Continuing a match after all players have disconnected?

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Ruggler

Continuing a match after all players have disconnected?

Post by Ruggler »

I've been reading about setting up setting up a local wesnoth server here: https://wiki.wesnoth.org/MultiplayerServers

It said: "Other users can then connect to it by inputting the IP address of the host machine under Connect to Server. As soon as all players disconnect, the local server will be shut down."

This game is a favorite among me and my siblings, but we play it about as often as monopoly because it's long. Does anyone know if it's possible to configure a dedicated wesnoth server so that we can start a match that allows the players to disconnect after the match start and reconnect periodically (say, once a day) to take their turn?

I've done a little searching with any keywords I can think of to answer this question, I can't imagine I'm the first to ask. A link to instructions on how to set this up would be a dream come true lol.
Whiskeyjack

Re: Continuing a match after all players have disconnected?

Post by Whiskeyjack »

I never did this, but supposedly you can send your save files per mail and do your turn on your local Wesnoth installation before sending it on to the next player. If you want to log in at the same time to spectate and comment, this would of course not be the solution you were looking for.
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Server bot could both keep game going and manage side controls, but I dont think any such bot is currently public.
Ruggler

Post by Ruggler »

Emailing the save file might be the workaround that'll get it done. Thanks for the feedback!
UK1

Post by UK1 »

Ruggler wrote:Emailing the save file might be the workaround that'll get it done. Thanks for the feedback!
I have done this before. Wesnoth play-by-mail, as it were. Just... yaknow, you have to trust each other not to cheat as cheating is made substantially easier than in a live multiplayer game (although it's still certainly doable).
"Hey you, bats should be nerfed."
"Why?"
"Because I lost a game to bat swarm and I'm bitterUhm... clarity... and... consistency? Yeah yeah that sounds good. Clarity and consistency."
Do not. Nerf. The bat.