Ageless Scrolling Survival

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

quequo

Ageless Scrolling Survival

Post by quequo »

Hi everyone

I've been developing the ageless version of the renowned scrolling survival for a while now and I've realised that it is missing an official thread on a forum.
I am tempted to say that Ageless Scrolling Survival is a much more advanced version of the original TSW, unfortunately it is still missing an important thing - a balanced difficulty level (but I'm getting there).

So what does Ageless Scrolling Survival (ASS? :mrgreen:) offer?
  • Three different scrolling maps (actually two, the third one is the original one ported), you choose which one you want to play in the game settings. These are 60, 69 and 160 rounds long. The longest one in addition requires War of the Gods Era installed as I spawn some of the units that are not available in Ageless Era.
  • It is very simple to add another map to the collection, so if the game ever becomes somewhat popular, I'm sure there will be more than three eventually.
  • Cooperative mode. When setting up a new game you can choose whether you want to play a map with or without the wall between the players. Just an option, no need for installing another map.
  • Three players mode. A separate scenario that allows tree players to share the same game. Again, all in the same add-on package.
  • Faction based difficulty. In the original scrolling survival you can play with Undead and die before you see the dwarves. Or you can play Infernai and spend most of the game killing flies of boredom and finish without a single unit being killed. No way you could do that in Ageless Scrolling Survival - you pick a strong race - you get tougher opponents.
  • Another option in game lobby - number of enemies. You feel like bring'em all? No problem. Good luck.
  • In original TSW when your leader dies - game over. In Ageless Scrolling Survival by default if your leader dies, a random unit in your army is made a new leader automatically (no switch leader mod required). But, if you like the original behaviour - there is an option in the lobby to set.
  • Runes and other magical spots. I'm sure most of you know Orocia, right? How about having special spots on the map where your units get random upgrades?
Any suggestions, critique, ideas and map replays are very welcome.

Thanks.
quequo

Re: Ageless Scrolling Survival

Post by quequo »

It's been a while since the first release and the Ageless Scrolling Survival has turned into a small monster now. As of today (version 2.10) Ageless Scrolling Survival offers:
  • 5 different maps to choose from (36, 48, 60, 72 and 160 virtual turns long)
  • 6 different lava paces to choose from (standard 1 hex per turn, fast 2 hexes per turn and slow 1 hex per 2 turns plus 3 extra wave modes 1-2-0, 1-0-3 and 1-0-2-0 => that's ultimately where the term "virtual turn" used above was born)
  • 3 modes to choose from (standard, cooperative and 3 players)
  • responsive enemies' strength and what I mean by that is that when your units get a bit overpowered due to the use of say xp mod or whatever else then the enemies get stronger too
  • responsive enemies' army -> basically if you manage to create a fairly decent army then you will get a few more enemies to deal with to slow you down so you don't get bored
  • faction based difficulty - nothing has changed here. All factions from the Ageless Era are covered. If you choose to use another era then you are free to do so but the outcome of the faction strength calculation can be quite random
  • fog mode - if you wish, you can play with no incoming enemy labels so you have no idea what monsters are going to be spawned. Plus the whole landscape is covered in mist to enhance the effect :mrgreen:
  • plus everything else that's been there for a while now, like follow the leader option, healing spots, runes, difficulty levels and so on
Now, because of the multitude of different maps times different options to choose from, at the moment there are 90 different map settings possible. Multiply that by the number of factions available in the Ageless Era times 3 different difficulty levels and you get a pretty decent number of combinations. It is impossible to balance the game with all the variables, especially doing it alone. If you like the map and would like to help with balancing then post a replay of you playing. Especially if you feel you played well and still lost or if you managed to create a whole army or one overpowered unit that nothing can harm. And of course if you carry your tough battle out to the end and win then also feel free to post your replay.

Thanks
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Hello quequo.
I recently discovered a bug/exploit in ASS. It is possible to take a treasure, then undo, gold amount of treasure will be added to players gold. This causes OOS. The other player won't get the right numbers, but see the treasure still as untaken.
If then first player does recruit, OOS message for second player will be "Not enough resources to recruit" stuff.
Thanks for creating ASS :)
I like beavers.
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Hi. I finished Forest Map sucessfully. Where is that "Hall of Fame", mencioned in the win message? I demand my place in it! ;)
Attachments
ASS-Forest_Map-Turn_29.gz
I killed the World Destroyer on Forest Map.
(307.15 KiB) Downloaded 679 times
I like beavers.
Xara

Post by Xara »

What does "Waves: 5/5/5/4/5/6/5/4" mean?

And I think the buff from dynamic difficulty should be shown in a trait.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
Zap-Zarap

Post by Zap-Zarap »

Wesnoth 1.14.

Hello quequo.
Some minor issue on the new version: when starting a PvP Ageless Scrolling, "follow leader" is not set by default, as it was before.
I think, that original behaviour was more intuitive.
Thx for nice addon. :)
I like beavers.
Ramdi_Za_Kara_III

Post by Ramdi_Za_Kara_III »

Unfortunatley, I couldn't defeat last boss. He got over 500 hp and needed only 60 xp for advancing, so he could wipe my army constantly healing to full. I havo no idea if it's just an issue of my setup or it always happens. Rest of map is very good and enjoyable.
Pagawan

Post by Pagawan »

Hi quequo,
I would like to inquire on the current maintener of Default Scrolling Survival. It is not clear whether you maintain both Ageless and the Default one.
If you do maintenance on both, please balance the difficulty in Default Scroll. Even the easiest difficulty (Hard) pauses a serious challenge to experienced players. New players cannot handle it.
Regards,
Pagawan
Loading Advertisement