Zombie Survival Feed-back Mega-Thread!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elivaras

Zombie Survival Feed-back Mega-Thread!

Post by Elivaras »

Good morning, afternoon, or evening everyone! My name is Elivaras, the creator of the Zombie Survival Scenarios series.

I've seen a few people playing them, and from what I've seen, they have been relatively well received! Of course, there is plenty of room for improvement, and this thread is what I aim to collect feed-back and suggestions through. If you have not tried the maps yet, go ahead and search up "Zombie Survival Scenarios" in add-ons, and you should find it pretty quickly!

There are currently 4 scenarios. The first is a 2P survival scenario, where you have to hold out for 35 turns. This map has a decent amount of events to keep it interesting. The second is a 3P survival scenario, where you have to hold out for 40 turns. This has had the most work put into it thus far, with lots and LOTS of events to make the map feel alive. The third one is a different style of zombie survival, a 2P where you have to escape from an impending undead invasion!

As of July 9, 2017, the newest zombie survival has come out: Zombie Survival 4- Shipwrecked! In this 1P map, take control of a group of stranded sailors who sustained heavy damage to their ship, crash-landing on an island in the middle of nowhere. Can you hold out while hordes of zombies approach from all directions?

Alongside this, lots of terrain updates have gone into Zombie Survival 3 to make it look more natural, ESPECIALLY the mountainous dividers. Alongside this, another new lore-based event has been added! Nothing huge, but it might pique some of your interests :)

Feel free to give me feedback and suggestions on whichever scenarios you see could use improvement!

Hope you all enjoy the scenarios! Cheers,

~Elivaras
Last edited by Elivaras on July 12th, 2017, 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The_Gnat

Re: Zombie Survival Feed-back Mega-Thread!

Post by The_Gnat »

Cool i look forward to trying this! I will post more feedback when i do!
Elivaras

Post by Elivaras »

Fill me in when you do! :D Unfortunately development has been postponed for the time being due to being super busy, but I plan to pick it up again in the not to distant future :)
Elivaras

Post by Elivaras »

Hey guys! So I'm finally back with some more updates! Most of my focus is on the third scenario. Any and all feedback is appreciated!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hello i have just started playing Zombies Survival and noticed that you can play as the Zombies in the Multiplayer menu (by setting them to local or network player).

If you want the player to be able to be the zombies that is fine, but i recommend putting allow_player=no in the [side] of the ai.

Also at the top left of the screen when the game started i got an error <Lua> Unknown condition, ignoring.

Also about that teleporting rune could you scroll the screen at first i thought my unit had died ;)

Also all the zombies are normal zombies could you insert variations like dwarf, goblin and others. :D

Also player 2's keep has a disadvantage because the keep where the king recruits is on the edge of the so that enemies can attack the king when you are holding the keep.

The first scenario was really fun and i like all the special things you have placed on the map (like the cave with trolls, great tree with elves and the items you can pick up). The only thing i noticed though is that their doesn't seem to be much point in leaving and exploring the map. The first time i played i just guarded my castle for 35 turns. Maybe in the objectives write "their are items in the map that will help your army". Or make it that if you reach the center of the map there is a chest with 200 gold. Or maybe give bottles of potion that enchant the units weapon with arcane in some place in the map. Or maybe put sign posts near the camp that says something mysterious to get the player to explore that way.

All this would be great because the scenario is so good and it seems a waste to not have more players explore it! :D

Thank you for making this scenario!!!!!
Elivaras

Post by Elivaras »

Thanks for all the feedback! :D

1. Yes, I'll do that. It's not really based around the players playing as the zombies so I'll add that in.

2. I'm not exactly sure what causes that error message... so I don't know how to fix it at this point.

3. I don't exactly know how to force the screen to scroll yet, but I can research it.

4. I can do that! Should add a bit of flavour :)

5. I shall fix the keeps when I can! That's a good point.

6. There are things to have you explore the map, as you have seen- but yes, I should be more clear about it (however I still want them to be surprises- not a "you should go check out that keep/tree over there"). At this point in time most of my focus has been towards the third scenario, so I'll get to adding more surprises when I can.

If you're looking for lots more variety and surprises, I recommend you check out the second scenario! A lot more work has gone into it, there are random events every five turns, tons of items you can find, and there are lots of ways to play it.

And if you're looking for a different zombie survival experience, I recommend you look into trying the third scenario! It's got my new menu triggered event and a different feel to the whole scenario :)

Thank you for your great feedback! Cheers,

~Elivaras
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Thank you and i will definitely try the other scenarios and post feedback when i do.

As for scrolling it can be done using:

Code: Select all

[scroll_to]
x=17
y=14
side = 2
[/scroll_to]
Elivaras

Post by Elivaras »

Ah, thank you very much! I've implemented a lot of the changes you've suggested, and many more as I push out 1.4.0. I hope to get the scrolling in soon!
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Hello after a long time i have finally ^_^ gotten around to playing scenario 3 of the zombie survival. It was good but i actually didn't enjoy it as much as scenario 1. It was (unfortunately) a little repetitive because the entire time you are just moving as fast as you can.

An idea: Maybe you could make it so that the map was shrouded and that the player didn't know where the goal was and then they would have to explore and try to find it. Of course this would require a remake of the map to be more conducive to exploration and it would need places where you could go that were dead ends.

Even if you do not decide to do that here are some other ideas: :D

- The single hex mountain chains which block you off from the different parts of the map look odd. I would suggest using normal tall mountains (rather than impassible) because merman can't move onto them anyway. Also i would suggest changing the thickness of the mountain range to make it look more interesting and real. (not that it will ever look totally real (with huge houses dwarfing mountains ;) ), but i prefer variety in map scenery)

- The second thing i was thinking is that perhaps you could add large areas of swamp next to one of the enemy castles so that not all the enemy units were zombie mer. It would add more uniqueness. I believe there are 10 different types of zombies, you should make use of it! The undead skeleton units are good because they hide in the deep water.

- Also you the teleportation pads are a nice touch but since their is no story behind it and you can use them as many times as you want it seems to be merely a shortcut. Once you play the scenario once then you know what the teleportation pads do. I am not saying you have to remove the teleporters but i would suggest adding dialog when you move to them and scrolling to where your unit has gone. And also i would limit how many units could go through the teleporters, maybe even only 1.

- The call allies feature is really nice and i like it that they show up where ever you! :D

Overall not much needs to be changed but if you have time at some point i think it would be really good to change the map in such a way that it was more adventurous. Possibly combining a more adventurous map with a randomizer that changes the location of the end goal!

Even though it was not as good as scenario 1 i had much fun playing it! :D

Thank you for making this scenario!
Elivaras

Post by Elivaras »

Thank you so much for your feedback! Sorry it's been a while.

I have reworked the mountainous dividers quite a bit, and made them look a lot more natural. I've also done away with the teleportation pads, as they were kind of random and I'd used them in previous scenarios, which I think was the only reason I was using them at all. I've also added a new lore-based event- nothing huge, but to add a bit of flavour and compensate for no teleportation pads.

As a side note, as you can see above, I've added a new scenario, zombie survival four, a single player zombie survival map that you might enjoy if you have the time!

Thanks again for all the feedback,

~Elivaras
The_Gnat

Post by The_Gnat »

Great! I will try it out and post feedback when i have time!