Squad-Scale Units Modpack

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of the mods (if any) should be uploaded separately from the others?

1. None of them
No votes
2. No Heal on Advance Mod
20%
3. Defined Army Mod
40%
4. Better Castles Mod
No votes
5. Group XP Mod
40%

Total votes: 5

Hammerfritz

Squad-Scale Units Modpack

Post by Hammerfritz »

Greetings, people of Wesnoth!

Since I recently submitted a MP-modification on the add-on server, I though I might as well register to the forum, should anybody want to discuss my first humble contribution to this excellent game.

EDIT: I updated the pack to version 1.7.0, which mostly changes the reinforcement mechanisms of the squads mod. You can still opt to use the old mechanism If you like it way better than the new one let me know, and I might include it in another mod. Also, this pack will not contain a modified version of Eagle 11's Advance on Kill mod any longer, since its new version is now compatible with my own mods.

EDIT: Updated to 1.7.1. Disabled wall glitching by splitting units and made both splitting and reinforcing require movement points left.

My Squad-Scale Units Modpack consists of several mods of mine:

1. Squads Mod
The idea behind squads mod is to push gameplay further to the direction of units representing squads or companies rather than an individual alone.
This is achieved by adding the familiar swarm special to all attacks, doubling unit hp and attack numbers as well as effects of poison, healing, rest, regeneration and such.
A second feature is the possibility to merge ("reinforce") units, which allows for giving single units more health, either to heal a unit, or to concentrate more power on a single hex. Reinforced units can be split again later, in which case all the experience remains with one of the resulting units.

Some notes on squads mod:
-Units can get 0 attacks at low hp - mind this before ulfserking Adepts with low-hp Dwarves.
-The changes to attacks are carried out at the start of each player's turn, you will not see them directly after recruitment.

2. No Heal on Advance Mod
Units to not gain full health when levelling. Status effects are still removed.

3. Defined Army Mod
This mod removes the income system. Units are only recruited in turn 1 (and allowed to leave their castle hex). Since ai cannot really cope with this change of gameplay, it was modified slightly.

4. Better Castles Mod
Increases Defense on Catsles for all units.

5. Group XP Mod
Distributes XP for killing evenly among units within 3 hexes distance of the killed unit, instead of awarding it to the killing unit alone.

The mods were designed with Advance-Kill mod by Eagle 11 and my own Proper Flying-mod in mind, I usually play them in conjunction. I hope them to be compatible with various eras, but I haven't tested.

Feedback is most welcome! Especially the point which of the mods are actually played interests me, since 5 mods may be a bit much for a pack if you enjoy only one of them, really.
Last edited by Hammerfritz on May 10th, 2018, 8:36 pm, edited 12 times in total.
In general, speaking is a free action that you can perform even when it isn’t your turn.

(Wizards of the Coast: Dungeons and Dragons Player's Handbook)
Eagle_11

Re: Squads MP-Mod

Post by Eagle_11 »

-Units can get 0 attacks at low hp - mind this before ulfserking Adepts with low-hp Dwarves.
DA dont have melee attacks to retaliate, unless your mod changes that.
Hammerfritz

Re: Squads MP-Mod

Post by Hammerfritz »

Eagle_11 wrote:
DA dont have melee attacks to retaliate, unless your mod changes that.
It doesn't. I just couldn't get the picture out of my mind in which a 0 attack-Ulfserker sluggs it out against a 0 attack-Adept for 30 rounds because Knalgan player forgot about the swarm effect. That move is so damn intuitive. But I tried it now, there's no delay, it's just a wasted move.
In general, speaking is a free action that you can perform even when it isn’t your turn.

lea

Re: Squad-Scale Units Modpack

Post by lea »

I wrote "undo healing on advance" mod for my own era/ruleset but it suffered from a bug: when both units advance simultaneously (rare but possible) one of them does not get to choose its advancement path and fully heals.
Your "No Heal on Advance Mod" does not have this bug so I fixed my code with parts of your code ) Thanks!
author of: Altered Era/Ruleset (AKA "Altera"), latest version is on add-ons servers for BfW 1.16 and 1.14, latest version also still supports BfW 1.12 and 1.10, 1.10 server is stuck with older buggy version)
Hammerfritz

Post by Hammerfritz »

lea wrote:I wrote "undo healing on advance" mod for my own era/ruleset but it suffered from a bug: when both units advance simultaneously (rare but possible) one of them does not get to choose its advancement path and fully heals.
Your "No Heal on Advance Mod" does not have this bug so I fixed my code with parts of your code ) Thanks!
Glad I could publish something helpful!

slothMD

Post by slothMD »

Hammerfritz wrote:
lea wrote:I wrote "undo healing on advance" mod for my own era/ruleset but it suffered from a bug: when both units advance simultaneously (rare but possible) one of them does not get to choose its advancement path and fully heals.
Glad I could publish something helpful!
Are you kidding? This modpack (minus defined army) takes me like 90% of where I'd ideally want this game to be, and fixes a lot of my annoyances with the combat model.
Hammerfritz

Post by Hammerfritz »

Oh my, I didn't write this out of annoyance but just for some versatility in my games, so didn't expect that kind of flattering feedback! Thank you very much!
If you have any suggestions for those remaining 10% I might be able to fulfill with my (limited) capabilities I'd gladly give it a shot!