Default AI (RCA)

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

The_Gnat

Default AI (RCA)

Post by The_Gnat »

Hello, recently i have tested the Default AI and noticed a few problems.

1- the AI doesn't make the best use of castles, for example multiple times i created maps that had castles very close to each other. Despite giving the AI 800 gold the AI would only recruit in the castle he started in.

2- the AI often throws his leader into trouble, for example i made a map where the AI and I started close enough to engage on turn 1, often the AI decides to leave his units and castle and attack a enemy unit, not realizing the problems this will create in future turns (i killed him the next turn)

3- the AI often (in Age Of Heroes) recruits lvl 1 units when it has a small castle and 800 gold. This means that even though he could easily buy 6 lvl 2 units instead he buys multiple level 1 units giving himself a disadvantage because he would never have time to spend all his money (so there is no reason to save it).

This thread may not be in the correct place, if not it would be appreciated if it was move! Also i unfortunately have no time to code a AI.

Thank you!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Default AI (RCA)

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

the AI often throws his leader into trouble, for example i made a map where the AI and I started close enough to engage on turn 1, often the AI decides to leave his units and castle and attack a enemy unit, not realizing the problems this will create in future turns (i killed him the next turn)
Oh, You remember that scenario where you do your utmost best to protect the allied leader by sacrificing your elites and the allied leader just decides to "[censored] it, I am gonna die!" :lol: :lol:

Instead of complaining, try out the Experimental AI :P . It's really good in overcoming most of these problems. There is also another one called "Strong AI" that focuses on overwhelming force when given adequate gold. Also, you can improve AI behaviour by adding Micro_AI (yes, they work in Multiplayer too). Try out the UMC Minotaur Battlefield (Sorry, promoting my own add-ons since nobody downloads it anymore :( )
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:
the AI often throws his leader into trouble, for example i made a map where the AI and I started close enough to engage on turn 1, often the AI decides to leave his units and castle and attack a enemy unit, not realizing the problems this will create in future turns (i killed him the next turn)
Oh, You remember that scenario where you do your utmost best to protect the allied leader by sacrificing your elites and the allied leader just decides to "[censored] it, I am gonna die!" :lol: :lol:

Instead of complaining, try out the Experimental AI :P . It's really good in overcoming most of these problems. There is also another one called "Strong AI" that focuses on overwhelming force when given adequate gold. Also, you can improve AI behaviour by adding Micro_AI (yes, they work in Multiplayer too). Try out the UMC Minotaur Battlefield (Sorry, promoting my own add-ons since nobody downloads it anymore :( )
Thanks! :D I've given "Strong AI" a test (but it was not that impressive) so i think i will try out "Experimental AI".

(As for promoting your add-on, i don't mind i do the same all the time :mrgreen: DOWNLOAD THE AWESOME 5 LORDS REIGN ERA)
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

The_Gnat wrote:I've given "Strong AI" a test (but it was not that impressive) so i think i will try out "Experimental AI".
The Strong AI is really just the default AI with some modifications to recruiting, while the Experimental AI adds some additional behavior. More information on the available AIs is available on this page and the links therein.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Thanks for that link mattsc, I see the strong ai has been changed in 1.13

I haven't looked into micro ai much but I think it would be great if a ai could be programmed to:

- not attack at bad time of day
- stay on good defense terrain
- guard leader
- target enemy leader

I dont have time now but maybe at some point!
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

- guard leader
- target enemy leader
You forgot to mention the AI using units with Leadership correctly. Currently, the AI just treats them like regular units.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

The_Gnat wrote:Thanks for that link mattsc, I see the strong ai has been changed in 1.13
Just to clarify, the AI itself was not changed at all. But it was renamed (to avoid confusion) and is now only available in debug mode (since it is really only a very minor variation of the default AI, with somewhat different recruiting parameters that can easily be set with a few lines of WML code). I assume that's what you meant, just didn't want somebody else to get the wrong impression.
The_Gnat wrote:but I think it would be great if a ai could be programmed to:
- guard leader
- target enemy leader
Lord-Knightmare wrote:You forgot to mention the AI using units with Leadership correctly. Currently, the AI just treats them like regular units.
Of course, those are exactly the kind of things that are anything but trivial to do in a way that works in a general setting. It's relatively easy to do something along those lines that works 80%, or even 98%, of the time, but in my experience the moves the rest of the time are so bad that the overall behavior (or at least perceived behavior) is worse than that of the default AI. Once you start working on it, you learn to appreciate how good the default AI actually is.
Spoiler:
But don't take my word for it. As I have mentioned in other places before, I am no expert on this at all, I just like to play around with things, so ...
The_Gnat wrote:I dont have time now but maybe at some point!
... if you can figure something out, great.
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Thank you mattsc, please tell me when your AI "Fred" is completed! I would be interested in trying it!

Thank you :D