Recruiting in foggy castle tiles

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Samonella

Recruiting in foggy castle tiles

Post by Samonella »

I was messing around against an ai on Arcanclave Citadel when I noticed something odd. Basically, I tried to recruit right next to the enemy leader (in fog). It happened that there was another enemy unit on the tile I tried to recruit to. Now, normally when you right-click on a castle tile that's already occupied the recruit option doesn't show up, but, since the tile was foggy, it still did (which is a good thing, otherwise you could just right-click to find out where enemy unit are). When I actually tried to recruit, however, the unit got placed next to my leader, basically on the opposite side of the map. A complete waste of gold. If I didn't make it clear what's happening, take a look at the attached save; I set a couple of labels so you can easily see for yourself.

Of course, the number of times that this will happen in a serious game is extremely low, so this isn't an important issue. But wouldn't it make more sense to place the new unit as close to the desired tile as possible?
Attachments
Arcanclave_Citadel_-_Foggy_Castle.gz
(34.08 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
The last few months have been nothing but one big, painful reminder that TIMTLTW.

Creator of Armory Mod, The Rising Underworld, and Voyage of a Drake: an RPG
nuorc
Forum Regular

Re: Recruiting in foggy castle tiles

Post by nuorc »

Samonella wrote:(which is a good thing, otherwise you could just right-click to find out where enemy unit are).
But wouldn't it make more sense to place the new unit as close to the desired tile as possible?
I guess because the desired hex is not available the default placing takes effect (same hex as if you were recruiting without specifying one). So, as you said it was a good thing, it's not very likely to happen in 'serious' games and any change would complicate things: I guess it's fine to stay as it is. :)
I have a cunning plan.