would become much less steep at lower damage. A range of 1-3 might become a range of 17-23, as opposed to the equivalent of the original, 10-30. Increasing the overall health would also fix the issue of rounding with resistances as well. Instead of a 3 damage piercing attack against a target with -20% resist doing 3 damage still (rounded down from 3.6), it would do 36 damage.

I am making the request because I have absolutely no knowledge of how one would go about implementing this change into the game, and I could not find any pre-existing add-on's that multiplied the overall health/damage by 10, or any amount for that matter. It's something of a small change on the surface, and I'll admit that it doesn't help the balance the base game by all that much, but it would go a long way for any mods/add-on's that seek to implement any sort of damage range to the game and I would greatly appreciate it if someone were able to create such an add-on to increase the health/damage for the game. Thank you for your time.

TLDR: Request for an add-on that multiplies health/damage by 10
The_Gnat

Re: Add-on Request to Increase Health/Damage

Post by The_Gnat »

Hello, id like to do this but I will have to have a look at how hard it would be. In wesnoth 1.13 they have made changes so doing this would be possible but in 1.12 it may be to hard to create.
Stylus

Post by Stylus »

Hey Gnat, glad to hear you're interested in helping out. It hadn't occurred to me that the add-on could be easier or harder depending on the version. Looking forward to whatever solution you come up with.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yes, in wesnoth 1.13 they have made new changes to the code, which make it easier to write. Would it be good with you if i created it as a modification for 1.13?
Stylus

Post by Stylus »

Whatever you think is best, I don't mind either version. Thanks!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Ok, when i have time i will create it for 1.13, but unfortunately that might not be for a few weeks.
Stylus

Post by Stylus »

Whatever works best for you is fine.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Yes, and welcome to the wesnoth forum! :D
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I apologize about taking so long, but if your still playing wesnoth i have upload a add-on the "HP mod" to the wesnoth 1.13 server. Please post and say what you think of it!

It adds a modification check box to multiplayer and single player which then allows you to move a scroll bar and change the life of every unit in the game.

Unfortunately i have noticed it does not work with the multiplayer scenario Dark Forecast.

If you notice any problems please post and i will fix them! :D

Everyones comments are welcome!
Stylus

Post by Stylus »

Just tried it and it works great; the slider is a nice touch. It is a bit different from the original idea however, in that it only multiplies the health by a percentage, rather than the health and the damage being dealt. This can create some silly situations. I found that the number of units on the field can get pretty ridiculous at 1000%.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

:lol: Yes i noticed that also. Sorry i misunderstood. Would you like me to create another bar for a percentage increase for the damage dealt by all units?
Stylus

Post by Stylus »

If it's not a problem then that would be ideal.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Okay, i will see if i can add that!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

I have updated the Hitpoint Modification to now include a slider bar to modify damage percentage! :D
Stylus

Post by Stylus »

Nice, this is much better. There are a few things I noticed however. It looks like you used leadership to allow for the damage increase. A side effect of this is that leadership itself no longer works, at least not at 1000% hp/damage. Also, poison damage and village healing remain at 8, which is pretty silly at the higher hp percentages. Lastly, in terms of the damage increase itself, some of the math seems iffy to me. I was playing at 1000% damage, so an attack stat of 6-3 should look like 60-3 now. For some reason, all the numbers were higher. For example, 60-3 was always 66-3. 30-3 would be 33-3. These are the numbers that would show up when hovering over the unit, not in the combat forecast, so it wasn't the enemies resistance. I tested this with neutral units, so it wasn't the time of day either. Other than that, I'm really liking the add-on!