MP Mod Idea: Random Recruits, Attributes, and Traits

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

KaptinKurk

MP Mod Idea: Random Recruits, Attributes, and Traits

Post by KaptinKurk » July 21st, 2016, 12:00 am

Hello,

I am wondering if such a mod is possible. All settings would be adjustable.

Basically, me and a friend play with Pick Your Recruits and choose a random selection of units. However, I would instead be interested in a modification that gives all players a single recruit choice. This single choice would cost an adjustable amount of money and would recruit a randomly selected unit which is recruitable. So if the amount were set to 15 gold, you could recruit a unit and get a bat or get a wose. So for example if an army of skeleton archers is coming after you, instead of picking a wose or heavy infantry to counter you are instead stuck with whatever unit was randomly recruited. This would also prevent being able to spam the same unit type over and over again (so you cannot make an army of trees against armies of skeletons).

Another thing on top of that would be randomized traits for all recruited units (fearless, loyal, slow, dim, intelligent, dextrous, strong, quick, undead, etc.) where two of them are given to a single unit. So you could get a "feral slow Heavy Infantry" or a "dextrous strong Orc Archer". All traits would have a random chance of being selection. Would it also be possible to make undead under this randomization so that you could get a living skeleton/ghost (so they can be zombiefied/poisoned) and perhaps an undead wolf (that cannot be posioned).

Then on top of that, there would be an adjustable chance (default 5%) chance to be granted an extra ability (heal+4, heal+8, feeding, regenerates, cures, ambush, concealment, skirmisher, etc.).

gfgtdf
Developer

Re: MP Mod Idea: Random Recruits, Attributes, and Traits

Post by gfgtdf » July 21st, 2016, 12:10 am

ageless has afaik a faction with a unit that basically is replaced with a random units of that faction when recruited, so your first point sure possible and most likeley not even hard to implement.

If you want to prevent people from spamming one unit type you can look at the era shipped with word conquest 2 which has 'alternating types' in recuitlist so that when you reuit a unit of some type, that type is then replaced on the recruitment list of that side with some other type.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.

KaptinKurk

Post by KaptinKurk » July 21st, 2016, 1:45 am

gfgtdf wrote:ageless has afaik a faction with a unit that basically is replaced with a random units of that faction when recruited, so your first point sure possible and most likeley not even hard to implement.
Could a new unit be created dynamically when the game starts so that it may be used with any faction or are units fixed for a given faction? If a new unit cannot be created, would it be possible to change the recruiting cost of a unit? I could have it so that whenever a unit is recruited it gets replaced with a random unit and assign it randomized traits.
gfgtdf wrote:If you want to prevent people from spamming one unit type you can look at the era shipped with word conquest 2 which has 'alternating types' in recuitlist so that when you reuit a unit of some type, that type is then replaced on the recruitment list of that side with some other type.
Not really wanting to prevent spamming a single unit, but random unit selection would effectively stop it.

gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf » July 21st, 2016, 8:29 pm

KaptinKurk wrote: Could a new unit be created dynamically when the game starts so that it may be used with any faction or are units fixed for a given faction? If a new unit cannot be created, would it be possible to change the recruiting cost of a unit? I could have it so that whenever a unit is recruited it gets replaced with a random unit and assign it randomized traits.
Hmm what you could do then is to add a new unit with a recruit event that replaces that unit with a random unit. To get a list of all units in te current era to select one from you can copy code form pick your recuits.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.

KaptinKurk

Post by KaptinKurk » October 23rd, 2016, 3:28 pm

So I decided to take this up by making a new era and having a forced modification.

However, I have run into an initial hurdle. When I try to start the game using the era and the modification, I get

Code: Select all

Error while playing the game: game_error: unknown unit type: null

I have attached the mod.

I would appreciate any assistance in correcting this issue.
Attachments
_main.cfg
(3.61 KiB) Downloaded 74 times